• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Today: Los Angeles Angels Prospect Prospect Hotlist (8/23 - 9/5)

AngelsWin.com

gettyimages-1233477775-1024x1024.jpeg

By Tres Hefter, AngelsWin.com Columnist

A slew of late-season promotions continue to shuffle the Angels' minor league deck, but strong performances remain!

--Pitchers--

1) Davis Daniel – RHP, Rocket City AA:

You can sort of Davis Daniel is becoming the Angels’ pitching equivalent of Michael Stefanic; both came into 2021 without much hype, both have performed not only extremely well, but extremely well consistently throughout the season, and both arguably are MLB-ready, even with Daniel yet to appear in AAA. Daniel’s strike-throwing tendencies were on full display over the last week, as the 24-year-old made two starts for Rocket City, striking out 18 in 11 innings while allowing just one walk, three earned runs (2.45 ERA), and seven hits (.175 BAA). Daniel has allowed two or fewer earned runs in 14 of his 18 appearances this year and with 9 starts in each A+ and AA, has essentially matched his production across two leagues – trading a few more walks from A+ for a few more hits in AA. If not for the surplus of R5 eligible arms that were added to the MLB team ahead of him these last few weeks, he’d likely already be in Anaheim.

2021 (TRI A+/RCT AA): 2.59 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, .193 BAA, with 28 BB, 130 K, 8 HR allowed across 93.2 IP in 18 GS

2) Ryan Smith – LHP, Rocket City AA:

Following a couple months in Tri-City, Smith, a 5’11” 23-year-old lefty out of Princeton, was moved up to AA Rocket City and has yet to really be slowed much by much of anything. While his stellar Inland Empire line has dulled a bit as he’s advanced, Smith has still delivered quality innings in all three of his stops this season, and the last two weeks have indeed put an exclamation point on that narrative, as Smith sparkled in two starts, allowing only one ER (0.69 ERA) in 13 innings, with one walk to sixteen strikeouts. Like Daniel, Smith won’t be R5 eligible until the winter following the 2022 season, but his performance might force the Angels to consider the lefty for their major league staff sometime in ’22.

2021 (IE A/TRI A+/RCT AA): 4.28 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, .222 BAA, with 22 BB, 132 K, 14 HR allowed across 107 IP in 19 G/18 GS

3) John Swanda – RHP, Inland Empire, A:

Many have likely forgotten John Swanda, the Angels 4th round selection back in the 2017 draft. In his first three seasons, Swanda, now 22, rarely demonstrated any dominant stuff or positive results, but never really faltered either. At first glance, Swanda’s 2021 season looks pedestrian as well; no gaudy strikeout numbers, middling earned runs allowed, average HR and BB rates, but a closer look would reveal that Swanda’s season echoes perhaps what Cooper Criswell did in 2019; steady, consistent innings that were quietly dominant, punctuated by an occasional poor start. Swanda’s last two starts have been his best, as he limited opponents to just four hits (.089 BAA) and three walks in 13.1 scoreless innings while striking out 16. In his last four games now, he’s earned three wins, allowed a 1.48 ERA and .170 BAA in 24.1 IP with 25 K. Swanda will be Rule 5 eligible this winter, but lacking any high-octane stuff or shiny results should keep him safe from selection, which could work to the Angels’ benefit.

2021 (IE A): 4.14 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, .250 BAA, with 33 BB, 92 K, 13 HR allowed across 104.1 IP in 20 G/15 GS

4) Thomas Pannone – LHP, Salt Lake City AAA:

The Angels had probably hoped for a little more from lefty Thomas Pannone when they signed him to a minor league deal this past winter. Originally drafted by Cleveland in the 9th round and a decent prospect when acquired in trade by Toronto, Pannone had glimpses of promise in two MLB stints in the bigs but has yet to see that continue into his ’21 season with the Bees, a campaign which has been nothing short of a disaster. But Pannone might be showing signs of ending the year on a high note, as he has now strung together four straight decent appearances, including his three most recent starts, two of which were 7 IP efforts. Pannone posted a 2.95 ERA in that time, allowing two walks, 16 hits, and 2 HR while striking out 14. Likely ticketed for minor league free agency this winter, he won’t factor into the Angels future plans much, but could still see himself in the bigs this year should the Halos need a spot starter.

