• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Quesions about Arte Moreno

Chico

I was wondering about the handling of Ohtani during this trade deadline...Is Ohtani not being traded a 100% done deal? If so, and this might be obvious but did Moreno personally decide that Ohtani was going to stay, or was this a Minasian decision? I wonder to what extent Moreno still gets involved in making personnel decisions after blowing so many others that involved mega-bucks? All this long-term decision making with an owner who in the not too distant past said "Now is the time" and was going to sell the team. Then a few months later he backed out without taking any bids.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If people really believe that an owner is not going to be intimately involved in a decision regarding somebody like Ohtani, they are just straight up fucking delusional. 

Who said they don't believe Moreno was involved?

28 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

This guy:

image.jpeg

Swing and a miss.

You can’t really take the position that there isn’t a massive number of people that never stop complaining about Moreno being involved in baseball decisions.

My post simply asserts that any owner would be involved in a Ohtani level decision.

If you think that Arte Moreno wouldn't get involved then you dead wrong.  They were just talking about the trades being made near the deadline on the MLB channel in general.   They said if you think a GM can make these trades just sitting in his office and deciding you are wrong.  In today's game trades have to be discussed throughout the organization, and sold to upper management before they can be done.  It used to be a GM could do it alone, not anymore.

36 minutes ago, Taylor said:

If someone says Arte is a lizard person with human skin to disguise himself, they are just straight up fucking delusional. 

I stand corrected.  Nobody says Arte is too involved with baseball decisions.  I don’t know what I was thinking. 

Arte is the primary reason our team struggles.  He injects far more than an owner should.  This organization doesn't make "organizational decisions," but is instead driven by Arte's business ($) approach.

Think about it.  We took Ohtani off the market (when he should have been shopped last year at this time) a week early, with multiple starters out indefinitely, while 3 games out of the wildcard and a very difficult schedule ahead, in one of the biggest "sellers" markets in recent history.  Just think about that.

Perry, whose job is on the line, then dealt what little we had in the way of the farm in an effort to go "all in."

What I feel is lost on people is this.....what if it works?  We make the playoffs AND sign Ohtani (assuming everyone understands the odds of making, much less winning, the World Series is extremely unlikely).  We "succeeded" with our plan to make the playoffs AND Ohtani decides to sign with us.  Wonderful.

Bear with me.  With Arte as owner and unwillingness to increase payroll beyond the threshold (it's been 20 years since he's owned the club and it's NEVER happened, even with Mike in his prime years), what the hell is the plan?  We have a baren farm system with Ohtani, Rendon, Mike and Anderson combining to 138+ million and they will all be 30 or older.  FFS, when will this team learn?

IF, IF, IF Arte was willing to spend as he hasn't in two decades, I would be behind it.  But this notion of "going for it to only make the playoffs because as fans we really have that as an end-goal" just doesn't resonate with me.  I wish my team was run organizationally with the idea they would compete every year.  Yet, here we are, with "stars" on our roster every single year for the past 20 with nothing to show for it.  

Just exhausting.

We have some wonderful young talent.  O'hoppe, Neto, Moniak, Detmers, Sandoval and many more.  I would have much preferred we traded Ohtani in an effort to acquire more farm/cusp talent, kept Bush/Quero, and build organizationally.  I honestly believe this pathway would have surely gotten Mike to the playoffs, rather regularly, in last half-decade than the current approach.  More importantly, it would have jived with the parameters the owner has set for the past 20 years in terms of salary limitations.  

Arte's fault from a baseball fans perspective isn't in his willingness to spend, but rather in his requirement it be on "stars" that will put people in the seats.  

I've been a Rams (and Angels) fan since '78.  Stan's approach to owning a team should have a book written about it.  Nothing gets done without his stamp, but he trusts the people he hires to the degree he almost never intercedes.  

My rant is over and I'll continue to have my mood change with the results of every Angels game as I have for the past few decades.  I'll do my best to go "all in" with the current club, which I honestly feel is as "put together" as any in recent memory (injuries aside).  I just don't understand the end game, but I will worry about that this winter!