• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't see anyone in the 18 picks so far who should go for much over slot, if at all (Barrett Kent has the largest gap between pre-draft ranking and where he was taken, but from what I've been able to find about him, he doesn't really seem like a guy you'd break the bank on).  So either they're planning on drafting someone in the 20th round who'll require an overpay, or they're just being very conservative with their money this year.

Ok, so after the McCroskey pick in the 20th round, I'm officially confused.  Guess we'll see how it plays out over the next couple weeks with the bonuses these guys get.  I just don't see anyone who looks to be significantly over slot.  They could still sign undrafted guys, too.  Max bonus for them without penalty is $125K.  Anything over that counts against the bonus pool.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Z said:

of all the years to be conservative with their draft spending than the year of the deepest draft #AngelWa

Draft spending is capped by MLB rules, team's can't exceed their cap bonuses without getting penalized.  Maybe more importantly the talent was massively swayed in favor of college players, meaning the only players with any real leverage and thus the need to entice them to take the money NOW would be college sophomores as no Jr would risk going back and getting a take it or leave it offer.

I get the point you're trying to make, but this is the rare draft where the usual norms don't really apply.  If anything is limiting the Angels ability to make a play for a HS guys it was the loss of their second round pick and the $$ assigned to that slot.

40 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Ok, so after the McCroskey pick in the 20th round, I'm officially confused.  Guess we'll see how it plays out over the next couple weeks with the bonuses these guys get.  I just don't see anyone who looks to be significantly over slot.  They could still sign undrafted guys, too.  Max bonus for them without penalty is $125K.  Anything over that counts against the bonus pool.

Outside of the two HS guys, Rio Foster is pretty much the only guy with any real leverage as a JUCO guy.  That Raudi Rodriguez kid may be an easy sign.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Outside of the two HS guys, Rio Foster is pretty much the only guy with any real leverage as a JUCO guy.  That Raudi Rodriguez kid may be an easy sign.

Yeah, I know virtually nothing about Rodriguez, but as a 20-year-old HS grad, I'm guessing it won't take much to get him to sign.  He's committed to South Carolina, but I don't see that as a huge obstacle.

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

so now we'll have guys named kechup and cabbage in our system.

hoping there's still a potato or a carrot out there somewhere.

Maybe they can sign Gunnar Kale:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=kale--000gun

or Ian Mustard:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=mustar000ian

Unfortunately, the Orioles drafted Zach Fruit this year:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=fruit-000zac

the draft will always be a coin-flip. Take for example John Leiter, he was consider  one of the best pitching prospects in the game and so far it hasn't worked out. Same could be said about Rucker and HIll. Mike trout was a late pick. Overall by mid -point next season we'll get a solid idea of the draft and right now it's too early to make judgement.