• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Build your All-Time Team

Chuck

20 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Rogers Hornsby instead of Alomar at 2B

Christy Mathewson instead of Spahn

Ruth at DH in place of Henderson

I wanted to go with Hornsby but I really liked Alomar's defense and his offense and stolen bases put him over the top for me. 

Wanted a legit leadoff hitter with speed so I went with Henderson over Ruth or Bonds at DH. 

Could have went with Randy Johnson or Pedro over Spahn maybe. 

Essentially I wanted a balance lineup. 

For the purpose of variety, my team will only consist of players I've watched play. I'm 34 and I didn't get into baseball until 2003. So yeah, unfortunately, I wasn't even interested in baseball yet when the Angels won their only championship. And it is what it is, the steroid era was the thing when I became a fan so this includes cheaters.

1B Miguel Cabrera (sorry Pujols, you tapered off too fast)

2B Robinson Cano

3B Alex Rodriguez

SS Derek Jeter

LF Barry Bonds

RF Vladimir Guerrero (he connected my soul to the Angels)

CF Mike Trout

C Buster Posey

DH David Ortiz (sorry Shohei, you're just not quite as scary as Big Papi was)

SP Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander

RP Francisco Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera

@Chuckster70 this is one of those things, I think about when I can't get to sleep.  I make lists like this in my head hoping it will put me to sleep. That's not a slam by any means... it's something I've done a lot.

My list "all-time" team is based on favorites.  My all-time favorites at each position.

1B - Willie McCovey - He was just such an imposing figure. His deliberate warm up swings in the box were awesome. It made me fear for the safety of the opposing first basemen.

2B - Bobby Grich - C'mon now.  Of course it's Bob-bay!

3B - Brooks Robinson.  Those diving grabs at the hot corner were fun to watch

SS - Andrelton Simmons - One of the best things about being a baseball fan was watching Simmons field his position.  Just magical.

C - Mike Piazza.  Yeah, I know he's a Dodger, but man I loved to watch him swing the bat

RF - Roberto Clemente - So many great RFers over the years, but he was my favorite player of all time until a certain CFer came along

CF - Torii Hunter - Even before he was an Angel, Hunter was my favorite player at the time.  Once he became an Angel and I actually had a few chances to interact with him, he became my favorite player of all time.  Every time I walked away from any encounter with him, I would smile.  Watching him play the game was just pure joy to me.

LF - Rickey Henderson - I love guys who can disrupt the game with their speed.  Henderson was just a hoss. Quirky as heck, but as a baseball player - he was awesome.  Born to play this game.

DH - Shohei Ohtani.  My list wouldn't be complete without him.  He's just the best player I've ever seen.

SP - Jered Weaver.  Dirtbag. Just loved his competitive spirit.  He was also great with the fans.

SP - Chuck Finley. Just another grinder who had that great competitive spirit

SP - Todd Stottlemyre - A strange pick for sure, but he was in the same Wever, Finley mode that I admired. I can still picture him and Finley pitching late in a game, looking into the batter box, sweat dripping off the bill of their caps and then going after the hitter.

SP - Shohei Ohtani - No explanation necessary.

SP - John Candelaria - The Pirates version.  I loved the Candy Man.  I used to be somewhat of a closet Pirates fan

Closer - Troy Percival.  Another gritty pitcher with a lot of moxy

1B Pujols (10 years with the cardinals still better than anyone else ever)

2B Rod Carew or Craig Biggio

3B Chipper Jones

SS Alex Rodriguez

LF Barry Bonds

RF Tony Gwynn (Vladdy too because i'm a homer)

CF Ken Griffey Jr

C Pudge Rodriguez

DH Edgar Martinez (Ohtani but longevity will be what seperates him)

SP  Randy Johnson, Koufax, Greg Maddux, Pedro, Roger Clemens

RP  Mariano Rivera, Percival

1B - Mark McGwire (who cares about the juice - dude was an all-time beast when healthy)

2B - Alomar - In spite of his expectorating...

3B - Scott Rolen (with all due respect to Mike Schmidt)

SS - Omar Vizquel - not much with the bat, but I've never seen a better glove...

C - Buster Posey (I'm just not convinced Bench was better)...

RF - Vlad Guerrero - prior to Ohtani, Vlad was the most hypnotic player I ever watched... (And Roberto Clemente is one of my all-time favs)

CF - Trout... period...

LF - Barry Bonds (see Mac above)...

DH - Shohei Ohtani - hits for power... and did I mention he could fly around the bases and steal a bag...

SP - Bob Gibson is my #1 (by a country mile!), Koufax, Pedro Martinez, Gregg Maddux, Roger Clemens (even though I didn't like him)

RP - Scott Shields... best set up man I've ever seen (and he was so consistent for so long), Mariano Rivera (duh)

Edited by Deek

Man .... I used to eat this stuff up a few decades ago. But in the nineties I became very cynical about the sport. Steroids, that asshole Bud Selig, the Expos demise are a few reasons. My point being that I have a disconnect with a lot of the history and player stats over about a fifteen year or so period. 

That said, most of the names others have listed seem fully legitimate candidates. 

From my own personal memories and past reading/study I would first qualify the question. 

Is it based on total career, one peak season or a prime period within the career? 

Just a few names here off the top of my head rather than a full lineup. I'd have to spend time I don't have now checking data. I know I'm missing others but these come to mind immediately. 

If just a prime period of five or so years I would add Koufax. Totally dominant and probably the main reason he carried a limited Dodger team to a number of pennants and series wins. Injuries cut down his longevity. And he also had a longer period of adjustment entering the league. 

Bob Gibson for sure. Intimidating and a workhorse. Great career.

Steve Carlton during his peak years. 

Mantle would have to be on a team somewhere. His switch hitting prowess is overlooked. In a lineup of greats that would be a factor. Also great speed before all his injuries. And a pretty good outfielder. 

Schmidt at third. I saw him in person a lot during his career. Very smart, quick in the field and a clutch hitter with power. Dominant at his position for some years. 

I'd also find a place for Pete Rose. 'Charlie Hustle' didn't have a dominant peak season but was as consistent as anyone ever.  He was usually in the top ten for batting average so taken for granted as a hitter. Also played multiple positions and had big leadership qualities. He would always find a way to make a difference. Also a switch hitter.

Joe Morgan at second based mostly on his career in Cinci. A big part of their championship teams. I still can visualize his 'chicken wing' routine in the batter's box. 

Ernie Banks at short based on his mid fifties prime years. Played on a terrible Cubs team, but back to back MVPs and consistent power hitter. Competent enough in the field and later moved to first. 

Yogi Berra wasn't in the class defensively with Bench, Carter or other great two way catchers. But he was better than his later image would suggest. He handled many Yankee staffs that had stats near the best in the league. Very smart and a leader. Maybe one of the best 'bad ball' hitters in history. Also a good clutch hitter for average and power. Played the outfield too in his later years. Not a bad addition to any greats team. 

Mike Marshall as a closer or seventh/eighth inning reliever based on his early seventies peak years. Including the 1974 Cy Young. Not as well known or celebrated as a number of others. But in his day closers were just starting to be recognized for their importance, but weren't used exclusively for one inning.

I could go on but I'll just add one more based on some sentimentality. Larry Walker. He's from the same neighborhood as my wife, and I followed his career from local teenager to MVP. Playing in Denver will always be a factor in judging his stats, but he was a tremendous athlete and an emerging superstar with the Expos. He had elite talent with all the basic tools and in his prime could be as dangerous as anyone.