2021 (SLC AAA): 7.21 ERA, 1.71 WHIP, .196 BAA, with 32 BB, 67 K, 20 HR allowed across 97.1 IP in 20 G/17 GS

5) Fernando Guanare – RHP, Dominican Rk.:

Anytime a teenage arm can string up a couple of starts like Fernando Guanare has of late, it will catch some eyes. Posting 12 IP, 11 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 15 K in his last two starts, Guanare has continued to flash some strong strikeout stuff all season while, perhaps most impressively walking only one to date in his first pro season. Only 18 and listed at 6’1” 140 Guanare is still obviously a ways off, but strong performances tend to earn stateside rookie ball promotions no matter how young the arm. Could be an interesting one to watch in 2022.

2021 (Dominican Rk.): 2.31 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, .268 BAA, with 1 BB, 38 K, 0 HR allowed across 39 IP in 8 GS

Honorable mention, pitchers:
Adam Seminaris (LHP Tri-City A+):
1.74 ERA, .216 BAA with 4 BB, 11 K across 10.1 IP in 2 GS – now sporting a 3.33 ERA in last ten starts, 69 K in 51.1 IP
Mason Erla (RHP RCT AA): 0.00 ERA, .125 BAA with 0 BB, 9 K across 5 IP in 2 GS –nearly perfect start to pro career. 24 years old, could move fast.
Janson Junk (RHP RCT AA): 3.12 ERA, .071 BAA with 1 BB, 8 K across 8.2 IP in 1 GS – just missed a perfect game, but got an MLB debut instead
Luke Murphy (RHP TRI A+): 4.76 ERA, .227 BAA with 1 BB, 10 K across 5.2 IP in 4 G – virtually all damage against came in last appearance, nearly perfect before
Braden Olthoff (RHP Arizona Rk.): 1.29 ERA, .179 BAA with BB, 14 K across 7 IP in 2 GS – extremely strong start could garner promotion soon
Tyler Danish (RHP SLC AAA): 1.69 ERA, .220 BAA with 2 BB, 13 K across 10.2 IP in 4 G/1 GS – freshly baked success for @Angels1961 fav
Dylan King (RHP TRI A+): 4.50 ERA, .200 BAA with 0 BB, 14 K across 8 IP in 2 G – sleeper reliever prospect to watch, 67 K in 42.1 IP.
Hector Yan (LHP TRI A+): 1.35 ERA, .136 BAA with 8 BB, 14 K across 6.2 IP in 2 G – struck out 21 of 49 hitters since moving to relief – and walked 15.
Leonard Garcia (LHP Arizona Rk.): 1.04 ERA, .188 BAA with 6 BB, 15 K across 8.2 IP in 2 GS – only 17 and already stateside, arguably could have beat Guanare for #5 on this list
Brandon Dufault (RHP IE A): 0.00 ERA, .200 BAA with 3 BB, 7 K across 5 IP in 3 G – control issues, but all signs point to solid relief arm in the making

--Position Players--

1) Michael Stefanic – 2B/DH, Salt Lake City AAA:

¯\_()_/¯

You can make an argument that with a .340 BA in 101 games, Michael Stefanic leads all minor league baseball in batting average – some lower-level players with fewer PA/G have higher BA are ahead – and he has maintained that .340 BA over the last two weeks, with 16 more hits in 47 AB. Not a true power threat, Stefanic’s SLG did drop slightly as he added only three extra-base hits (all doubles) in the last two weeks, but he maintained his excellent contact/discipline skills, posting 7 BB (one IBB) to 7 K in that time. While a call-up to Anaheim has yet to materialize (to the chagrin of many) it is probably safe to assume Stefanic will find himself placed on the 40-man this offseason given his R5 eligibility, and it could be Minasian is using the majors to determine which of the Mayfield, Rengifo, Wong contingent he wants to keep with Stefanic, and not in place of.

