• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

Think it would be a big mistake to trade Quero. If they do trade him, they damn well better get a haul for him.

I agree, Greg. 

It has to be IMO for a cost controlled starting pitcher and a bullpen arm. 

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Looks like Jackson is being developed into a super utility guy?

Since April 2022, at least 30 games at each of 2B, SS, 3B, plus 18 games in LF and 9 games in CF

Figgins with a little less speed (15 SBs so far in 2023) and more pop?

Still only 23

Jurickson Profar without all that pesky #1 prospect baggage

28 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree, Greg. 

It has to be IMO for a cost controlled starting pitcher and a bullpen arm. 

I still wouldn't do it for that much. Catchers who can hit (.282 career) and have an eye that good at the plate (.416 OBP) are far more rare than cost controlled pitchers. Quero has a .986 fielding pct too, so he's clearly no mug with the glove either. Surely he's a keeper.

I love Quero, but absolutely open to shopping him for a critical addition this deadline. 

having two young catchers sounds like a dream but it very rarely works in practice. O’Hoppe should have 75% of the playing time in years to come and Quero’s potential trade value could be worth more than the 25-50% of time he’d get. Especially with Thaiss and even Wallach playing so well.

Rarely do teams have two good young catchers stick and split time - look at Toronto and what they had with McGuire, Jansen, Kirk, the Dodgers and all their catchers over the years, the Giants with Bart and Bailey…as good as Quero has been there’s little guarantee he would be an above-average catcher in the bigs at this time, and as a young catcher, his potential alone will be worth a ton on the trade market. It’s tough to swallow but with O’Hoppe and Thaiss playing so well this year, he’s definitely the most expendable high-value prospect we have IMO. I would much rather roll the dice dealing him than eating away any further at our pitching depth (guys like Bush, Silseth, Bachman) or Paris, even Adell or Moniak. They all figure to be big parts of the 2024 club whereas Quero still wouldn’t.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I love Quero, but absolutely open to shopping him for a critical addition this deadline. 

having two young catchers sounds like a dream but it very rarely works in practice. O’Hoppe should have 75% of the playing time in years to come and Quero’s potential trade value could be worth more than the 25-50% of time he’d get. Especially with Thaiss and even Wallach playing so well.

Rarely do teams have two good young catchers stick and split time - look at Toronto and what they had with McGuire, Jansen, Kirk, the Dodgers and all their catchers over the years, the Giants with Bart and Bailey…as good as Quero has been there’s little guarantee he would be an above-average catcher in the bigs at this time, and as a young catcher, his potential alone will be worth a ton on the trade market. It’s tough to swallow but with O’Hoppe and Thaiss playing so well this year, he’s definitely the most expendable high-value prospect we have IMO. I would much rather roll the dice dealing him than eating away any further at our pitching depth (guys like Bush, Silseth, Bachman) or Paris, even Adell or Moniak. They all figure to be big parts of the 2024 club whereas Quero still wouldn’t.

Yes, but catchers get hurt a LOT and have such an impact on the game with pitchers, controlling the running game, etc. It is absolutely worth it to keep Quero unless we are blown away by an offer, and not for rentals. 

I'm always open to listening to offers on anyone, but I'm not so interested in trading away a good piece for the future for a one year shot. 

6 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Trade Thaiss.  He's shown himself to be an everyday catcher or at least a primary in a platoon and has 4 more years of club control.  Take on a rental catcher in return who can fill in until O'Hoppe gets back.  

He might be our most valuable trade chip.

I bet you are right - Thaiss probably has much more trade value than we realize. But he also seems critically important to this team’s success (which I don’t think anyone would have said just two months ago). Funny how baseball works. 

7 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Trade Thaiss.  He's shown himself to be an everyday catcher or at least a primary in a platoon and has 4 more years of club control.  Take on a rental catcher in return who can fill in until O'Hoppe gets back.  

I wouldn't trade him in the middle of a playoff run, but maybe in the off-season. Sure. I'm not opposed to trading Quero either, though from what I hear, they're keen on keeping him.

Would trading Quero and one or two other prospects really enhance our post season chances? Even if we make the playoffs we are not a threat to get to the World Series. I’m pessimistic that Shohei will re-sign. Given that, I would hold onto all our prospects and, if we want to trade them, do it in the Fall when, essentially, return would be greater. We could also use Shohei’s $30M to sign a pitcher. Adell and Moniak rotating at DH is not Shohei, but it could be serviceable.

