• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lorenzen

Torridd

Lorenzen is the fourth pitcher out of Fullerton Union High School in Fullerton, Calif., to reach the Majors; all four have thrown a no-hitter (as noted by X user @StrangedeBill1). Hall of Famer Walter Johnson pitched a no-hitter for the Washington Senators against the Red Sox in 1920, Steve Busby of the Royals no-hit the Brewers in '74 and Mike Warren of the A’s no-hit the White Sox in '83.

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

Just saw the condensed clip of his no-hitter yesterday. Kudos to him but I really think it's a "baseball" thing. He was pitching to the right team on the right day. I like him but I'm glad we got Giolito instead of him.

Nobody had a crystal ball but Lorenzen wouldn't have cost us 2 of our best prospects, maybe the top two.....I do hope Giolito finishes strong and signs with the Angels this offseason....I think that is very possible...

11 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

We got Anderson instead of him. 

This isn’t really accurate. 

They were 2 different categories. One guy was just an All Star who had a 2.50 ERA and the other was a converted reliever who had just pitched half a season around an injury. 

The Angels signed Anderson and then they still tried to sign Lorenzen. I tried to press Lorenzen to see whose decision it was not to sign with the Angels and he stuck to “mutual.”

I believe it’s possible the Angels just didn’t pursue him as hard as the Tigers did. I also believe it’s possible that he decided it was better for his career to pitch for the Tigers (pitch in a great pitchers park in a bad division to set yourself up for a bigger payday in a year)

21 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This isn’t really accurate. 

They were 2 different categories. One guy was just an All Star who had a 2.50 ERA and the other was a converted reliever who had just pitched half a season around an injury. 

The Angels signed Anderson and then they still tried to sign Lorenzen. I tried to press Lorenzen to see whose decision it was not to sign with the Angels and he stuck to “mutual.”

I believe it’s possible the Angels just didn’t pursue him as hard as the Tigers did. I also believe it’s possible that he decided it was better for his career to pitch for the Tigers (pitch in a great pitchers park in a bad division to set yourself up for a bigger payday in a year)

Sir.  Plz stop harassing me.  Thank you. 

Also, I love you. 

15 hours ago, T.G. said:

Lorenzen is the fourth pitcher out of Fullerton Union High School in Fullerton, Calif., to reach the Majors; all four have thrown a no-hitter (as noted by X user @StrangedeBill1). Hall of Famer Walter Johnson pitched a no-hitter for the Washington Senators against the Red Sox in 1920, Steve Busby of the Royals no-hit the Brewers in '74 and Mike Warren of the A’s no-hit the White Sox in '83.

Not only is that crazy, but I'm kind of blown away (don't know why) that Fullerton even had a high school in 1920.

On 8/10/2023 at 10:49 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not only is that crazy, but I'm kind of blown away (don't know why) that Fullerton even had a high school in 1920.

Fullerton High School at it's current location was built in 1911. Previously it was by Amerige Park but that location burned down. 

Check out the cool school buses back then.

440px-Fullerton_Union_High_School_buses_

Hall of Fame pitcher Walter Johnson went there. 

23 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Go read about Johnson vs Ruth exhibition in Brea.  Halloween 1924. 

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Fullerton High School at it's current location was built in 1911. Previously it was by Amerige Park but that location burned down. 

That's crazy. Don't know why, just seems like sci-fi to me.

OC was wide open and orange groves back then. I just picture people living there in 1920 being more "we need to survive" than "read Whuthering Heights and we're going to test you next week"

And top that off with the fact HOF guys made their way out here... Brea and Fullerton.

Crazy.

37 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

That's crazy. Don't know why, just seems like sci-fi to me.

OC was wide open and orange groves back then. I just picture people living there in 1920 being more "we need to survive" than "read Whuthering Heights and we're going to test you next week"

And top that off with the fact HOF guys made their way out here... Brea and Fullerton.

Crazy.

There was a lot of baseball then. Vernon/Venice tigers, the original LA Angels played at Washington Park in LA from 1903 to the 20s when they moved to the original Wrigley field in LA.  

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

The palm tree in that photo is now 250 feet tall.