• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stolen Bases over the years

15 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I tend to agree. I think it stems from the love of the homerun. Fans love homeruns and players who hit more homeruns are more valuable. Fans loving homeruns brought the fences in, and teams in turn have optimized around that.

More homeruns, walks and strike outs make for less opportunities for defenses, which skews the balance in favor of hitting skills over defensive skills when filling out the lineup card. At the same time larger rosters and deeper bullpens gave pitchers more rest and have allowed them to throw harder, increasing strikeouts.

The solution? I’m not sure if there is one, but there are things they need to try. They need to move the fences back for starters, particularly in power allies. Reduce the number of pitchers allowed on the roster at once. Increase the amount of time players need to spend in the minors before being called up. Possibly increase the minimum IL time. The DH hasn’t helped here either as it creates another bat-only everyday position in the lineup and eliminates much of the need for defensive flexibility on the bench. They should make changes to the rule.

If that doesn’t work they should consider reducing the distance between bases, lowering or moving back the mound.

I think the new balls are part of a solution.  A lot of guys that dont deserve to hit homeruns like they have will have to learn to hit again, and im here for that. 
When a journeyman SS cant hit 20 anymore they will have to evolve.   When walks arent producing as many runs due to fewer home runs, they will have to adjust.  
A lot of folks complaining about home runs being down, i for one couldnt be happier.