• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Matt Moore (1 year, $7.55 million), place Davis Daniel on 60-day IL

totdprods

Bullpen strategy requires a variety of arms for different situations. I think Moore really adds experience and versatility. All in all, the relief core seems solid enough.  "Bullpen by committee" seems to apply, and isn't a bad thing with this mix.But obviously it will sort itself out once the season is underway.

I'm really intrigued about how Rodriguez and Herget do. Coming back from an injury always is an unknown with a pitcher. Rodriguez was effective when healthy. with Herget, was last year a fluke or can he reliably succeed with his off speed, funky delivery? I expected teams to figure him out as the season went along, but as long as he got ahead in the count and kept his control he was able navigate through tough situations. Also with his style and repetoire he can eat up innings with what they used to call a 'rubber arm.' 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I think at least one more acquisition is happening, whether it’s a trade or signing. 

Is that just a hunch?

I’d be pretty surprised if they make another big league move at this point. I hope I’m wrong though.

On 2/16/2023 at 5:34 PM, Trendon said:

Yeah, Fulmer would’ve been the guy.

I was bummed that they weren’t all over him at such a low price.

What’s weird about the Garza signing is they clearly saw something in him to give him an MLB deal, yet I haven’t seen a single comment from Perry about what they saw in him to give him that MLB deal.

@Jeff Fletcher any insight on Garza from Perry, Nevin, or the Angels front office?

Not yet 

On 2/16/2023 at 4:34 PM, Trendon said:

What’s weird about the Garza signing is they clearly saw something in him to give him an MLB deal

Garza has options.  It's a major league deal but they can send him down which kinda makes it not.  So it was basically enough to give him a 40 man spot.  The other thing about him is that he came up a starter.  They might move him back into that roll as AAA starting depth.  That last one is probably a stretch.  What they might actually see is that he throws pretty hard and hasn't had much relief experience to date.  

10 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Garza has options.  It's a major league deal but they can send him down which kinda makes it not.  So it was basically enough to give him a 40 man spot.  The other thing about him is that he came up a starter.  They might move him back into that roll as AAA starting depth.  That last one is probably a stretch.  What they might actually see is that he throws pretty hard and hasn't had much relief experience to date.  

They must’ve really liked what they saw to give him a 40-man spot in an offseason where they acquired 7 other MLB players who needed a 40-man spot.

They lost Ortega on waivers, so they must deem him to be better than Ortega.

9 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I don’t feel they’ll sign another bullpen guy soon. If I were the FO I’d want to see how Rodriguez looks before signing someone. Interesting that they are already talking about a swing guy for #6 when Canning and CRod are seemingly good options. 

There are not really any good bullpen guys left, and the best ones are left handed, so I agree that they’re likely done adding to the pen.

Edited by Trendon

30 minutes ago, Trendon said:

They must’ve really liked what they saw to give him a 40-man spot in an offseason where they acquired 7 other MLB players who needed a 40-man spot.

They lost Ortega on waivers, so they must deem him to be better than Ortega.

I kinda feel like the last few spots on the 40 are sort of place holders.  Especially going into spring where there's gonna be a fair amount of movement in that part of the roster.  They probably have a slew of metrics they look at and then determine which guys might benefit from their process to improve.  I really don't think it's overly specific to Garza but more that they feel like there's more opportunity with a bunch of others over what they tried to get out of Ortega.  

Davidson, Kalish, Valdez, Diaz, Rosenberg, Garza, Devenski, Webb, Warren, Reyes, Holder, Vieaux, Walters, Romero, Ledo are all pretty much in the same bucket.   If what they think they can do with any of those guys ends up working then they won't hesitate to give them a roster spot over Garza if that's what's necessary to keep them.  

26 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Plus 3 lefties are plenty in the pen.

Hoping that having half of your pitching roster being lefties isn’t a deterrent in the long run 

Having multiple lefties in the rotation doesn’t concern me, since they’re all good pitchers.

As far as the pen is concerned, Moore was actually better vs. RHB than LHB last season. They probably do need to limit Loup and maybe Quijada to LHB’s. Quijada had worse numbers against RHB’s last season, but has better career numbers against RHB’s.

13 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I kinda feel like the last few spots on the 40 are sort of place holders.  Especially going into spring where there's gonna be a fair amount of movement in that part of the roster.  They probably have a slew of metrics they look at and then determine which guys might benefit from their process to improve.  I really don't think it's overly specific to Garza but more that they feel like there's more opportunity with a bunch of others over what they tried to get out of Ortega.  

Yeah, but something had to stand out with Garza to give him a MLB deal while everyone else got a MiLB deal.

I’d just be interesting in knowing what exactly they saw. Based on my research, he has outlier sinker movement— but I don’t know if that’s a big reason why they signed him and if/how they plan to utilize that.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, but something had to stand out with Garza to give him a MLB deal while everyone else got a MiLB deal.

I’d just be interesting in knowing what exactly they saw. Based on my research, he has outlier sinker movement— but I don’t know if that’s a big reason why they signed him and if/how they plan to utilize that.

Up to now, control has been his main issue in the minors.   Has had years where he was really stingy with hits allowed.

On 2/16/2023 at 4:34 PM, Trendon said:

What’s weird about the Garza signing is they clearly saw something in him to give him an MLB deal, yet I haven’t seen a single comment from Perry about what they saw in him to give him that MLB deal.

December 12, 2022
Garza signed a one-year, non-guaranteed split contract with the Angels on Monday.
ANALYSIS
Garza spent all of last season in Triple-A Columbus, posting a 4.64 ERA and 1.23 WHIP through 42.2 frames. If he's able to make the Angels' big-league club to start 2023, he will most likely serve as a low-leverage option out of the bullpen. 

It's non-guaranteed. He's just being invited to ST.

5 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

December 12, 2022
Garza signed a one-year, non-guaranteed split contract with the Angels on Monday.
ANALYSIS
Garza spent all of last season in Triple-A Columbus, posting a 4.64 ERA and 1.23 WHIP through 42.2 frames. If he's able to make the Angels' big-league club to start 2023, he will most likely serve as a low-leverage option out of the bullpen. 

It's non-guaranteed. He's just being invited to ST.

Yeah, but it was an MLB deal— they had to add to the 40-man.

Non-guaranteed split deal just means he’ll get a different salary if he’s in the minors.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, but it was an MLB deal— they had to add to the 40-man.

Non-guaranteed split deal just means he’ll get a different salary if he’s in the minors.

Yes, And then I think he would not be on the 40 man roster because he has three option years left. Right?

It is essentially a MiLB contract. Fine signing for Perry, little to no downside.

2 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

Yes, And then I think he would not be on the 40 man roster because he has three option years left. Right?

It is essentially a MiLB contract. Fine signing for Perry, little to no downside.

He is on the 40-man.

He signed an MLB deal, which requires him to be put on the 40-man. But he has options, so he could be optioned just like anyone on the 40-man who has options.