2021 (RCT AA/SLC AAA): .340/.410/.494/.904 with 18 doubles, 14 home runs, 56 RBI, and 40 BB, 64 K, 5/8 SB attempts in 101 G/441 PA

2) Orlando Martinez – OF/DH, Rocket City AA:

It’s been an uneven, but still encouraging, season for the 23-year-old Cuban outfielder, whose strong rebound in August from a brutal July (.606 OPS) continued over the last two weeks, slashing .355/.412/.548/.960 in 8 G/34 PA, adding a double, triple, and a homer to his ledger, drawing 3 BB to 5 K, and swiping three bags in three attempts. Had it not been for his July slide, Martinez would have a very solid .283/.340/.502/.842 slash. The lack of discipline remains Martinez’ biggest obstacle, but his sustained success with strong contact and at least average (if not slightly better) power still hints at an outfielder who has at least platoon-potential in the bigs as a ceiling. Martinez will be R5 eligible this winter, and while outfielders with his skill set typically are not protected as they are common across orgs, he’s also the type of player often selected in R5 to round out a rebuilding club’s bench. As such, there’s a strong chance he’s discussed in trades.

2021 (RCT AA): .265/.318/.468/.785 with 23 doubles, 2 triples, 16 home runs, 51 RBI, 26 BB, 110, 5/7 SB attempts in 94 G/401 PA

3) Braxton Martinez – 1B/DH, Tri-City A+:

The Angels finally promoted the 27-year-old signee out of Indy ball on August 25th, and so far, so good, as Martinez has responded to the next level with little issue, continuing right where he left off by slashing .308/.367/.692/1.059 in his first 7 games at A+, clubbing three homers, a double, and drawing three walks to 10 strikeouts. It remains incredibly unlikely that Martinez ascends in a way that impacts the major league team, but he’s certainly filled a role for the organization’s lower levels this year by posting an MVP-quality season.

2021 (IE A/TRI A+): .331/.439/.588/1.027 with 28 doubles, 3 triples, 15 home runs, 64 RBI, 59 BB, 62 K in 86 G/378 PA

4) David MacKinnon – 1B/DH, Rocket City AA:

MacKinnon suffered a rare cold snap over his last month or so, mustering only a .211 BA from July 23rd to August 22nd, but the disciplined, high-contact first baseman has returned to form over the last two weeks, slashing .310/.382/.621/1.003 over 8 games, tallying three more doubles and two more HR, giving him a new career-high in doubles with 30 and adding to his career-high HR total of 13. Rule 5 eligible this winter, the Angels, like with Stefanic and Martinez, will have some interesting decisions to make, as MacKinnon has proven himself to be a consistent offensive presence across his career. While his power and position might limit his paths to the majors, his contact, discipline, and defense parallel someone like Yandy Diaz, and a team with similar first-base depth issues and budget concerns could have interest in MacKinnon either by way of draft or trade.

2021 (Rocket City AA): .292/.388/.497/.885 with 30 doubles, 13 home runs, 63 RBI, 48 BB, 75 K in 91 G/392 PA

5) Adrian Placencia – 2B/SS, Arizona Rk.:

With Vera advancing to Inland Empire, Adrian Placencia and Werner Blakely will now draw more attention in Arizona, and over the last two weeks, Placencia has done just that. While Placencia’s batting average has yet to shine in any way (he’s hitting only .193 on the season, though a .247 BAbip is partly to blame), he has demonstrated maybe the most balanced offensive approach of any of the Angels young mid-infield prospects, slashing .250/.357/.583/.940 over the last two weeks, adding all sorts of extra-base hits (one double, two triples, one homer) in that time, while also maintaining good plate discipline (4 BB to 8 K) and a bit of speed, with two stolen bases in two attempts.

