• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where are you on the "Hope Dial?"

Where are you on the "Hope Dial?"  

57 members have voted

1. 1. The Hope Dial

• Game Over, man - No hope, at least not for years to come and/or when Arte sells the team
    • There's a Chance! -- A sliver of hope; maybe Minasian makes some good moves and we see an upward trajectory, but I'm not optimistic
    • I'm hopeful! - Minasian will make some good moves and the Angels should start heading in the right direction
    • I'm optimistic! The Angels have too much talent, and I trust in Minasian to make the right moves to get the team back to contention next year

I just don't see how they can compete next year. They need 2 more legit outfielders. Ward hasn't proven he's the real deal. After his hot start and subsequent injury he has not been great at the plate. They need at least one legit infielder too. Preferably a SS. Fletcher should be a utility man. Rengifo looks like he may be able to man 2B. They have Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers, Suarez, and several guys as depth. They need 2 legit starters. They need a #1/2 and a proven #3/4 guy. Additionally, they need a closer. 

So they need to sign at least 6 guys: 2 OFers, SS, 2 starters, a closer. That's probably $100M per year worth of contracts. Highly doubt they do it.

Personally, I hope they do NOT sign anyone outside of low price lottery tickets type players that can be traded at the deadline if performing well. I hope they trade Ohtani. Pains me to say, but I think it's necessary. And I honestly think having a 6 man rotation is a hindrance to the team. I think if they do those things and stick to it, they can compete starting in 2024. 

23 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

lol

how anyone could possibly be depending on this happening is beyond me

I didn’t say I was “depending” on this happening, I said that was it was “maybe” the “only real hope I have”

I'm dialed up right now.  They have four starters pitching well.  I believe in three of em.  Warming up to Suarez.  Get Trout and Rendon back. Get a solid offensive guy for c, lf, or mi.... get Ward healthy. Get lucky with a flyer.   Develop one of the several promising Trash Pandas.   

Bullpen, I know.  Maybe those college draftees from last year help with that.  Maybe they have reasonable luck with a free agent for once.

I’m on the optimistic side. Minasian, in two drafts, has added a great deal of needed depth and talent to the farm system. The Trash Pandas roster is better than anything DiPoto or Eppler ever put together. Minasian seems to have a much better feel for the longer term needs of the organization and has addressed the need to develop depth in pitching and catchers. The glaring hole right now is outfield talent and depth which is something that Eppler seemed to be focused on and which has not panned out as of yet. Of course, we’re talking about prospects but at least we’re seeing an upward trend in our ML talent. We have a potential SS in Neto, and Rengifo (and Eppler acquisition) has showed signs that he belongs. 1B, corner outfielders, and a league average SS on a short contract should be a big focus in the offseason.  He also needs to cull the deadwood on the 40 man. 

I’m in the trade Shohei camp as the return in viable prospects should be good. Given Trout’s and Rendon’s health issues building and spending on a roster to compete for the playoffs next year seems to be a fools errand right now.