• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (8/2/23 9:20am Pacific): Angels @ Braves: Giolito on the mound, Adams in CF

6 games in to 25 games in a row against teams over .500. 2-4 is not a good way to start at all. 

26th now if batting with RISP this season and with RISP and 2 outs. It's killed them this season. 

Of the guys with a significant number of at bats:

Renfroe .173

Rengifo . 200

Ward .211

Trout .214

Ohtani .306 and Drury .303 the only consistent clutch hitters they've had all season. Moniak was too, before falling off a cliff the last week.

1 hour ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

What is your counter argument? 'wow...just wow.' Well said.

Fact is they are 5.5 (about to be 6) GB despite having everyone in the opening day lineup sans Renfroe and Ohtani missing significant time. I would say that is good enough for over a 6 game difference. Your rebuttal? Let me guess: "Noooo, just no"

How were they doing before the injuries?  Not leading the division.  Don't tell me Gio/etc. now makes the Angels so much better -- because both Texas and Houston got WAY better at the TDL.  

Seriously, being a fan is great and supporting the team.  But don't turn your head away from facts and reality -- they can prevent you from turning into a soccer mom.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I almost made the trip down again to take in this series and was going to attend yesterday and today's games for my birthday, but it was too close to making the driving trip from So. Cal to TN and quite frankly I was done with driving.

Looks like I made the right choice. 

We need to revive AW Southern Comfort event

42 minutes ago, Skips said:

How were they doing before the injuries?  Not leading the division.  Don't tell me Gio/etc. now makes the Angels so much better -- because both Texas and Houston got WAY better at the TDL.  

Seriously, being a fan is great and supporting the team.  But don't turn your head away from facts and reality -- they can prevent you from turning into a soccer mom.

O'Hoppe was hurt pretty early on in the season so the injuries started early but to answer your question, they were around 8 games over when 3/4 of the infield went down. That is a fact. So they were better than they are now and certainly would have had a better record with those guys available. Again, they would be closer or in 1st in the division. 

That is my point that, for some reason, you don't think is at all possible. I don't get it but you do you.

15 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

O'Hoppe was hurt pretty early on in the season so the injuries started early but to answer your question, they were around 8 games over when 3/4 of the infield went down. That is a fact. So they were better than they are now and certainly would have had a better record with those guys available. Again, they would be closer or in 1st in the division. 

That is my point that, for some reason, you don't think is at all possible. I don't get it but you do you.

You went from a certainty (they would be in first) to now saying it would be a possibility.  I wonder what's next.

Listen, i love the passion and the support/positivity.  But you seriously think O'Hoppe would have made the difference?  If anything, he was likely playing a little over his head and a come down was soon when the book got out on him.  Then you hope he could make the proper adjustments.  Regardless, you keep talkign injuries.  You do realize every team has injuries right?  Texas has lost a bunch of their top guys are periods.  IDK about Houston, but i'm guessing they have had injuries.  That's why the angels are not anything more than an average team -- lack of depth for when inevitable injuries occur.  The pitching staff has been pretty healthy for the year -- and they simply are not good enough....at least not good enough to win this division.  Or live in a dream world -- you do you 😉

1 hour ago, Skips said:

You went from a certainty (they would be in first) to now saying it would be a possibility.  I wonder what's next.

Listen, i love the passion and the support/positivity.  But you seriously think O'Hoppe would have made the difference?  If anything, he was likely playing a little over his head and a come down was soon when the book got out on him.  Then you hope he could make the proper adjustments.  Regardless, you keep talkign injuries.  You do realize every team has injuries right?  Texas has lost a bunch of their top guys are periods.  IDK about Houston, but i'm guessing they have had injuries.  That's why the angels are not anything more than an average team -- lack of depth for when inevitable injuries occur.  The pitching staff has been pretty healthy for the year -- and they simply are not good enough....at least not good enough to win this division.  Or live in a dream world -- you do you 😉

Your first point is valid. The rest we will agree to disagree on. Nearly half the 40 man is injured, that is most certainly not applicable to every team. Anyways, I'll drop it now, enjoy the rest of your day.

5 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

What's the reason for Adams starting? Rest day for Moniak? 

Moniak has a foot injury (from a foul ball off his foot), and it has been bothering him for some time.  Moniak has been trying to play through it, but this is what happens when you try to do it.

3 hours ago, Skips said:

It is not only the direct effect of the injuries, but also the emotional damage caused by losing six players in just 2 or three days.

No coincidence the pitching totally tanked when all the injuries occurred. Injuries caused too much collective stress to the staff.

Without all the injuries this is a playoff team, but maybe not a division winner

59 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

It is not only the direct effect of the injuries, but also the emotional damage caused by losing six players in just 2 or three days.

No coincidence the pitching totally tanked when all the injuries occurred. Injuries caused too much collective stress to the staff.

Without all the injuries this is a playoff team, but maybe not a division winner

Yes.  Some injuries can be expected, but given an even outcome on position players we are definitely a playoff team.  Don’t forget that Rendon and Trout and now Ward are the middle of the lineup we expected at least 3/4 of the time.  Or that’s what I was thinking when I predicted 90 wins when smart respected voices were saying 86-88.