• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It’s time we consider signing Trevor Bauer

Hufflepuff

Should the Angels sign Trevor Bauer?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Sign Trevor Bauer? Yes or no

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

It's insane to me if nobody signs him, and if somebody else gets him that's just stupid, because the Angels absolutely should have been the first ones in the ring. 

Which means of course, they'll blow a perfectly good/cheap opportunity to get our starting rotation in a semi-respectable form. 

Kicking a guy while he's down when he never should have been there in the first place. Super classy. 

I’m sorry this happened to you

1 hour ago, James said:

Trevor Bauer setting himself up for a lawsuit against MLB. How could some team not want him at league minimum? The Halos have given BP arms with little to no track record of success far more this offseason. 

Pay Me 50 Cent GIF by BET Awards

That would just set up a precedent where every player who doesn't get signed sues the MLB.

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

That would just set up a precedent where every player who doesn't get signed sues the MLB.

No it doesn't. Also didn't say he would win such a case. However, he seems the exact personality that would attempt it. 

2 hours ago, James said:

Trevor Bauer setting himself up for a lawsuit against MLB. How could some team not want him at league minimum? The Halos have given BP arms with little to no track record of success far more this offseason. 

Apparently no team wants to have one of its players involved in a lawsuit against the league.

25 minutes ago, James said:

He doesn't have one currently, does he? This doesn't add up. 

No team wants to deal with the PR nightmare and all the noise that will come from signing Bauer.  It's that simple.  If you don't understand that, I don't know what else to tell you.  There have obviously been examples of guys who have actually been charged with/convicted of various domestic crimes that have returned to the majors--but, to the best of my knowledge, none of them have been loud-mouthed, "look at me"-types like Bauer, so the PR blowback wasn't substantial.

(Before the usual folks chime in, I'm in no way claiming he did certain things.  I'm simply talking about the attention that will be focused on him and any team that would sign him.)

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

No team wants to deal with the PR nightmare and all the noise that will come from signing Bauer.  It's that simple.  If you don't understand that, I don't know what else to tell you.  There have obviously been examples of guys who have actually been charged with/convicted of various domestic crimes that have returned to the majors--but, to the best of my knowledge, none of them have been loud-mouthed, "look at me"-types like Bauer, so the PR blowback wasn't substantial.

(Before the usual folks chime in, I'm in no way claiming he did certain things.  I'm simply talking about the attention that will be focused on him and any team that would sign him.)

It shouldn't be a PR nightmare, that's the issue here. Its pretty pathetic that fans would be mad that they signed him based off of those now false allegations. His attitude before this was a concern for many but it didn't stop a team from paying him with a large sum so its hard for me to believe that his "attitude" has created his current situation. Sure seems like he has been found guilty by many even though he isn't.  

1 minute ago, James said:

It shouldn't be a PR nightmare, that's the issue here. Its pretty pathetic that fans would be mad that they signed him based off of those now false allegations. His attitude before this was a concern for many but it didn't stop a team from paying him with a large sum so its hard for me to believe that his "attitude" has created his current situation. Sure seems like he has been found guilty by many even though he isn't.  

Again, if you don't see the reality of what would likely happen, regardless of what should or shouldn't happen, then I don't know how else to explain it to you.

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Again, if you don't see the reality of what would likely happen, regardless of what should or shouldn't happen, then I don't know how else to explain it to you.

I would think from my comments that you could clearly tell I "understand" but fully disagree with that likely sentiment and see an issue with that reality. You're right though, we should just stop talking about it or you could just avoid this thread.  

Edited by James

1 minute ago, James said:

I would think from my comments that you could clearly tell I "understand" but fully disagree and see an issue with the reality. You're right though, we should just stop talking about it or you could just avoid this thread.  

Cool.  Continue to disagree and see an issue with the reality all you want.  I'll check back in like August/September, and I'm sure I'll see you and few other dudes still posting the same thing when no team has signed him.

As for whether the Angels specifically should/will/whatever sign him, can you imagine the narrative that would emerge?  Losing Ohtani and then the "big splash" is signing Bauer?  Lol.

Happy to be proven wrong if some team does take a chance on him.  I'll be the first to chime in and say I was wrong. 

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Cool.  Continue to disagree and see an issue with the reality all you want.  I'll check back in like August/September, and I'm sure I'll see you and few other dudes still posting the same thing when no team has signed him.

As for whether the Angels specifically should/will/whatever sign him, can you imagine the narrative that would emerge?  Losing Ohtani and then the "big splash" is signing Bauer?  Lol.

Happy to be proven wrong if some team does take a chance on him.  I'll be the first to chime in and say I was wrong. 

This is a proven right or wrong topic? I don't think anyone on here has said some team will take the chance, just that a team should. 

Come on back in August if you want. Weird that you would click on this thread at that time considering your takes. I can save you the time, if not signed people will still have plenty to say. 

Here’s how I see it.

If the Halos were already perennial contenders with excellent PR, I could see concern with signing him.

In the Halos case though, he may not be under as much of a microscope from media/fans.

This might be his best MLB landing spot.  Grew up in SoCal plus the above.

We’re not talking long term deal here.  Maybe one season plus team option year?

Edited by Angel Oracle

It should at least be mentioned that teams not wanting to deal with the negative PR of signing Bauer does prevent him from getting a big contract he would normally get, and that only helps to encourage others in the future to fraudulently extort players.

MLB is gonna do what it’s gonna do.  But I hope somebody is at least taking this into consideration and is hopefully working with the union to try to get some processes in place to protect players from being fraudulently extorted.

So many things in life are about perception. Which may or may not correspond to actual facts in some way or other. And perception of public figures is shaped by the media. Again, spin can shape perception.

So regardless of guilt, innocence or some middle ground the perception about Bauer seems already to have become a narrative that MLB (league and teams)  doesn't want to deal with in an ongoing way. 

Bauer obviously doesn't follow the expected script of an abject apology and immediate entry into therapy. In that sense he makes it awkward for any team to place faith in him and subject themselves to unrelenting scrutiny and judgment. 

Arte is no Al Davis. 

It would be a public relations nightmare going in one off-season from the exemplary unicorn to a player with so much negative  baggage.  

41 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

It should at least be mentioned that teams not wanting to deal with the negative PR of signing Bauer does prevent him from getting a big contract he would normally get, and that only helps to encourage others in the future to fraudulently extort players.

MLB is gonna do what it’s gonna do.  But I hope somebody is at least taking this into consideration and is hopefully working with the union to try to get some processes in place to protect players from being fraudulently extorted.

dtwncbad, a champion for unions since 2024.