• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

16 hours ago, mmc said:

None of the remaining free-agent position players could possibly replace Shohei Ohtani’s production. So, the Angels likely will not even try to add a full-time DH, not when it would benefit them to keep that spot open for the oft-injured Mike Trout and Anthony Rendon, among others.

The Angels, with needs in multiple areas, can proceed in any number of directions, according to sources briefed on their plans. The team is open to adding position players. But for now, the group is pretty much set.

The outfield consists of Trout in center, Taylor Ward in left and Mickey Moniakin right. The infield is Nolan Schanuel at first, Brandon Drury at second, Zach Netoat short and Rendon at third. Logan O’Hoppe and Matt Thaiss are the catchers.

Considering the recent injury histories of Trout and Rendon, the Angels obviously need capable backups in both center and at third. Luis Rengifo, who had a .960 OPS after the All-Star break, provides depth in both the infield and outfield. Jo Adell is another outfield option.

If healthy — always a big if with the Angels — that isn’t a bad offensive unit. And while the team will pursue a middle-of-the-order bat, it doesn’t need to necessarily focus on one position. Schanuel can be optioned or perhaps used in the outfield. Drury can play every infield position but shortstop, and the corner-outfield spots as well. The addition of an outfielder would create more opportunities for Trout at DH.

The other aspect of replacing Ohtani, of course, is finding a top-of-the-rotation starter. The Angels, sources said, are among the teams in the trade market for one of the starting pitchers under one year of club control — the Brewers’ Corbin Burnes, Rays’ Tyler Glasnow and Guardians’ Shane Bieber. They also could look at the second tier of free-agent starters. Angels GM Perry Minasian was the Blue Jays’ assistant GM during Marcus Stroman’s tenure with the team from 2014 to ‘19.

Similar to the lineup, the Angels’ rotation of Patrick Sandoval, Reid Detmers, Tyler Anderson, Chase Silseth and Griffin Canning is not without promise. If the Angels are unable to land a quality starter, they might simply load up on relievers. Ideally, they will fortify both areas.

The commitment to mediocrity is impressive.

4 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm looking at Snell's numbers last year. He pitched 6 or more innings 20 of his starts last year. The narrative of he only goes 5 is not factual. 

This is true. The downside though is that he only tops out around 120-130 innings in non-CY seasons. 

5 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm looking at Snell's numbers last year. He pitched 6 or more innings 20 of his starts last year. The narrative of he only goes 5 is not factual. 

Thanks for looking that up. I didn’t watch last season as intensely as I always do and even I thought Snell couldn’t pitch deep into games. I think Tampa gave him that reputation 

27 minutes ago, James said:

And here in lies the problem with the organization. Arte needs to give the money to the baseball people and step back. If the coaching staff and the players are in support of Bauer, you make the move. If Washington and/or Trout says they have concerns from the player or coach perspective, you dont do it. Never should it be Arte making this decision. You want players to buy in? Empower them!

In most cases I would agree but if I were the owner I would want to be in the loop on controversial figures such as Bauer.

14 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Looking further, this was true - but in 2023. 
In 2022, he also didn't get to the 6th in almost half (10) of his 24 GS.
In 2021, it was 19 of 27 GS.

Reiterates what I'm seeing - when Blake Snell is on, he dominates. One of the best pitchers in the game, if not the best. 
Problem is he's done that twice, and in all other seasons, he's basically just a competent SP a la a #4. And for a guy who led the league in walks last year, I'm more worried he's gonna fall apart sooner rather than later - meaning his best years you can hope for might be '24 and '25, and I'm not really hyped on the Angels being highly competitive those years even if they spend big this winter.

Edited by totdprods

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Looking further, this was true - but in 2023. 
In 2022, he also didn't get to the 6th in almost half (10) of his 24 GS.
In 2021, it was 19 of 27 GS.

I did this once already -- just cut and pasting from the previous post.

6.0 IP starts

23 - 20/32
22 - 9/25
21 - 7/27
20 - 0/11
19 - 10/23 

18 - 19/31

He's managed to complete 6 innings in only 65 of 148 starts since 2018.  He has in fact averaged less than 5 1/3 IP per start since his Cy Young season. -- mostly because while he's hard to hit he will lose command for periods of time and walks a ton of guys.

But.. "last year".

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I did this once already -- just cut and pasting from the previous post.

6.0 IP starts

23 - 20/32
22 - 9/25
21 - 7/27
20 - 0/11
19 - 10/23 

18 - 19/31

He's managed to complete 6 innings in only 65 of 148 starts since 2018.  He has in fact averaged less than 5 1/3 IP per start since his Cy Young season. -- mostly because while he's hard to hit he will lose command for periods of time and walks a ton of guys.

But.. "last year".

He walks a lot but his contact is really weak. He's far from perfect, but he'd help us a ton IMO 

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Damn. I thought Gray and Lugo were the best arms per cost. Both gone 

Same. Gray, ERod, and Lugo were my top three for cost. Now, aside from the Japanese arms, it's like Stroman and ? Wacha? Flaherty? Giolito?

Also I bet KC paid quite a bit to pull him to Kansas City, probably inflating cost. What should've been like a 3/$30m will probably be more like 3/$45m

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Same. Gray, ERod, and Lugo were my top three for cost. Now, aside from the Japanese arms, it's like Stroman and ? Wacha? Flaherty? Giolito?

Also I bet KC paid quite a bit to pull him to Kansas City, probably inflating cost. What should've been like a 3/$30m will probably be more like 3/$45m

lol. dead on

Just now, Make Angels Great Again said:

lol. dead on

I remember hearing at one point 3/$42m was being mentioned for him, which felt high...would've gone 3/$39m like Tyler Anderson but $15m a year for his age and lack of SP track record is a bit dicey.

It'll be interesting if KC flips him halfway through - I keep saying the Halos need to jump on a couple of these 3/30-40 guys and hopefully sell high.