13 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

6 hours ago, wopphil said:

I bet you are right - Thaiss probably has much more trade value than we realize. But he also seems critically important to this team’s success (which I don’t think anyone would have said just two months ago). Funny how baseball works. 

my only question would be: do you hang onto Thaiss and use him at 1B? Unless Walsh can fully recover, which might be difficult given his injury, I don't think he's the answer at 1B anymore going forward.

4 hours ago, Trendon said:

my only question would be: do you hang onto Thaiss and use him at 1B? Unless Walsh can fully recover, which might be difficult given his injury, I don't think he's the answer at 1B anymore going forward.

Because 1B/DH is an easier position to fill his free agency for cheap, I'm not sure Thaiss holds much value at any position other than catcher. 

I’ll take Thaiss over Quero…Thaiss has proven himself in the bigs way more than Quero at this point, and, worst-case scenario, seems like he could eventually offer insurance at 1B, maybe even 3B, again. 

But I like what he’s doing behind the plate. There are growing pains but he’s starting to really look comfortable back there. The more he’s playing the better he looks. He still is awfully young in his professional catching career all things considered. I think once O’Hoppe is back, or in 2024, there’s a real good chance the Angels snag a 3rd catcher (or keep Wallach) and use Thaiss more at 1B, not because he can’t catch, but because O’Hoppe handles a majority. 

And I’m in no way low on Quero…fat from it. It’s just that you very rarely see a team actually have two good, young productive catchers *and* find a way to split the playing time equitably between them. More often than not one plays, one struggles with increasingly dwindling playing time, and the lesser is eventually let go. I’d rather they cash in on Quero’s trade value when it peaks then risk that likely scenario happening - and Thaiss’ emergence really makes that an easy call for me.

Edited by totdprods

34 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’ll take Thaiss over Quero…Thaiss has proven himself in the bigs way more than Quero at this point, and, worst-case scenario, seems like he could eventually offer insurance at 1B, maybe even 3B, again. 

But I like what he’s doing behind the plate. There are growing pains but he’s starting to really look comfortable back there. The more he’s playing the better he looks. He still is awfully young in his professional catching career all things considered. I think once O’Hoppe is back, or in 2024, there’s a real good chance the Angels snag a 3rd catcher (or keep Wallach) and use Thaiss more at 1B, not because he can’t catch, but because O’Hoppe handles a majority. 

And I’m in no way low on Quero…fat from it. It’s just that you very rarely see a team actually have two good, young productive catchers *and* find a way to split the playing time equitably between them. More often than not one plays, one struggles with increasingly dwindling playing time, and the lesser is eventually let go. I’d rather they cash in on Quero’s trade value when it peaks then risk that likely scenario happening - and Thaiss’ emergence really makes that an easy call for me.

It's hard to make an assessment of that because we really don't know how Thaiss would handle a reserve role, not knowing if he's playing or not, nor the position he'll be playing. There's a lot of mental prep that goes into catching that he does. Thaiss may not handle that role well at all, he may be performing as well as he has simply because of the consistent at bats, and even then, it's maddening to see Wallach getting more starts than him.

Minasian may choose to keep all three of O'Hoppe, Thaiss and Quero. O'Hoppe well probably need his workload managed throughout this year and next. Thaiss obviously hasn't ever shouldered a load like this before at the major league level. And Quero gives them the luxury of suffering an injury at catcher and still having a dangerous weapon on the depth chart.

14 hours ago, bruin5 said:

Would trading Quero and one or two other prospects really enhance our post season chances? Even if we make the playoffs we are not a threat to get to the World Series. I’m pessimistic that Shohei will re-sign. Given that, I would hold onto all our prospects and, if we want to trade them, do it in the Fall when, essentially, return would be greater. We could also use Shohei’s $30M to sign a pitcher. Adell and Moniak rotating at DH is not Shohei, but it could be serviceable.

I think MLB of all the major sports has proven many times that you just have to make the playoffs to have a chance at the World Series. Look at the Braves two seasons ago, nobody picked them to win at the start of the playoffs, especially without Acuna. If the Angels get one more legit SP and a good RP, they not only have a chance, they might win the division and get a bye.

