• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

39 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

For someone so close to the Angels, and I assume with some “sources”. . . why do all of instincts tell me Lodge just isn’t a good place to get an accurate read on what’s going on?

I think Lodge is the worst, unlistenable. However I suspect the angels feed him info with hopes of influencing the fan base. 

Lodge was adamant for a while that Ohtani loved it here, and Arte wanted him here. Suddenly Lodge shifted the narrative to "that's way too much money for one player" and within a week Dodgers signed him. 

Without remembering specific examples I remember Lodge talking up mid tier type of players and suddenly a day later the angels sign them. I think it played out that way with Esteves. When radio boy talks up a FA and then the Angels sign him, I could see that generating excitement for the average fan. 

Lodge is the worst, but I believe the front office uses him to leak their directions with hopes of manipulating and influencing PR.

So when Lodge says they're out on Snell rather than "Snell would be a huge addition", I suspect that is coming from the bosses and is accurate. 

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

For someone so close to the Angels, and I assume with some “sources”. . . why do all of instincts tell me Lodge just isn’t a good place to get an accurate read on what’s going on?

He’s on the payroll.

26 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I think Lodge is the worst, unlistenable. However I suspect the angels feed him info with hopes of influencing the fan base. 

Lodge was adamant for a while that Ohtani loved it here, and Arte wanted him here. Suddenly Lodge shifted the narrative to "that's way too much money for one player" and within a week Dodgers signed him. 

Without remembering specific examples I remember Lodge talking up mid tier type of players and suddenly a day later the angels sign them. I think it played out that way with Esteves. When radio boy talks up a FA and then the Angels sign him, I could see that generating excitement for the average fan. 

Lodge is the worst, but I believe the front office uses him to leak their directions with hopes of manipulating and influencing PR.

So when Lodge says they're out on Snell rather than "Snell would be a huge addition", I suspect that is coming from the bosses and is accurate. 

I agree with your last sentence, why on earth would the owner or management give any indication on the radio to Boras, what their true desire is at this time. If the price comes into the comfort zone they will jump on it. No cars in the parking lot stuff. My thoughts.

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

It’s painful to listen to him.  He’s perfect for a 9 year old passionate fan that innocently loves the team, and that’s kind of it.

I would compare his purpose and role to like a Mall Santa Claus.

48 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

It’s painful to listen to him.  He’s perfect for a 9 year old passionate fan that innocently loves the team, and that’s kind of it.

I would compare his purpose and role to like a Mall Santa Claus.

All that being said, I guess the question is still whether he is in the loop on the club's current thinking on Snell and Montgomery.  He may be delivering an old message, before the Bellinger signing maybe shifted the market.  Don't know....🤷‍♂️

I think you guys are hanging your hopes on something that isn't going to happen. Be honest with yourselves, do you really believe Minasian would wait this long to make any more free agency offers?

I think whoever is on the spring training roster today is what the Angels are going with opening day. 

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

All that being said, I guess the question is still whether he is in the loop on the club's current thinking on Snell and Montgomery.  He may be delivering an old message, before the Bellinger signing maybe shifted the market.  Don't know....🤷‍♂️

Yeah he is “in the loop” kinda like the mall Santa Claus at fashion island telling a second grader that a new bike isn’t out of the question.

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I think you guys are hanging your hopes on something that isn't going to happen. Be honest with yourselves, do you really believe Minasian would wait this long to make any more free agency offers?

I think whoever is on the spring training roster today is what the Angels are going with opening day. 

So Snell and Montgomery are sitting out 2024.  Blarg, they are signing somewhere.  The Angels have the need and the money.  It’s not crazy talk.  It might not be likely, but CONCLUDING that Angels will not sign either seems like just uncontrolled pessimism.

Edited by Dtwncbad

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So Snell and Montgomery are sitting out 2024.  Blarg, they are signing somewhere.  The Angels have the need and the money.  It’s not crazy talk.  It might not be likely, but CONCLUDING that Angels will not sign either seems like just uncontrolled pessimism.

No, this isn't looked at as a team that is one piece away. Much more likely for them to sign with a contender once said contender has an injury to a sp this spring or a pitcher isn't looking ready. I think it's unlikely the Angels would make such a move at this point. 

23 minutes ago, Blarg said:

image.jpeg

Nobody knows what Arte’s going to do. I prefer hope.

25 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I tend to agree....but with the one caveat that I think Clevinger or Lorenzen could still be in the mix...

16 minutes ago, James said:

No, this isn't looked at as a team that is one piece away. Much more likely for them to sign with a contender once said contender has an injury to a sp this spring or a pitcher isn't looking ready. I think it's unlikely the Angels would make such a move at this point. 

I don’t think the Angels have the farm system to be in the position of being “one piece away.”  So they have to use some free agency to get some players.

I personally reject the idea that you pass on a single player because that one player isn’t the piece that puts them over the top.

it is important to put a quality team on the field even if you don’t make the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Uh oh the fun police are here.

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t think the Angels have the farm system to be in the position of being “one piece away.”  So they have to use some free agency to get some players.

I personally reject the idea that you pass on a single player because that one player isn’t the piece that puts them over the top.

it is important to put a quality team on the field even if you don’t make the playoffs.

Not if it handicaps your financials for pitchers next off-season. Both Snell and Montgomery are far from sure things hence why they aren't getting their asking price. If the demand comes down, I am sure they will talk but sure seems a team that believes they are very close will still pay more than what the Angels would at this point. 

45 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

They could just be signing somewhere. But at this point it's not going to be Anaheim considering the scope of what Minasin has done this off season. 

I like what someone said previously, that while not being a total difference maker, signing either Snell or Montgomery to an overpay 3 year deal shows someone like Burnes a year from now that they want to contend by the time he is a FA, while at the same time not committing too many years to Snell or Montgomery.   Save that for more of a sure thing, like Burnes.

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

They could just be signing somewhere. But at this point it's not going to be Anaheim considering the scope of what Minasin has done this off season. 

I don’t think that is actual logic.  Minasian mostly spent on the bullpen but it has been reported many times that they were looking for rotation pieces.

It is more logical that they have just not liked the asking prices of the rotation pieces and are simply watching closely to see if a deal more to their liking is possible.

23 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I see it as the exact opposite. When you consider the s ops of what Minasian has done this off season the only logical conclusion is they’ll add starting pitching. 

My overall take is the post-Ohtani plan is to attempt to be competitive by having a good rotation, a good bullpen, an adequate offense and play good defense.  That profile of a team can be a playoff team.

Adding a good starter fits that plan.  Of course you don’t just throw an insane contract at Snell or Montgomery.  But you absolutely stay close to the market them and be prepared to make a move if the numbers fit the plan.

Until Snell and Montgomery sign somewhere, it doesn’t seem unreasonable to consider the Angels as a possible landing spot.

And repeating, signing a Snell or Montgomery would not prevent the Angels from pursuing somebody like Burnes next year unless they way overpaid for one of them, which they obviously are not doing. . .if they were going to be reckless and overpay, it would have happened already.