• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

14 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Ronald Acuna, Jr. is hitting .167 with an OPS of .481

Jose Altuve is hitting .233 with an OPS of .648

Bryce Harper is hitting .227 with an OPS of .619

Matt Olson .200 and .667

It's Spring Training...

Some of you need to take a deep breath when looking at Angels ST stats.

IT'S OVER MAN!

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Given the current roster, are you saying you're not at least somewhat concerned about how the offense will be this year? 

I'm somewhat pessimistic about the whole team, but I'm ready to let the season play out... like always.

Just now, T.G. said:

I'm somewhat pessimistic about the whole team, but I'm ready to let the season play out... like always.

I think most folks here are.  Nothing that I've said about my concerns about the offense indicate I'm not gonna watch or support the team.  I'm ready to let it play out, too--but you can do that and still have questions about the team. 

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I think most folks here are.  Nothing that I've said about my concerns about the offense indicate I'm not gonna watch or support the team.  I'm ready to let it play out, too--but you can do that and still have questions about the team. 

Even if the Angels offense would have been world beaters, I'd still be pessimistic.  I don't take ST all that seriously, one way or the other.

I am also pessimistic about the offense. Last year with Ohtani they were a top 5 AL offense before the ASB, bottom 5 after. You lose Ohtani and you don't add a single hitter to the lineup? Not any single one of significance. And the rotation, which was not good, didn't have any additions either. Just not sure why we couldn't go after a $5-8 million dollar player to play OF or 2B. Maybe they really, really, really like Drury and Rengifo. And no DH? I think without Ohtani, they are at best a middle of the road offense, especially without a single addition. 

19 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I am also pessimistic about the offense. Last year with Ohtani they were a top 5 AL offense before the ASB, bottom 5 after. You lose Ohtani and you don't add a single hitter to the lineup? Not any single one of significance. And the rotation, which was not good, didn't have any additions either. Just not sure why we couldn't go after a $5-8 million dollar player to play OF or 2B. Maybe they really, really, really like Drury and Rengifo. And no DH? I think without Ohtani, they are at best a middle of the road offense, especially without a single addition. 

I haven’t been in favor but signing Martinez would help some…and he would be relatively cheap, compared to Snell…and, if he hits well, give you a chip at the Trade Deadline.

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

Sure, if you assume everything remains static from year to year. Just saying Ohtani is gone and everything else remains the same is kinda disingenuous: Even the Rangers' offensive shift over the last two seasons shows how much a team can change from just one season to the next. The Angels have a new manager and coaching staff, young players who are coming into their prime, and two former MVPs who haven't been healthy in a couple of seasons. Am I saying we're going to have an amazing offense this season? Absolutely not, and I wish we'd brought in another player or two to help with depth, but there's a lot to potential in the lineup - we just seem to get the shit end of the stick every year with injuries. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

Sure, if you assume everything remains static from year to year. Just saying Ohtani is gone and everything else remains the same is kinda disingenuous: Even the Rangers' offensive shift over the last two seasons shows how much a team can change from just one season to the next. The Angels have a new manager and coaching staff, young players who are coming into their prime, and two former MVPs who haven't been healthy in a couple of seasons. Am I saying we're going to have an amazing offense this season? Absolutely not, and I wish we'd brought in another player or two to help with depth, but there's a lot to potential in the lineup - we just seem to get the shit end of the stick every year with injuries. 

I think that's a fair way to look at it.  I guess my feeling is that the offense probably has more variable outcomes than in almost any recent season.  If Trout and Rendon are healthy and are at least in the universe of their prior performance AND the young guys are healthy and take steps forward, the offense could be quite good.  If either Rendon or Trout get hurt for an extended period of time again and/or don't perform up to their standards, then the offense will probably be average.  If Trout/Rendon aren't healthy/don't perform AND a couple of the young guys don't hit like we're all hoping they will, the offense could be disastrous.

Yes, you can come up with scenarios like this for other teams--but given the Angels recent history and the uncertainty around the younger guys, I just think the offense is more of a wild card than most teams' offenses are.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I think that's a fair way to look at it.  I guess my feeling is that the offense probably has more variable outcomes than in almost any recent season.  If Trout and Rendon are healthy and are at least in the universe of their prior performance AND the young guys are healthy and take steps forward, the offense could be quite good.  If either Rendon or Trout get hurt for an extended period of time again and/or don't perform up to their standards, then the offense will probably be average.  If Trout/Rendon aren't healthy/don't perform AND a couple of the young guys don't hit like we're all hoping they will, the offense could be disastrous.

Yes, you can come up with scenarios like this for other teams--but given the Angels recent history and the uncertainty around the younger guys, I just think the offense is more of a wild card than most teams' offenses are.

Absolutely. At this point, it's totally fair to wonder whether we'll get anything from Trout and (especially) Rendon, but you also don't have to squint too hard to see strong seasons from either or both. Neither is particularly old. The vets, like Ward, Drury, Rengifo, and Hicks all were above average hitters last season. The kids - O'Hoppe, Neto, Schanuel, Moniak, and Adell - all have to some extent the ability to break out in a big way. 

But, like you said, Trout and/or Rendon could have just another crappy injury-filled season, the vets could regress, and the kids could fail to take the next step, and we could have a bottom tier offense. There's a ton of volatility - and my biggest concern is that we really need more infield depth. Bringing in a JD Martinez would be huge, imo. 

19 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Absolutely. At this point, it's totally fair to wonder whether we'll get anything from Trout and (especially) Rendon, but you also don't have to squint too hard to see strong seasons from either or both. Neither is particularly old. The vets, like Ward, Drury, Rengifo, and Hicks all were above average hitters last season. The kids - O'Hoppe, Neto, Schanuel, Moniak, and Adell - all have to some extent the ability to break out in a big way. 

But, like you said, Trout and/or Rendon could have just another crappy injury-filled season, the vets could regress, and the kids could fail to take the next step, and we could have a bottom tier offense. There's a ton of volatility - and my biggest concern is that we really need more infield depth. Bringing in a JD Martinez would be huge, imo. 

I agree with all of this. Let the kids play but get some major league depth in here in the event they don’t take the next step and or injuries happen. 

Martinez and a starting pitcher would be a huge boost to this team going into the regular season. I love Trout, he’s my favorite player of all time but I’m just not sold on him playing 150 and not going into any extended slumps. He’s getting to the age where the injuries and games played are going to start to hit the stat line, unfortunately.