• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Imagine you're Shohei Ohtani: In what scenario would you sign long-term with the Angels?

Not sure if anyone can go back in time to the old threads about Troyt, but I kept saying over and over again he was staying. Or at least, not going to NY or Philadelphia.

I knew first hand he wanted to stay here.

I'm far out of the loop these days. But I don't get the vibe that's Ohtani, at all. And I'm not hating on him.

I think Arte will offer him all the money in the world. But I don't think that's going to get it done.

I hope I'm wrong. 

Here's another question. Imagine you are Shohei Ohtani's agent / manager / adviser: under what circumstances would you advise him to sign with the Angels?

I'd maybe advise a 1 year $50m for 2024 if the Angels make the play-offs in 2023. But honestly, and it breaks the heart of the Angels fan inside me to say this, I wouldn't advise him to stay long term as there are so many other more attractive options out there.

Let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things we've become a pretty crappy franchise over the past decade. On the field and off it. We spend poorly; we hire rookie GM's; we don't trade well; our player development is patchy at best; our medical/physio team is just a disaster; and we have been mired in scandal after scandal after scandal, from dodgy land deals to drugs, deaths, and lawsuits. It's not a good look.

Of course, I'm in it for the long term, through thick and thin and all that, and every year I hope it gets better and we finally turn that corner and start playing some good Angels baseball again. But I wouldn't bet several hundred million dollars on it, which is what Shohei will have to do if he is going to stay. 

Right, now I'm going to watch some game 6 highlights to cheer myself up. 

27 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Here's another question. Imagine you are Shohei Ohtani's agent / manager / adviser: under what circumstances would you advise him to sign with the Angels?

I'd maybe advise a 1 year $50m for 2024 if the Angels make the play-offs in 2023. But honestly, and it breaks the heart of the Angels fan inside me to say this, I wouldn't advise him to stay long term as there are so many other more attractive options out there.

Let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things we've become a pretty crappy franchise over the past decade. On the field and off it. We spend poorly; we hire rookie GM's; we don't trade well; our player development is patchy at best; our medical/physio team is just a disaster; and we have been mired in scandal after scandal after scandal, from dodgy land deals to drugs, deaths, and lawsuits. It's not a good look.

Of course, I'm in it for the long term, through thick and thin and all that, and every year I hope it gets better and we finally turn that corner and start playing some good Angels baseball again. But I wouldn't bet several hundred million dollars on it, which is what Shohei will have to do if he is going to stay. 

Right, now I'm going to watch some game 6 highlights to cheer myself up. 

Shohei is making that money, not betting it.

2 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

But we’re not Oakland!

I can't imagine myself as young Mr. Ohtani. Nevertheless, I think he will need a persuasive demonstration of good faith by the Angels to establish a championship quality roster that includes more than one quality starting pitcher and a batting order that extends at a high skill level from 1 through 9 with depth to cover the attrition of the season.

To be blunt, if Ohtani stays in Southern California when free-agency arrives it will be as a Dodger. His other most-likely landing spots will be in New York City.