• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marsh and Adell

Torridd

Marsh's K rates need to go down, but he showing improvement and is going the right direction. I still think he needs to quite his hands more. 

Jo has been hitting the ball hard, and strike-outs are going to be his thing. He has looked alot different and much comfortable than last year. With him its a waiting thing before it clicks. 

I think it’s a good thing all three are gaining valuable experience they couldn’t get in the minors.  It may cost a year of service time but who knows with the new CBA.  I try to take the CBA factor and COVID into account when considering some of the choices Minasian and Maddon make.  Regardless, I would like seeing them get this chance in any year and hope they are a big part of the team going forward.

2 hours ago, Torridd said:

Do you think they were brought up too quickly or they just need to play through their adversity, that's there's nothing left to learn in AAA? 

It was a handcuff situation with a lack of actual outfielders in the lineup instead of utility players out of position that prompted the call up. Like Detmers, it was too soon but the Angels really didn't have any other choice so now that they are here and the season isn't changing it's direction, (idling at .500) they might as well stay and get an advanced lesson in major league baseball play. Ideally the three of them Marsh, Adell and Detmers should have been September call ups. 

Detmers is the only one I feel isn't ready, yet. Adell and Marsh look fine and I think that with more at bats, they'll look even better. This isn't last year's version of Jo Adell. He looks calm and confident out there. His power stroke will come along and some of these balls he's hitting hard will drop for him.

Detmers on the other hand...needs to locate his FB better and just get a feel for the step up in competition. Even though AAA is a pitcher's nightmare for us, I really think he'd benefit from a couple of months down there. 

I think people confuse being ready vs. the likelihood of coming to mlb and hitting the ground running at age 20-23.  Or even 24/25.  Generational players do the latter.  Most players, even really good ones take a year or two or maybe three to get their sea legs.  

Detmers, Adell and Marsh are not generational players but they are likely going to be really good.  Or at least above average.  At some point, the learning curve potential in the minors flattens out and they need that next level of competition.  They'll ramp up or they won't.  

Take Detmers for example.  Giving up a couple solo homers over 7 innings with 9 k's in AAA is not helping him grow.  It's only showing that he can get away with things he can't in the majors.  

And that's it for all prospects.  You get away with things when you're very good.  If you don't get challenged appropriately then you stagnate.  

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

It was a handcuff situation with a lack of actual outfielders in the lineup instead of utility players out of position that prompted the call up. Like Detmers, it was too soon but the Angels really didn't have any other choice so now that they are here and the season isn't changing it's direction, (idling at .500) they might as well stay and get an advanced lesson in major league baseball play. Ideally the three of them Marsh, Adell and Detmers should have been September call ups. 

The Angels had four healthy outfielders when Adell was called up.  They had three healthy outfielders when Marsh was called up, and two days after Marsh was called up, Upton returned. They brought them up for MLB experience. 

I think there's a very human aspect of this that gets overlooked and it's energy, momentum, excitement, chemistry.

Most veterans love having young guys around to help guide, they bring a lot of excitement and energy to the game. It's still a job, one that requires diligence and consistency which can sometimes create monotony and complacency. But when you mix in some bright eyed kids that still treat it like the fulfillment of all their childhood dreams, it keeps things fresh. 

Trout and Rendon are having a rough go of it this year. The team doesn't look like it'll compete so let Marsh, Adell, Rodriguez and Detmers come in and make it fun. 

52 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think there's a very human aspect of this that gets overlooked and it's energy, momentum, excitement, chemistry.

Most veterans love having young guys around to help guide, they bring a lot of excitement and energy to the game. It's still a job, one that requires diligence and consistency which can sometimes create monotony and complacency. But when you mix in some bright eyed kids that still treat it like the fulfillment of all their childhood dreams, it keeps things fresh. 

Trout and Rendon are having a rough go of it this year. The team doesn't look like it'll compete so let Marsh, Adell, Rodriguez and Detmers come in and make it fun. 

Now you done it, said “bright eyed kids” on music Sunday.

I've been a big advocate for this but these guys need to learn at the big league level. 

If this is a lost year, then (when healthy), guys like Detmers, Rodriguez, Sandoval, Suarez, Barria, Marsh, Adell, Marte, Warren and even Stefanic and others should be up here getting reps. 

It's no use keeping them in the minors when they could get their reps in at the big league level.