2021 (Arizona RK.): .193/.356/.395/.751 with 3 doubles, 3 triples, 5 home runs, 18 RBI, 27 BB, 41 K in 35 G/149 PA

Honorable mentions, position players:
Adrian Rondon (2B/SS TRI A+): .321/.387/.464/.851 with 2B, HR, 3 BB, 10 K in 8 G/31 PA
Jose Rojas (1B/3B/LF SLC AAA): .239/.340/.457/.796 with 2 2B, 3B, 2 HR, 7 BB, 10 K in 13 G/53 PA
Mitch Nay (1B/3B RCT AA): .259/.394/.444/.838 with 2 2B, HR, 6 BB, 6 K in 8 G/33 PA
Kyle Kasser (LF/RF/1B TRI A+): .303/.395/.303/.698 with 4 BB, 8 K, 2 SB in 10 G/38 PA

View the full article

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

Damn. I mean where else are you going to get this kind of awesome content?  I love being able to get a summary like this and see the status of the minor league system.

This stuff rocks.   Good job, as always.

100% @True Grich!

Great job as usual @totdprods.

I'm really stoked about Daniel and Stefanic. I wonder if we see them with the Angels before season end. 

20 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Has Thaiss cooled down in SLC?

.207/.302/.326/.628 in the 106 PA he's had since his very brief MLB call-up. 13 BB to 23 K, so discipline isn't horrible, and a .250 BAbip factors in some bad luck, but otherwise yeah, just been sort of so-so.

Worth noting, he's been playing catcher the last couple of weeks without having a DH day in between starts as he had earlier in the season.

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

.207/.302/.326/.628 in the 106 PA he's had since his very brief MLB call-up. 13 BB to 23 K, so discipline isn't horrible, and a .250 BAbip factors in some bad luck, but otherwise yeah, just been sort of so-so.

Worth noting, he's been playing catcher the last couple of weeks without having a DH day in between starts as he had earlier in the season.

You think the workload of catching is effecting his hitting?

6 minutes ago, DMVol said:

We've got enough young guys making noise that I'm not sure Thaiss makes the 40 man this winter....

Gonna be a lot of different routes we can go this winter. The 40-man is fairly crowded, and there's quite a bit of redundancy across the youngsters. 

Virtually guaranteed 40-man locks (14):

• Position Players (8): Stassi, Walsh, Fletcher, Rendon, Upton, Trout, Adell, Marsh
  • Pitchers (6): Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Canning, Detmers, Rodriguez, Mayers

Likely to stick (19):

• Position Players (6): Gosselin, Mayfield, Rengifo, Ward, Thaiss, Rojas
  • Pitchers (13): Barria, Warren, Wantz, Naughton, Junk, Quijada, Herget, Ortega, Tyler, Criswell, Marte, Peguero, Yan

There's a lot of overlap between the roles and ceilings of the players listed above, and they take up a huge chunk of the 40-man.
I still think it makes sense to try and turn 2-5 of these names above into 1-2 established MLBers if only just to clear up a couple more spots on the 40-man 

On the fringe (7):

• Position Players (3): Wong, Barreto, Wallach
  • Pitchers (4): Selman, Petricka, Bard, Hoyt

That's already 40 players already before the following eight come off:

Definitely coming off, but a couple could be re-signed (8):

• Position Players (3): Suzuki, Lagares, Fowler
  • Pitchers (5): Iglesias, Cishek, Guerra, Cobb, Bundy

And we have these guys to consider:

Rule 5 eligible who could be added (tried to list in order of likeliness added): 

• Position players: Stefanic, Knowles, Martinez, Soto, MacKinnon, Davis, Aviles, Deveaux, Lund, Wilson, Maitan
  • Pitchers: Diaz, Pina, Hernandez, Brady, Molina, Salvador, Swanda, Franco, Aquino

I think Stefanic and maybe an arm are added, at most.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Gonna be a lot of different routes we can go this winter. The 40-man is fairly crowded, and there's quite a bit of redundancy across the youngsters. 

