• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So you think you know baseball # 3

The question is based upon MLB rules. The Atlanta Braves and Cincinnati Reds are in a tie game in the bottom of the 9th. There are no runners on and 2 outs. Hitter # 1 has a 3-0 count. on a 3-0 count hitter #1 swings out of his shoes and misses for strike 1. He strained his oblique and cannot continue his at bat. Hitter #2 comes to the plate to finish the at bat. On the first pitch (3-1 count) hitter #2 hits a home run to win the game. Hitter #2 is only credited with an RBI but not a run. How is this possible?

I will post answer after tonight's game.

Well no interest. Sorry for posting.

Anyway here is the answer.

On the 3-1 count. Hitter #2 hits a high towering fly ball that barely  carries over the fence for a home run. While hustling it out (since he is not sure it's a home run) he rounds first, steps awkardly and tears his achilles tendon. He falls to the ground and can't move but the ball is over the fence for an HR and is a "dead ball" in the umpires eyes. Here is how MLB rule handles that.

5.10( c )(1)

The ball becomes dead when an umpire calls “Time.” The umpire-in-chief shall

call “Time”—

(a) When in his judgment weather, darkness or similar conditions make immediate further

play impossible;

(b When light failure makes it difficult or impossible for the umpires to follow the

play;

NOTE: A league may adopt its own regulations governing games interrupted by

light failure.

( c ) When an accident incapacitates a player or an umpire;

(1) If an accident to a runner is such as to prevent him from proceeding to a base

to which he is entitled, as on a home run hit out of the playing field, or an

award of one or more bases, a substitute runner shall be permitted to complete

the play.

From a statitics perspective, he is credited with the RBI but the run goes to the pinch runner.

Here is an actual MLB play that used that rule. It wasn't the scenario I described but the same circumstance.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=726908836840

I actually didnt take away the free tickets but  I think that might have violated the Forum Rules because I checked 2 hours later and there were no replies and zero views. I reposted figuring I must have violated the forum terms on the first post. 

I would love to put a couple Angel tickets on the line for some of these questions if Chuck is cool with it but I don't want to cause any issues and turn this forum into something not intented.