• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Griffin Canning ‘on the verge’ of breakthrough season, Joe Maddon says

AngelsWin.com

19 minutes ago, stormngt said:

My father never coached Clif Pondextor.  He was a freshman Lute Olsen first year.  However he was my father's recruit.  He and Roscoe wanted to follow my father to UNLV. My father told them to honor their commitment to Long Beach.  He was loyal to Long Beach.

Four words of bad taste in mouth:

Stephen Horn David Berst

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

I guess I now know what the gt in @stormngt stands for.  strom - how did you become an Angels fan?

My Father just finished his first year at Long Beach.  We were living in Huntington Harbor.  We spent a week at Palm Springs and a good friend of my father took me to a spring training game.  Jim Fregosi hit a walk off with a single between Short and 3rd.

I was six!  Wore that he  souvenir helmet he bought me all summer.  

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

I wondering how my quote got involved into this discussion.  

I never suggested Canning to minor league!

I was commenting that we have moved Barria to the pen for Cobb (who I believe is currently inferior pitcher) and now we are speculating starting Canning in AAA.  

I thought that concept of signing Odorrizo  and starting Canning in AAA ridiculous. 

My disappointment  is not spending to strengthen the pen this last month.

My mistake, I misunderstood you. Glad we both agree on Canning.

8 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I missed seeing him coach at LB State by two years, when first going to college there.  

Lute Olson had just left to coach at Iowa, after coaching LB State to a 24-2 season in his only season there (only 2 losses on the road by two pts each to nat’l runner-up Marquette and Colorado).

Ed Ratleff, Glenn McDonald, George Trapp, Roscoe and Cliff Pondexter, Rick Aberegg, and Chuck Terry were the key players in the LB State Tark era.

I missed all that too.  I was there after the Dwight Jones years and was there during the Tex Winter years.

I remain frustrated that the program hasn't made any noise since Seth Greenberg left and Joe Harrington before him. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Speaking of my 2nd favorite coach ever and his first year at LB State...

https://lbpost.com/sports/50-years-ago-tarkanian-put-long-beach-state-on-the-basketball-map

So many memories that also came out in one of Tark’s books, including Maurice Lucas also saying that he nearly came to LB State.

The amoeba defense was very difficult to navigate, and led to many fast breaks off of steals in the Vegas years.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

So many memories that also came out in one of Tark’s books, including Maurice Lucas also saying that he nearly came to LB State.

I never knew about Mauruce Lucus.  Raymond Lewis and George Gervin were the two I heard got away.  George Gervin was on Long Beach campus was supposed to enroll but he got homesick.

10 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I never knew about Mauruce Lucus.  Raymond Lewis and George Gervin were the two I heard got away.  George Gervin was on Long Beach campus was supposed to enroll but he got homesick.

There's going to be a documentary about Raymond Lewis:

https://www.raymondlewis.com/

18 minutes ago, True Grich said:

There's going to be a documentary about Raymond Lewis:

https://www.raymondlewis.com/

Yes I heard that on Twitter.  My father would say he was the best player he ever saw play.  Until Loyd Daniel's.  I ask him who was better between Danieks and Lewis and he said he couldnt pick one.

Edited by stormngt

50 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Yes I heard that on Twitter.  My father would say he was the best player he ever saw play.  Until Loyd Daniel's.  I ask him who was better between Danieks and Lewis and he said he couldnt pick one.

Lewis’ game against LB State at LA State, where he scored 53, was memorable although hurting to see it against LB State.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Lewis’ game against LB State at LA State, where he scored 53, was memorable although hurting to see it against LB State.

I was at that game.  It went into OT I believe.  I was only 9 but remember Lewis falling out of bounds and still hitting his shots.

Glen McDonald got hurt trying to guard him.  It cost Long Beach as they didnt have him against San Francisco in the playoffs