• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Moustakas

wopphil

34 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Not necessarily, but that’s one option. But also as a 2B or 3B. Cozart moved. I believe Didi and Simmons are countrymen too, as us Schoop. Pairing them up might be fun.

You'd like to have a little more power at 3b but we can cover 2b and 3b with Fletcher, Rengifo and LaStella...money needs to go to pitching...

28 minutes ago, DMVol said:

You'd like to have a little more power at 3b but we can cover 2b and 3b with Fletcher, Rengifo and LaStella...money needs to go to pitching...

Money needs to go to improvements. Pitching can come from free agency or it can come from trade. There's more than one way to skin a cat and we don't know how things will yet shake out. 

It's really easy to pencil in Cole at #1 and drop $30m+ plus annually on him, and I feel pretty good about the chances of that coming to be, but I'd say it's anyone's guess how arm(s) #2 or 3 will shake out.

But who next? That seems to be really up in the air. 

• Wheeler is top choice, but there's going to be a ton of teams in on him and someone will overpay. Not sure we'll have money to do that, even with Arte upping payroll. Minnesota will be willing to go all out, and I doubt Cole/Stras go there. Houston might jump in too. Wheeler could be Cole 2.0 to them, making it easier for them to pass on re-signing Gerrit. 
  • Bumgarner seems like the next more realistic, but he might have a preference to stay in the NL so he can hit or towards Atlanta as it was his hometown team/close to home. Plus, they're likely to be willing to spend big for a top-arm, and Cole/Stras might be too much. 
  • Ryu's durability concerns could scare off the Halos, and he also feels like a better top target for the Dodgers than Cole or Strasburg since they don't want to do huge mega-deals, so I think ultimately, they'll match up and he'll return. 
  • Hamels is realistic I think, but his age and salary make him tricky to assume anything as a second target.
  • After those names, it drops down a tier, in my opinion, to guys like Keuchel, Wood, Porcello, Gibson, Hill, Pineda, Wacha, Roark, Teheran maybe Gio and Miley...these guys are mostly fine, but I think Stroman, Ray, Gray, Boyd, Minor would all slot in between these names and the ones mentioned above. If you have to deal a Rengifo or a La Srtella or a Fletcher or a Thaiss to get one, and then replace with a Moustakas, it's probably comparable to who you'd be signing via FA. 

52 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I feel like Moustakas is a known commodity at least at this point. Sign him to a 1-2 year deal and at least you know what you're getting (barring injury). Of the 3 guys you mentioned, I think Fletcher is the most likely to repeat his performance from last year. I'm hoping LaStella's power surge from 2019 shows back up in 2020, but I wouldn't call that a sure thing by any means. Rengifo is still developing so it's still kinda hard to say what value he will provide in 2020. 

I see the players available this offseason breaking into tiers like this:

• Tier One: 
    • FA: Cole, Strasburg
    • Trade: Sale
    • Hitters: Rendon, or Lindor by trade
  • Tier Two:
    • FA: Wheeler, Bumgarner, Ryu, maybe Hamels
    • Trade: Darvish, Kluber, Price, Ray, Stroman, Gray, Minor, maybe Boyd, Lester, Hendricks
    • Hitters: Contreras, Grandal, Castellanos, Donaldson, Ozuna
  • Tier Three:
    • FA: Keuchel, Wood, Porcello, Gibson, Hill, Pineda, Wacha, Roark, Teheran, Perez, Gio and Miley
    • Trade: Samardzija, Junis, Quintana, DeSclafani, Lynn
    • Hitters: Moustakas, Gregorius, Thames, Schoop
  • Tier Four:
    • FA: Nova, Smyly, Moore, Bailey, Anderson, Ross, Hellickson
    • Trade: Chatwood, Bundy, Kennedy, Urena, Cobb

The Angels' offseason arguably needs one of the following combos to be true:

• one SP from Tier One and one SP from Tier Two
  • two SPs from Tier Two
  • one SP from Tier One, one SP from Tier 2, 3, or 4, and either a second SP from T3/4 or a T3 bat
  • one SP from Tier Two, one SP from Tier 3/4, and a T3 bat
  • two SPs from Tier 3 and a T1/2 bat, because we'd be counting on an offense-led team

As you can see, FA Tier Two is running thin on targets, while Trade Tier Two is pretty deep. 
Conversely, FA Tier Three is extremely deep, and some of those guys in a good year could give you a Tier Two arm.

