• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Today: New Documentary in Theatres Soon - "Facing Nolan" - Update: Now on Netflix

ryan_85__43244.1586548905.jpg

Our old friend Rob Goldman who brought us Once they were Angels, Always an Angel (Tim Salmon biography) and Nolan Ryan - The making of a pitcher and so many historical articles years ago, is back with a video production - Facing Nolan Ryan. Available in theatres on May 24th and at some point on streaming platforms as well. 

You can check your local theatres to see where it will be playing here: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Facing-Nolan-

Check out the trailer. It looks awesome!! 

View the full article

45 minutes ago, Lou said:

Wins and losses were big back then. 

Reminds me, remember Rick Heiling’s 20 game season with the Rangers? If I’m not mistaken Aaron Sele won 20 as well, but both of their peripherals were awful.

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Reminds me, remember Rick Heiling’s 20 game season with the Rangers? If I’m not mistaken Aaron Sele won 20 as well, but both of their peripherals were awful.

Sele won 19 that year (1998) but gave up a shitload of hits and walked a pretty fair amount of guys, too.  Rangers scored a ton of runs that year (almost 1000), so Helling and Sele definitely got bailed out a few times by the bats.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Weird how he never won the Cy Young.

You may be surprised to learn that Ryan never claimed a Cy Young Award. The closest Ryan got was 1973, the year he went 21-16 with a 2.87 ERA and 383 strikeouts -- a single-season record in the modern era. In a close race, Ryan came in second behind Jim Palmer (22-9, 2.40 ERA, 158 K's), whose Orioles went 97-65 while Ryan's Angels went 79-83. Ryan finished his career with 5,714 strikeouts, which ranks first all time.

The theater kind of botched it with someone not knowing how to frame the screen properly. So part of the footage was cutoff. I would have complained but they were already over a half hour late getting the picture on the screen. 

Liked the show. I'm an editor so I had plenty of nitpick notes (technical not creative) but the storyline was solid and plenty of supporting interviews. The historical footage was interesting to see the changes in his delivery from a young, wild Met, to a refined strikeout king with the Angels.

Kind of wished they used Reggie Jackson's quote, “I love to bat against Nolan Ryan and I hate to bat against Nolan Ryan. It’s like ice cream. You may love it (facing a fastball), but you don’t want it shoveled down your throat by the gallon.“

It could have been an hour longer and I still could have sat through more. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

The theater kind of botched it with someone not knowing how to frame the screen properly. So part of the footage was cutoff. I would have complained but they were already over a half hour late getting the picture on the screen. 

Liked the show. I'm an editor so I had plenty of nitpick notes (technical not creative) but the storyline was solid and plenty of supporting interviews. The historical footage was interesting to see the changes in his delivery from a young, wild Met, to a refined strikeout king with the Angels.

Kind of wished they used Reggie Jackson's quote, “I love to bat against Nolan Ryan and I hate to bat against Nolan Ryan. It’s like ice cream. You may love it (facing a fastball), but you don’t want it shoveled down your throat by the gallon.“

It could have been an hour longer and I still could have sat through more. 

Great review. Thank you @Blarg!!