• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trevor Rosenthal

jgimondo

5 minutes ago, failos said:

How about signing a pitcher that isn't a reclamation project for once? Tired of these washed out players people here keep clamoring for.

Well everyone who should be in the minors is up with the big club so we have openings in the minor leagues.  Might as well see if there is anything left.  

27 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

I'd sign David Hernandez, Greg Holland, Tony Sipp, or Bud Norris before Rosenthal.

We had Hernandez in 2017, (turning 35) since then his arm fell off.

Holland has been nothing special for Arizona, is turning 34 and will demand a veteran salary. Expect regression.

Tony Will is a clone of Holland and 2 years older. Another candidate for regression to Hernandez numbers. 

Norris will be 34, another just average career that saw a small bump in ERA moving to the NL. Another guy that has had his best years and will probably decline. 

All of the guys you listed are going to be $3+ million to sign for a one year stopgap reliever. 

Rosenthal is possibly toast at age 29. So I would be hesitant to sign him to anything more than a minor league contract, if that. It requires the Nationals to pay the buyout to give him free agent status, which they probably will.

But of the list you gave, I wouldn't bother with any of them.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Well everyone who should be in the minors is up with the big club so we have openings in the minor leagues.  Might as well see if there is anything left.  

If the team acquired decent pitching they wouldn’t need to bring underdeveloped prospects into the bigs

12 minutes ago, failos said:

If the team acquired decent pitching they wouldn’t need to bring underdeveloped prospects into the bigs

Decent pitchers don’t get hurt and go on the IL?  Decent pitchers don’t tragically pass away?

While I understand your frustration, your basis is off.

8 hours ago, failos said:

How about signing a pitcher that isn't a reclamation project for once? Tired of these washed out players people here keep clamoring for.

Anyone who is available now is a reclamation project. They have to either claimed off waivers or signed after being released. Also, pitching in the PCL is no recipe for success.  

Yankees scooped up Rosenthal?

Rosenthal is from St. Louis was a young phenom fireballer who was signed by the Cardinals.

Perhaps as part of the SI curse, SI did a story on Rosenthal as he was up and coming. Was the Cards closer and lights out for about two seasons but then like most fireballers, it seems, he blew out his arm - I think he had Tommy John surgery and then struggled back with the Cards,  They let him walk and Washington signed him.

Rosenthal was part of the Nats' pen first part of this season, wasn't the closer - sort of a pre-set up / set up guy,  His final appearance with the Nats he was asked to hold a lead, gave up five runs in less than an inning and that evening after the game, Washington DFA'd him. 

I think he's done at 29 as an earlier post opines as well.

But Yanks have the money so they take a flyer on him -- it's probably another rehab period of time for him -- maybe he comes out of it down the road being able to be an effective pen guy (not necessarily a closer) for an MLB team, perhaps the Yankees...