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

It's hard to make an assessment of that because we really don't know how Thaiss would handle a reserve role, not knowing if he's playing or not, nor the position he'll be playing. There's a lot of mental prep that goes into catching that he does. Thaiss may not handle that role well at all, he may be performing as well as he has simply because of the consistent at bats, and even then, it's maddening to see Wallach getting more starts than him.

Minasian may choose to keep all three of O'Hoppe, Thaiss and Quero. O'Hoppe well probably need his workload managed throughout this year and next. Thaiss obviously hasn't ever shouldered a load like this before at the major league level. And Quero gives them the luxury of suffering an injury at catcher and still having a dangerous weapon on the depth chart.

Right, I’m just saying Quero is probably our best high-value trade bullet if we need to make a big impact move. To me, he’s more expendable in a deal than guys like Silseth or Bush or Paris because of O’Hoppe and Thaiss both being young and productive already. I’d much rather they don’t eat into the upper-pitching depth much more (all it takes is a TJ or two at AAA/MLB and things get ugly fast) and I’d prefer holding onto Paris given the carousel of infielders we’ve used this year. We can sustain losing Quero and whatever he’d bring 2024-2026 much easier than losing those guys.

Also feasible that Max Stassi is still in the picture.

Edited by totdprods

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

Thaiss could partially solve the 1B issue in 2024, getting most of the starts vs RHP.

Quero’s hitting has fallen off, although totally understandable given being just age 20 in AA.

Wait a year and hopefully sell higher.   If he is really hitting well and O’Hoppe has settled in well, then consider Quero as a tradable guy in a key trade.

Edited by Angel Oracle

20 hours ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

I think MLB of all the major sports has proven many times that you just have to make the playoffs to have a chance at the World Series. Look at the Braves two seasons ago, nobody picked them to win at the start of the playoffs, especially without Acuna. If the Angels get one more legit SP and a good RP, they not only have a chance, they might win the division and get a bye.

Or, you could be San Diego who traded a lot of draft capital over the past couple of years and is now 5 games under .500.  Doesn’t mean they may not go on a hot streak, but they went from one of the top systems to number 23 (and if they trade the couple of players that made them 23 they will fall farther).  I don’t see Quero and whoever else drawing enough for a legit SP and a good RP (who are always a risk). 

It’s all a crapshoot. But you have to balance long term with short term. I’m glad I don’t make that decision. 

Edited by bruin5

2 hours ago, bruin5 said:

Or, you could be San Diego who traded a lot of draft capital over the past couple of years and is now 5 games under .500.  Doesn’t mean they may not go on a hot streak, but they went from one of the top systems to number 23 (and if they trade the couple of players that made them 23 they will fall farther).  I don’t see Quero and whoever else drawing enough for a legit SP and a good RP (who are always a risk). 

It’s all a crapshoot. But you have to balance long term with short term. I’m glad I don’t make that decision. 

That is why you don't dump the farm because you MIGHT have a chance. If you don't make it to the playoffs, then you are back at square one. No future. Stuck with a bunch of really big contracts with guys who are starting the downside of their careers, and haven't been that productive. There has to be a balance of "playing for today" and the "future'. A franchise can't live off short term goals and blowing off long term goals.

3 hours ago, mmc said:

Missoula, MT. – Pioneer Baseball League ERA leader and second-year PaddleHead RHP Mark Timmins is off to Arizona after signing with the Los Angeles Angels Wednesday morning. Timmins posts a 1.47 ERA, allowing just three runs on 16 hits through 18.1 innings pitched in 2023. His 20 strikeouts against two walks make him a foreboding presence in both short and long relief out of the PaddleHeads bullpen. Following Kamron Willman's signing with the Minnesota Twins on Monday, Timmins becomes the 15th PaddleHead to sign an MLB contract in the team's three seasons as an independent club.  

Timmins joined the PaddleHeads for the 2022 season after graduating from the University of Nebraska-Omaha where he earned All Summit Second Team honors in his fifth year. Timmins started in 17 games for the PaddleHeads in 2022, striking out 67 batters through 84.1 innings pitched.  

A starting pitcher for the entirety of his career prior to the 2023 season, Timmins is thriving in his new role out of the bullpen. He is on pace to set career bests in multiple statistical categories including ERA, strikeouts, and WHIP. Timmins has appeared in both short and long-relief situations for the PaddleHeads, proving to be a reliable and dynamic arm with a deadly slider.  

https://www.gopaddleheads.com/sports/bsb/2023/releases/20230622jltu0z