Virtually guaranteed 40-man locks (14):

• Position Players (8): Stassi, Walsh, Fletcher, Rendon, Upton, Trout, Adell, Marsh
  • Pitchers (6): Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Canning, Detmers, Rodriguez, Mayers

Likely to stick (19):

• Position Players (6): Gosselin, Mayfield, Rengifo, Ward, Thaiss, Rojas
  • Pitchers (13): Barria, Warren, Wantz, Naughton, Junk, Quijada, Herget, Ortega, Tyler, Criswell, Marte, Peguero, Yan

There's a lot of overlap between the roles and ceilings of the players listed above, and they take up a huge chunk of the 40-man.
I still think it makes sense to try and turn 2-5 of these names above into 1-2 established MLBers if only just to clear up a couple more spots on the 40-man 

On the fringe (7):

• Position Players (3): Wong, Barreto, Wallach
  • Pitchers (4): Selman, Petricka, Bard, Hoyt

That's already 40 players already before the following eight come off:

Definitely coming off, but a couple could be re-signed (8):

• Position Players (3): Suzuki, Lagares, Fowler
  • Pitchers (5): Iglesias, Cishek, Guerra, Cobb, Bundy

And we have these guys to consider:

Rule 5 eligible who could be added (tried to list in order of likeliness added): 

• Position players: Stefanic, Knowles, Martinez, Soto, MacKinnon, Davis, Aviles, Deveaux, Lund, Wilson, Maitan
  • Pitchers: Diaz, Pina, Hernandez, Brady, Molina, Salvador, Swanda, Franco, Aquino

I think Stefanic and maybe an arm are added, at most.

I'd be surprised if Selman, Petricka, Hoyt or Bard are even on the fringe....we have a bunch of young pitchers, with more on the way after the draft this year....I'm also still not sure that either Ward or Thaiss make it....Honestly, I think Lagares has done enough to warrant more consideration....He's not been great but he is pretty functional.....I would rather have him than Ward.  Not sure about Rojas....might depend on how things shake out with FA's and trades, how many spots we have....

14 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I'd be surprised if Selman, Petricka, Hoyt or Bard are even on the fringe....we have a bunch of young pitchers, with more on the way after the draft this year....I'm also still not sure that either Ward or Thaiss make it....Honestly, I think Lagares has done enough to warrant more consideration....He's not been great but he is pretty functional.....I would rather have him than Ward.  Not sure about Rojas....might depend on how things shake out with FA's and trades, how many spots we have....

Hoyt and Bard won't have options, so they're almost certainly gone. 
Selman will have an option remaining - Quijada won't. As it stands now, they're the only two 'real' lefty relievers on the staff (if you count Packy and Suarez as SPs), so that's why I could see Selman somehow making the cut. 

Petricka will have an option too, but I think he's definitely gone. Still, the fact he remains and they've leaned on him could give him some weird chance. Like, 2%.

I personally really like the idea of the bench being Gosselin, Mayfield, Lagares, and maybe one of Ward/Thaiss, but neither as the primary back-up catcher. More like a 3rd string. 
So to your point, even though both will have an option next year, I'm not sure there's enough difference between the two to justify each having a spot on the 40-man, and I think either could be attractive in the right trade for the right team.
I'm also fine with Thaiss staying in the org as the primary AAA catcher next year, but not the back-up. Not yet. With how critical catching is, especially to this team, I cannot think he'd be 'MLB-ready' in even a back-up capacity after only accruing some 400-500 innings behind the plate for the first time in 5 years and since college. He'll need more seasoning still. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I personally really like the idea of the bench being Gosselin, Mayfield, Lagares, and maybe one of Ward/Thaiss, but neither as the primary back-up catcher. More like a 3rd string. 
So to your point, even though both will have an option next year, I'm not sure there's enough difference between the two to justify each having a spot on the 40-man, and I think either could be attractive in the right trade for the right team.
I'm also fine with Thaiss staying in the org as the primary AAA catcher next year, but not the back-up. Not yet. With how critical catching is, especially to this team, I cannot think he'd be 'MLB-ready' in even a back-up capacity after only accruing some 400-500 innings behind the plate for the first time in 5 years and since college. He'll need more seasoning still. 

