• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

Based off of Arte’s recent comments of the budget being lower. I take it as he’s not willing to get as close to the luxury tax as last year but willing to spend money if he thinks it will sell jerseys/tickets and of course hopefully make our team better which to him means selling more tickets. Anyways with that being said, we finished with a Tax Payroll of $232million last year and so far this year we are projected at $180million. For fun let's say Perry has 30-35 million left to spend because Arte doesn’t want to get too close to that luxury tax again. Again for fun let’s just say these are your two options for Perry (once we complete these deals, our off-season would theoretically be done), which option would you choose and why?

Option A

Sign Blake Snell or Monty (exercise sake say they both cost same)

Sign Kike Hernandez

Option B

Sign JD Martinez

Sign Michael Lorenzen

Sign Gio Urshela

22 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Again for fun let’s just say these are your two options for Perry (once we complete these deals, our off-season would theoretically be done), which option would you choose and why?

Option A, since Snell/Montgomery improve the team for more than just this season.

But I’d be cool with either.

39 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Based off of Arte’s recent comments of the budget being lower. I take it as he’s not willing to get as close to the luxury tax as last year but willing to spend money if he thinks it will sell jerseys/tickets and of course hopefully make our team better which to him means selling more tickets. Anyways with that being said, we finished with a Tax Payroll of $232million last year and so far this year we are projected at $180million. For fun let's say Perry has 30-35 million left to spend because Arte doesn’t want to get too close to that luxury tax again. Again for fun let’s just say these are your two options for Perry (once we complete these deals, our off-season would theoretically be done), which option would you choose and why?

Option A

Sign Kike Hernandez

Option B

Sign JD Martinez

Sign Michael Lorenzen

Sign Gio Urshela

Option A, but I believe Urshela can still be acquired instead of Kike 

19 hours ago, Chuck said:

and to me, it would make the team substantially better. 

But I don't know man, the baseball people in the front office wouldn't trade Ohtani because they thought they had a chance to make the postseason and liked their chances at retaining the superstar, yet most of the players knew all along he was gone. 

The disconnected from the people down on the ground and those in the front office is mind boggling.

That would seem to be a bigger impediment to building a strong baseball ops department than anything else. Everyone has to be on the same page, from ownership to the clubhouse. Fixing this would improve the team more substantially than any FA can. Shiny start players can mask issues like this, but they don’t fix them.

3 hours ago, Ochocinco! said:

Option A

Sign Kike Hernandez

Option B

Sign JD Martinez

Sign Michael Lorenzen

Sign Gio Urshela

Option C

Montgomery and Belt

1 hour ago, BTH said:

My first reaction was why?

Maybe he recently held a workout or something where he impressed them? Milb deal, so not a big deal, but seems pointless.

Matt Moore's recent career revival as a reliever began with a minor league deal offered by the Rangers just before the '22 season...he's been guaranteed to make about $15M from the Angels since.

Not singling you out, but, it always amazes me whenever anyone is basically critical of a non-guaranteed, minor league deal. About as close to zero-risk as possible. If it works out in any way it's all reward. Just another body in ST.

Edited by totdprods

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Matt Moore's recent career revival as a reliever began with a minor league deal offered by the Rangers just before the '22 season...he's been guaranteed to make about $15M from the Angels since.

Not singling you out, but, it always amazes me whenever anyone is basically critical of a non-guaranteed, minor league deal. About as close to zero-risk as possible. If it works out in any way it's all reward. Just another body in ST.

If you're referring to me, I'm not being "critical" of the signing, either.  It's a "whatever" to me.  I was just pointing out that he was truly awful last year and then no one picked him after he was released until now.  I don't actually give a shit if they invite him to spring training.

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

If you're referring to me, I'm not being "critical" of the signing, either.  It's a "whatever" to me.  I was just pointing out that he was truly awful last year and then no one picked him after he was released until now.  I don't actually give a shit if they invite him to spring training.

not referring to anyone. most guys who sign minor league deals were awful the year before, and sometimes they wind up being pretty great, as in Matt Moore. Odds are likely Hunter Strickland won't be great, but we never expected Blake Parker to do what he did for a bit here. 

It's just funny any time anyone is signed to a minor league deal there's usually a handful of people complaining in some way.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

not referring to anyone. most guys who sign minor league deals were awful the year before, and sometimes they wind up being pretty great, as in Matt Moore. Odds are likely Hunter Strickland won't be great, but we never expected Blake Parker to do what he did for a bit here. 

It's just funny any time anyone is signed to a minor league deal there's usually a handful of people complaining in some way.

Doesn't seem like anyone is complaining here

33 minutes ago, mmc said:

Doesn't seem like anyone is complaining here

2 hours ago, BTH said:

why?

Maybe he recently held a workout or something where he impressed them? Milb deal, so not a big deal, but seems pointless.