• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: What type of package could the Angels get if they trade Shohei Ohtani?

9 hours ago, Trendon said:

I don’t really understand why trading him would significant hurt their chances of re-signing him after the season.

I understand it if the premise is them trading him means they’re not making the playoffs, and them not making the playoffs means he isn’t signing back with the Angels.

So is that the reason?

Because outside of that, I don’t see how it’d hurt their chances.

Because there’s no indication he’d sign an extension before free agency and the Angels future arguably looks better with an Ohtani trade haul in the org and him re-signing in the offseason.

I asked why players never get traded and come back. I was told 

1. when a player gets traded, it’s usually because the team trading him either is bad or can’t afford him, both of which act against the team re-signing the player. Obviously, in the Angels case those may not be issues.

2. When a player has never played for another team, there are a lot of unknowns about going somewhere else. How would another team treat him? Other fans? Living in another city? Etc. So then once a guy gets traded, his previous team no longer has those advantages. The player is much more comfortable with changing teams because he already did it, without having to choose. (It’s worth noting that Chapman, who was the one guy everyone points to who did come back, had previously been traded already, from the Reds to the Yankees.)

I realize many of you don’t want to believe this, but the Angels believe it. And they know the industry and know Ohtani better than any of us.

Another thing that didn’t get specifically spelled out in the story is that teams now value prospects and young players much differently than even 10 years ago, so you can’t look at comps from the CC Sabathia or Mark Teixeira deals. 

There is a much better understanding now of the huge amount of excess value you get from productive 0-3 players. 

Not quite the same thing, but anyone with more time and capability able to pull a rough prospect layout of all the compensatory picks the angels have lost (even though its not likely the angels would have selected those same players) and see if those prospects produced more than the players the angels signed that lost those picks?

Feels like that would be an interesting narriative on the "build through the draft vs free agency notion"

33 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

2. When a player has never played for another team, there are a lot of unknowns about going somewhere else. How would another team treat him? Other fans? Living in another city? Etc. So then once a guy gets traded, his previous team no longer has those advantages. The player is much more comfortable with changing teams because he already did it, without having to choose.

Ok, this makes some sense. Thank you.

I suppose the other side would be that if you trade him, maybe he doesn’t like it with the new team and realizes that he likes Anaheim much better. But that’s a risk, and the downside is obvious.

We'll know more in a week. Three games vs the Pirates and Tigers. If they go 4-2 or better, I don't think they trade him. 3-3 probably not, 2-4 maybe, 1-5 maybe, 0-6 Perry will be on the phone, but then would still have to convince Arte.

So chances are, he won't be traded, imo. They'd have to totally collapse and be utterly wowed by an offer. I think there's a chance someone offers them a package that will be hard to refuse, but even then it seems unlikely, given that there will still likely be some chance of a playoff run going into August and perhaps more so, because they want a better chance of re-signing him.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

We'll know more in a week. Three games vs the Pirates and Tigers. If they go 4-2 or better, I don't think they trade him. 3-3 probably not, 2-4 maybe, 1-5 maybe, 0-6 Perry will be on the phone, but then would still have to convince Arte.

So chances are, he won't be traded, imo. They'd have to totally collapse and be utterly wowed by an offer. I think there's a chance someone offers them a package that will be hard to refuse, but even then it seems unlikely, given that there will still likely be some chance of a playoff run going into August and perhaps more so, because they want a better chance of re-signing him.

Also depends on what teams in front of halos do in next week