• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shouldn't Trout be batting third?

Least clutch player in baseball? Definitely not. But he is far from clutch (at least this season), that's for sure.

The clutch stat doesn't mean he's bad player in high leverage situations as it's only comparing him with himself. It's more that he's amazingly good in low leverage situations, and merely very good in high leverage sitautions. 

The clutch stat doesn't mean he's bad player in high leverage situations as it's only comparing him with himself. It's more that he's amazingly good in low leverage situations, and merely very good in high leverage sitautions. 

I agree with what you are saying although in limited sample this year, he hasn't been very good in high leverage situations. 

Trout has a 42 wrc+ in high leverage situations this year.

Call spade a spade and say he has been awful in clutch situations this year and not very good like you stated.

Trout has a 42 wrc+ in high leverage situations this year.

Call spade a spade and say he has been awful in clutch situations this year and not very good like you stated.

this piqued my curiosity so I looked up other Angels wrc+'s in high leverage situations:

Albert Pujols - 157

Mark Trumbo - 111

Howie Kendrick - 90

Mike Trout - 42

Josh Hamilton - 3

I suppose instead of "very good" I should have said "better than Josh Hamilton" (which is actaully who I was comparing Trout to  when I came up with the comment)

this piqued my curiosity so I looked up other Angels wrc+'s in high leverage situations:

Albert Pujols - 157

Mark Trumbo - 111

Howie Kendrick - 90

Mike Trout - 42

Josh Hamilton - 3

I suppose instead of "very good" I should have said "better than Josh Hamilton" (which is actaully who I was comparing Trout to  when I came up with the comment)

I'm almost as good as Hamilton in high leverage situations in far fewer at bats. 

Better than 1 out and nobody on. We all know what Pujols/Hamilton are going to do behind him anyways.

You mean the guy who hit the game winning double last night? That Pujols?  The Pujols who is on pace for 27 HRs and 100 RBIs?

Yes, he isn't vintage Pujols nor dominate Pujols, but he isn't playing like a dog either!

You mean the guy who hit the game winning double last night? That Pujols? The Pujols who is on pace for 27 HRs and 100 RBIs?

Yes, he isn't vintage Pujols nor dominate Pujols, but he isn't playing like a dog either!

Exactly. His overall average and OPS aren't spectacular, but his avg and OPS with RISP is great. He is getting the hits when it matters for the most part. He is pretty worthless if nobody is on bar, but who wants Pujols on base anyways when it takes like 4 hits to score him.

In a way, I would like to give Kendrick a shot at the 2 spot if Trout was third.  It would mean hopefully that Kendrick sees more fastballs, that he handles very well.  And I think he would handle the contact play well with Pete on base.  

I thought about Kendrick batting 2nd in my lineup scenario, but then 1-5 would be all righties.  The main reason I put Aybar there is his .326 BA with runners on base, which is best among all starters.  Callaspo, the other non righty option, is only hitting .250 with runners on base.

Trout should be hitting in the second spot. Statistically, more men on base for the two hole than the three hitter. Also I believe the spot comes up more often than the third hitter during the game. Small statistical advantage but apparently exists. Keith Law wrote an article about this and cited Tom tango et. al and their breakdowns in the book" the Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball. "

Statistically, more men on base for the two hole than the three hitter.

And yet there's a huge drop off in RBI production from the three hitter to the two hitter.  That could only mean less RBI opportunity at #2, or teams aren't batting their best hitter in the 2 hole.

And yet there's a huge drop off in RBI production from the three hitter to the two hitter.  That could only mean less RBI opportunity at #2, or teams aren't batting their best hitter in the 2 hole.

The last part: youre probably right. Many current teams still put "contact hitters" or whatever in the two hole. Again, according to Law, this is somwhat new thinking although the evidence used is based on historical data.

Exactly this.

Lost in the Blue Jays improvement is them moving Bautista to the two-hole.  Their offense although only slighly improved, they have improved.  Definitely helped with them getting back in the race.