The Angels might have to bank on trading for that Tier Two arm behind a hopeful Tier One signee, otherwise they might be forced into signing a Tier 3 arm and regardless, a bat, just to bring in enough overall improvements - and if you're likely going to have to sign a bat anyways, might as well explore the best value you can get in a FA signing, especially if that signing frees up a player to trade for a Tier Two arm. 

Would you rather have:

• Cole/Stras/Wheeler/T2 arm
  • a T3 FA arm,
  • and our infielders, or

• Cole/Stras/Wheeler/T2 arm
  • a trade for a T2 arm using one of our infielders,
  • and Moustakas? Or Gregorius. Or Grandal.
Edited by totdprods

14 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

This offseason is going to be an anxious time for me until Cole is signed, one way or the other. Last year it took way too long for Harper and Manny to sign, but I didn't care much because we weren't trying to sign either one. This year is different and I hope Cole doesn't take until ST to make up his mind.

I'm nervous he drags it out while other guys sign elsewhere and then he goes to the Yankees or somewhere and we get shut out

26 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

It’s no secret the Angels are looking for a bat ... just not sure it’s coming from 2nd or 3rd. 

If were looking for a bat it absolutely is a secret. Everything I've read is 2 pitchers and possible a catcher, and not an expensive offensive catcher either. Pretty sure we are standing pat on position players other than the catcher.

12 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

If were looking for a bat it absolutely is a secret. Everything I've read is 2 pitchers and possible a catcher, and not an expensive offensive catcher either. Pretty sure we are standing pat on position players other than the catcher.

Castellanos rumor ring a bell ... our offense going into the season has been weakened imo. 

50 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Castellanos rumor ring a bell ... our offense going into the season has been weakened imo. 

Why is it weakened? Rumors are all over the place but Eppler has said it what I believe will happen. Pitching, Pitching, and Pitching. We have plenty of IF depth. but the second worst rotation in baseball.

From the Inbox on the Angels web site:

Acquiring pitching is obviously the main priority this offseason, so any major upgrades to the lineup would be a bit of a surprise. The areas where they could use some help, however, are at first base, catcher and in the outfield.

It could make sense to add a left-handed power bat at first base to pair with Albert Pujols, much like they did with last offseason with the Justin Bour signing that didn’t pan out. But Eppler said at the GM Meetings that he’s comfortable with youngsters Jared Walsh and Matt Thaiss and that Tommy La Stella could see more time at first base. But there are some free-agent first basemen out there, including left-handed hitters Eric Thames and Mitch Moreland and switch-hitters Justin Smoak and Neil Walker.

At catcher, Eppler said that he believes they can get more out of Kevan Smith and Max Stassi next year, but that Stassi might not be ready for the start of the season after undergoing right hip surgery. A reunion with Martín Maldonado could make some sense, especially with his relationship with Gerrit Cole.

In the outfield, the Angels decided not to pick up Kole Calhoun’s $14 million option, but they could turn to Brian Goodwin in right until No. 1 prospect Jo Adell is ready. They’re likely to bring in some competition for Michael Hermosillo to be an extra outfielder next year, but not at a high cost.

12 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Why is it weakened? Rumors are all over the place but Eppler has said it what I believe will happen. Pitching, Pitching, and Pitching. We have plenty of IF depth. but the second worst rotation in baseball.

From the Inbox on the Angels web site:

Acquiring pitching is obviously the main priority this offseason, so any major upgrades to the lineup would be a bit of a surprise. The areas where they could use some help, however, are at first base, catcher and in the outfield.

It could make sense to add a left-handed power bat at first base to pair with Albert Pujols, much like they did with last offseason with the Justin Bour signing that didn’t pan out. But Eppler said at the GM Meetings that he’s comfortable with youngsters Jared Walsh and Matt Thaiss and that Tommy La Stella could see more time at first base. But there are some free-agent first basemen out there, including left-handed hitters Eric Thames and Mitch Moreland and switch-hitters Justin Smoak and Neil Walker.