I am probably underestimating the value of Ward and Thaiss because they both have some flexibility, particularly with the catcher option.....You know, having Thaiss concentrate on catching for another year makes some sense....I know he is probably an outlier but Austin Nola didn't get to the bigs until he was 29 or 30, after switching to catcher in the minors....

5 hours ago, DMVol said:

I am probably underestimating the value of Ward and Thaiss because they both have some flexibility, particularly with the catcher option.....You know, having Thaiss concentrate on catching for another year makes some sense....I know he is probably an outlier but Austin Nola didn't get to the bigs until he was 29 or 30, after switching to catcher in the minors....

Plus Stassi is set to hit FA after next year I believe...Nola is a good parallel.

Miami has soured on Jorge Alfaro, and they could use MLB-ready bats, even lesser guys like Thaiss, Rojas, Ward, Rengifo, and they have a bunch of arms. Wouldn't mind seeing the Angels turn a couple of our young R5-eligible/just added arms and one of our 40-man depth bats to pull away a RP and Alfaro, even if he'd just sort of replace Ward in a redundant manner. Could be a good change-of-scenery guy who can still catch but also play some corner positions. Rojas and Cooper are interesting Marlins bats to look at too.

17 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What would it take to get Miguel Rojas, Alfaro, and a late innings arm from the Marlins?

Kinda hard to say because the Marlins org seems to love Rojas. They see him as their captain almost, so they're going to overvalue him. That doesn't mean he's untouchable, but how much do you want to overpay for Miguel Rojas, especially when a ton of SS are hitting the market, when he will almost surely require an overpay of some sorts given the value they've placed on him?

Their relief arms run a pretty wide gamut and for an org like the Marlins, especially with their pitching depth, any one of them could be available, from Anthony Bender who has tons of control and has been nearly elite, to Anthony Bass who has a few mil committed and middling peripherals (but also signs that he can bounce back) to a quality vet set-up man in Dylan Floro to a an 'old' crafty vet lefty reliever in Bleier. 

Alfaro could very well be a non-tender candidate, so he won't cost much. That's part of why I think the Angels match up though...he absolutely has the experience to be a back-up catcher on a regular basis unlike Ward or Thaiss (yet), but also has similar capability across the diamond. 

Either way the Angels can probably start putting together a decent package by offering one of Rengifo or Jeremiah Jackson (especially if they want to make a run at Rojas and a better RP), maybe a corner bat like Thaiss or Rojas or an outfielder like Ward or Martinez, and then dip into some of their young new relief arms either recently added or due to be added this winter (think the Yan, Pina, Hernandez types). 

So maybe Rengifo, Ward/Martinez, and a young arm for Alfaro and a RP, or push further with something like Jackson, any of the young bats mentioned, and Yan and I dunno, Junk for Alfaro, Rojas, and a RP. Just spitballin'

I also really like Elieser Hernandez as either a starter or a reliever (either back-end or multiple inning) and hope there's a chance he gets squeezed by some of the better SP prospects emerging for them. 

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Thanks for writing this. I always enjoy reading the summaries. 

Thank you @Dave Saltzer, it's a pleasure writing them!
I was looking at a few from 2019 the other day and it was fun reading about how well Walsh, Rojas and Tyler, Ortega, Criswell were doing long before they were getting some mentions in prospect lists outside of AW.