• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The overall picture

Of all the disappointing things that happened in the series, the Bullpen not throwing strikes is the most frustrating.  I don't have the stats to back me up, but it seemed like everybody was 1-0, 2-1, 3-1.. you simply will not win by constantly battling uphill in late inning counts.  Tepera has been doing this all season and has somewhat gotten away with it.  Throw F-in strikes, let them hit it.

13 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

We aren’t talking enough about what this man is doing 

E712DBC7-6489-4AA5-A19E-76FA8FD50D31.jpeg

On pace for a 3 WAR season. His hitting is picking up lately so hopefully he can get his average up to .260 or so. Would end up closer to 4 if that's the case.

Not ideal, but not the complete disaster some think it is. His OPS+ is 119. 

20 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

On pace for a 3 WAR season. His hitting is picking up lately so hopefully he can get his average up to .260 or so. Would end up closer to 4 if that's the case.

Yep and I think he’s warming up.  He’s on a positive trajectory imo. 

1 minute ago, failos said:

I’d rather see the bullpen implode early on instead of late into the season. They need a break, tbh.

I don’t think they’ve been over used, relative to how bullpens are used now.  I haven’t looked that up, but that’s the sense I have based on watching the team all the time.  They’ve got some guys they need better results from.  Iglesias needs to get right.  Tepera also, needs some more consistency.  The good news is that these are guys that should be fixable.  But it’s pretty obvious they’ll need to mix and match with some guys  internally and possibly look at outside the organization when the time comes for that.  That’s not really a surprise tho.  We all knew they’d probably need more pitching.  I’m looking forward to seeing Buttrey hopefully make his way up to the club soon. 

35 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I think Maddon needs to give a longer leash to the starters. Like pulling Detmers the other night. 

If they're completely shitting the bed like Syndergaard did, then yeah get them off the mound, but Detmers wasn't pitching terribly and I think he could have easily gone another inning. He pulls the starters too quickly and leaves the relievers in too long. It's frustrating.

💯%

A few days ago they were on a 105-win pace. That is not sustainable - the team is good, but not that good. As I've said a bunch of times, I think my pre-season prediction of 91-71 is about right, plus or minus. But I'm optimistic enough about what I've seen that I think they're more likely to win 90-95 than 85-89.

And here's a fun stat: Trout (2.7), Ward (2.6),and Ohtani (1.9) are 2nd, 3rd, and 10th in fWAR. Each of them has a better WAR than any player on 22 other teams.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I think Maddon needs to give a longer leash to the starters. Like pulling Detmers the other night. 

If they're completely shitting the bed like Syndergaard did, then yeah get them off the mound, but Detmers wasn't pitching terribly and I think he could have easily gone another inning. He pulls the starters too quickly and leaves the relievers in too long. It's frustrating.

It's a mixed bag for sure but I think some are overstating his pull happy tendencies.   I think MLB as a whole has adopted the whole XX number of times through the lineup BS.  With as much info as they have available these days i'd sort of hope teams could find a way to measure the quality of contact for hitters in real time to help a team decide whether the SP is seeing his stuff get torched more as the game goes on .vs automatically going to the pen after seeing the lineup a couple times.

we probably weren't as good as our 24-13 suggested; likewise, we aren't as bad as this three game sweep by the rangers suggests.

they will always need to adjust as the season wears on, like all good teams do. 

i like where they are this year. 

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

if he can just stay healthy, it would be huge to have him play like this for the whole season.

58 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

It's a mixed bag for sure but I think some are overstating his pull happy tendencies.   I think MLB as a whole has adopted the whole XX number of times through the lineup BS.  With as much info as they have available these days i'd sort of hope teams could find a way to measure the quality of contact for hitters in real time to help a team decide whether the SP is seeing his stuff get torched more as the game goes on .vs automatically going to the pen after seeing the lineup a couple times.

I haven't really paid attention to it but I do know there's been an emphasis on "times through the order". 

I mean, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't like it. Relievers are so volatile (as we've seen clearly the past week) and I don't like "matchups". 

I don't know, sometimes it's the right decision, sometimes it's not. But I still think Maddon pulls guys too quickly.

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im kind of glad it happened if im being honest.  Weve had a lot go right, and i think we were starting confuse luck with brains.  A little kick in the nether to remind us we still have some issues to resolve is a good thing.

Agreed. I mean they weren't going to continue on that pace ALL year. They're gonna have stretches like this, but then they'll get hot again.

Baseball is a really tough sport for impatient and shortsighted people to follow. Hey, I'm one of them. 

But I store it in the back of my mind that the season is long and there's gonna be plenty of heartbreak. I still think this is a good team. 

44 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I haven't really paid attention to it but I do know there's been an emphasis on "times through the order". 

I mean, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't like it. Relievers are so volatile (as we've seen clearly the past week) and I don't like "matchups". 

I don't know, sometimes it's the right decision, sometimes it's not. But I still think Maddon pulls guys too quickly.

Like I said in an unrelated thread, I wish Maddon didn't seem to be so formulaic but this may be one of those times where they have data that tells them to do something.  But the overall numbers aren't showing any real propensity to pull guys early as a whole.

I think you nailed it with the damned if you do, damned if you don't.