At catcher, Eppler said that he believes they can get more out of Kevan Smith and Max Stassi next year, but that Stassi might not be ready for the start of the season after undergoing right hip surgery. A reunion with Martín Maldonado could make some sense, especially with his relationship with Gerrit Cole.

In the outfield, the Angels decided not to pick up Kole Calhoun’s $14 million option, but they could turn to Brian Goodwin in right until No. 1 prospect Jo Adell is ready. They’re likely to bring in some competition for Michael Hermosillo to be an extra outfielder next year, but not at a high cost.

You’re probably going to get a lot fewer AB’s from Ohtani and who knows what will get from Goodwin. Pujols had a very good season but shouldn’t be counted on. It isn’t like the Angels offense was that great last season. 

Maybe you’re right 🤔 

3 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You’re probably going to get a lot fewer AB’s from Ohtani and who knows what will get from Goodwin. Pujols had a very good season but shouldn’t be counted on. It isn’t like the Angels offense was that great last season. 

Maybe you’re right 🤔 

Albert was below average last year, so no he didn’t have a very good season. 

18 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Maybe you’re right 🤔 

Probably going to get a lot more AB from Upton and Simmons and La Stella. Thais is still a work in progress and could be a platoon with Albert. Adell will make his major league debut sooner than later next season and Marsh is not that far behind. We only have so much money to spend and the greatest offense will be wasted if the pitching is anything like last years. Se need to spend at least $50M on pitching alone. Just don't think we can afford an expensive bat at this time. Pitching wins games.

Without Cole, JV, and Grienke last year I doubt the Astros make the playoffs.

What Fletcher lacks in power he more than makes up in clutch hits defense and overall enthusiasm...

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

8 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Probably going to get a lot more AB from Upton and Simmons and La Stella. Thais is still a work in progress and could be a platoon with Albert. Adell will make his major league debut sooner than later next season and Marsh is not that far behind. We only have so much money to spend and the greatest offense will be wasted if the pitching is anything like last years. Se need to spend at least $50M on pitching alone. Just don't think we can afford an expensive bat at this time. Pitching wins games.

Without Cole, JV, and Grienke last year I doubt the Astros make the playoffs.

Last I heard it’s a team sport. Pitching and defense is first and foremost imo. Yet, if your offense is average ... making the playoffs will be challenging. 

Anyways, I expect them to add a impact bat. Possibly a veteran on a short term deal. 

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You need to ask Eppler ... but I wasn’t referring to anyone in particular. If you don’t believe we’re a bat short then I don’t know what to say. 

I asked you because it’s a Moustakas thread and you think they’ll add an impact bat.  I was simply curious what you consider an impact bat.  

25 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Moustakas would help depending on who he takes at bats from.  

2b and 3b are covered between Fletcher, La Stella and Rengifo.  

If Moose become the primary 1bman and gets some DH at bats then it makes some sense.  

Not sure how committed the Angels are at getting Albert out of the lineup at this point.  

Signing Moose would certainly force the issue, assuming they keep La Stella and Fletcher, and to a lesser degree, Thaiss and Rengifo. 

If Moose, La Stella, and Fletcher rotate through 1B (except Fletcher), 3B, and 2B, and if all three are hitting...Pujols sits. If La Stella or Fletcher don't hit for any reason, Moose steps in and Pujols gets more playing time. 

And all of that makes it easier to part with Thaiss/Rengifo in a trade for that second pitcher to slot behind ideally Cole, which seems to be fairly realistic given how the second tier of SP (Wheeler, Ryu, Bumgarner) seems like it'll be awfully hard to match up in.

Edited by totdprods

I can see the value of adding Moose.   I think that move would most likely be a significant upgrade..   But, after taking into account how poorly we did in other areas last season  (SP, C, and 1B),   I think we'd be better off addressing those areas with FA's and hoping/praying/wishing that at least one guy from our current roster can step up at 3B.

2 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

I can see the value of adding Moose.   I think that move would most likely be a significant upgrade..   But, after taking into account how poorly we did in other areas last season  (SP, C, and 1B),   I think we'd be better off addressing those areas with FA's and hoping/praying/wishing that at least one guy from our current roster can step up at 3B.

Moustakas could play 1B, or lead to La Stella playing more 1B.