• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now begins the schedule of brutality.

Angel Oracle

17 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Calhoun can hit really well for a few weeks, then his bat disappears for a month or more. I've just about had it with him.

I mean, I get that it's frustrating when you watch it game-by-game, but the dude still has 28 HR and a 106 OPS+. He "is what he is"; an above average hitter with exceptional defense. 

Except for last year, when all is said and done, his numbers will be fine. 

At this point though, it doesn't even matter. He's likely not going to be here next season.

13 minutes ago, RBM said:

Yeah, I would say 5-13 is a good guess for the final 18 games. 17 now.

72-90 is a big ouch but it is what it is. Let's hope Eppler makes better decisions for 2020 or the next guy does for 2021.

I really think Scioscia would have found a way to squeeze 80 wins out of this team which really would have no value. Those 8 extra wins are draft pick slots given away to say they fought hard until the end. That they are building to next year. I'd rather have the draft pick.

The problem is next year, if the starting pitching is attended to in a reasonable fashion, I just don't see Ausmus picking up those 8 wins plus what should come from a complete and functional roster. I have not seen from him any decision making that would claim a game in the balance, he is too risk aversive to be creative and create runs through hit and run or stolen bases. 

With a good pitching staff the Angels will be as good as managing from the safest analytical approach will take them. Maybe the Wild card but doubtful any where else. 

16 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean, I get that it's frustrating when you watch it game-by-game, but the dude still has 28 HR and a 106 OPS+. He "is what he is"; an above average hitter with exceptional defense. 

Except for last year, when all is said and done, his numbers will be fine. 

At this point though, it doesn't even matter. He's likely not going to be here next season.

Dont care about his 28 HR. To many dead at bats with an average under .250. I am not saying get rid of him but they should be looking for a replacement. If a pitching prospect is available, then take it. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really think Scioscia would have found a way to squeeze 80 wins out of this team which really would have no value. Those 8 extra wins are draft pick slots given away to say they fought hard until the end. That they are building to next year. I'd rather have the draft pick.

The problem is next year, if the starting pitching is attended to in a reasonable fashion, I just don't see Ausmus picking up those 8 wins plus what should come from a complete and functional roster. I have not seen from him any decision making that would claim a game in the balance, he is too risk aversive to be creative and create runs through hit and run or stolen bases. 

With a good pitching staff the Angels will be as good as managing from the safest analytical approach will take them. Maybe the Wild card but doubtful any where else. 

I dont think you can tell whether he is a good manager or not with the pitching staff below even Div 1 college level the way it is. In most games before the 3-4th innings start, they are down 5 runs. This is the worst staff I've seen in their history. 

2 hours ago, Mark PT said:

I dont think you can tell whether he is a good manager or not with the pitching staff below even Div 1 college level the way it is. In most games before the 3-4th innings start, they are down 5 runs. This is the worst staff I've seen in their history. 

He didn't start the season with a 4A pitching staff. I just don't see any real managerial decision making in game that was to change an outcome rather than just to react to one. 

19 hours ago, Blarg said:

He didn't start the season with a 4A pitching staff. I just don't see any real managerial decision making in game that was to change an outcome rather than just to react to one. 

I agree. But at this point you dont make normal managerial decisions. I mean you just take guys out and put others in when one begins to fail. You put in Buttrey, he walks the bases loaded, now what. There is no one to go to, so you just change for the sake of changing. He is in a tough spot. Decisions on this team are moot at this point.