• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pick Two Additions for 2023

Dtwncbad

Obviously it is impossible to know what exact impact the ownership change will have on the offseason moves.

But for entertainment purposes only, let’s assume the team highly values these Trout/Ohtani years and decides winning in 2023 is very important.

What two additions would you be rooting for most?  Why two?  I don’t know why not two?  Your answer also comes from your opinion of how aggressive you think they will able to be considering the ownership change.

Edited by Dtwncbad

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

LF - Benetendi on short deal to shore up the team’s OBP issues and play solid LF defense 

Closer - Jansen on short deal to lead the way in the pen until the AA hard throwing relievers get up here and get a little experience.

There's not really an incentive for Benintendi to sign a short-term deal.  He's 28 and coming off a solid year, heading into his first go at free agency.  My guess is that he's looking for 4+ years, minimum.

Jansen: whoo-boy, I don't think I'd want to touch him, even on a short-term deal.  He's been playing with fire all year and the Braves fans are up in arms about him still being the closer.  He had the highest % of hard-hit balls in a season in his career and his fastball isn't what it used to be (his fastball runs above average was negative this year...).

2 guys who I think could be reasonably acquired

Jose Abreu or Josh Bell, I don't think Walsh can be handed 1B

Rodon or Bassitt, our SP was good this year so maybe I'm just conditioned to wanting SP  

I also would like to see them sign Bauer on the cheap

Edited by Erstad Grit

36 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

2 guys who I think could be reasonably acquired

Jose Abreu or Josh Bell, I don't think Marsh can be handed 1B

Rodon or Bassitt, our SP was good this year so maybe I'm just conditioned to wanting SP  

I also would like to see them sign Bauer on the cheap

This is why I chose Mancini.  If Walsh can't come back, Mancini to 1B, and Adell/Moniak to LF.  Note that I didn't choose any pitchers.  

For once, in the last 25 seasons or so, we have good, homegrown pitching depth. 

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Obviously it is impossible to know what exact impact the ownership change will have on the offseason moves.

But for entertainment purposes only, let’s assume the team highly values these Trout/Ohtani years and decides winning in 2023 is very important.

What two additions would you be rooting for most?  Why two?  I don’t know why not two?  Your answer also comes from your opinion of how aggressive you think they will able to be considering the ownership change.

You're kind of asking for two contradictory things: which two players would we pick for fun to make the team most competitive in the near-term, and also based upon how aggressive we think they will be.

I don't think they will be all that aggressive, not unless Arte changes his mind about selling (very unlikely) or a deal is already in place and happens very early in the offseason (also very unlikely). So it seems unlikely that the Angels will hand out any big, long-term deals. Arte might try to make Ohtani an offer so as to shiny-up the Angels to sell, but I doubt Shohei takes it.

Anyhow, if I could have any free agent, regardless of price or long-term impact, it would be Judge and probably Turner or Correa. Those two would instantly turn the Angels into a legit contender, and the lineup into a monster. An alternate to Turner/Correa would be Bogaerts or Swanson, or a top SP like Rodon or deGrom, or maybe even Edwin Diaz. Any two of those players--the top free agents, pretty much--greatly improves the team, but also adds $60-70M AAV.

A more realistic, and modest, approach would be Michael Conforto on a "prove-it" one year deal, and maybe someone like Taijuan Walker or Jameson Taillon to solidify the rotation. Then a handle of solid bench guys.

But the problem, imo, is this: The Angels have some glaring holes with semi-decent options for all, which means they either need to go big or go broad. What I mean is that to really improve LF, MI, SP or RP, they need a star--or at least a good regular. Those guys are rare and expensive. Otherwise, they need to pick up quality depth: guys who can perform at or close to league average, and don't cost a huge amount. That isn't just two players, but four or five - maybe more.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

LF - Benetendi on short deal to shore up the team’s OBP issues and play solid LF defense 

Closer - Jansen on short deal to lead the way in the pen until the AA hard throwing relievers get up here and get a little experience.

I would love to get Benetendi, but I think he's going to be in high demand. Every team is looking for a guy who can get on base, and doesn't strike out a lot. Throw in the fact that he's a Gold Glove winner, and will only be 28 on Opening Day next year, he's going to get a lot more years, and dollars, than people are expecting.

7 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

What two additions would you be rooting for most?

If I can just pick any two additions with no budget, Correa and Nimmo.

If I need to pick any two additions that are within a reasonable budget, Bell and Pederson.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

If I can just pick any two additions with no budget, Correa and Nimmo.

If I need to pick any two additions that are within a reasonable budget, Bell and Pederson.

The latter is what I would do, recognizing the financial constraints this team will be in this offseason.

No chance that we see large deals with a pending sale.

First basemen, unless they are Freddie Freeman, generally do not get big deals.  So in terms of what I would think would make the greatest impact is acquiring a LF and 1B, both of which can be done rather cheaply.

Pederson is a consistent offensive performer, and he can platoon in LF with Adell.  If Adell does not improve this offseason, honestly, I would just send him back to AAA and try to find someone who can serve as the weakside of a platoon in LF.

Bell, or someone like Bell, would be great at 1B.

Imagine a lineup of:  2B Rengifo, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, RF Ward, 1B Bell, 3B Rendon, LF Pederson, C Stassi, SS Fletcher (or Soto?!).

Even with the inevitable injuries (Rendon?), that's a really solid lineup.  In addition to those 2, I'd look for a solid bench player who can backup 3B/1B.  Again - I don't think this team needs too much financially to make this a playoff contending team. 

Even right now, we are seeing that this team can be pretty decent with good health - Trout is playing consistently and Ward has returned to hitting well.  We are top heavy, so the health of our stars will always be most important, but beyond that, it's not hard to envision reasonable, cost-effective moves that can be done to help this team improve significantly.

10 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Even right now, we are seeing that this team can be pretty decent with good health - Trout is playing consistently and Ward has returned to hitting well.  We are top heavy, so the health of our stars will always be most important, but beyond that, it's not hard to envision reasonable, cost-effective moves that can be done to help this team improve significantly.

Yeah, it shouldn’t be that difficult to fix the offense.

SP looks solid.

Maybe this is an overreaction to the past twi games, but I’m starting to really worry about the bullpen. The Baseball Ops department really needs to work some magic there, whether it’s via reclamation projects or internal improvement.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, it shouldn’t be that difficult to fix the offense.

SP looks solid.

Maybe this is an overreaction to the past twi games, but I’m starting to really worry about the bullpen. The Baseball Ops department really needs to work some magic there, whether it’s via reclamation projects or internal improvement.

Bullpens, in general, are highly volatile.  Even the best teams seem to be inconsistent.  I would avoid throwing money at the problem, though, at least for now.  Whatever financial wiggle room we have should be focused on the offense