• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pitching Dilemma 7/26/2019

So we all knew that using the pen the way this team uses it, based on preference as well as ineffectiveness would eventually come back to bite us in the ass, well we are probably at that spot right now.  

This morning we used tonight’s starter so Canning won’t be available tonight or tomorrow, but maybe he can start on Sunday or Monday, maybe.  

Cam has pitched 3 days in a row.

Robles has pitched 4 games in a row.

Taylor Cole has pitched 3 games in a row.

Buttrey has pitched a lot.

Mejia has pitched in all four games since he was acquired and he pitched 3 innings of GREAT relief last night/this morning.

Noe has the flu.

Heaney is on the DL

We only have 3 starters on the roster basically.  

Because of our shuffle game we do with bringing guys up so often we are kind of at a cross roads, because it hasn’t been 10 days since we sent those guys down. Bard (who sucks) has only been down 8 days.  Jewel has been down 6 days.  To the best of my knowledge those are the only guys on the 40 man roster.  We can’t even call up Walsh because he has only been down for 5 days.  Couple this with us having to create a roster spot for JC Ramirez very soon.  I truly have no idea what the team is going to do to piece it together over the next several days.  

It would be a total dick move but I could see Mejia being released.  

Oh and this doesn’t include what we will be doing to fill the starting spot that Peters took and then was sent down.  

We are going to see some injuries, or some guys sent packing.  

Whoever pitches tonight is simply going to have to wear it and pitch 7-8 innings regardless of performance.  This is not a good place to be in.  

Cahill only pitched an inning last night. And only 3.1 IP between 7/19, 7/21, and 7/25. 

Seems a good candidate to try and eat up a few innings today, and maybe he can hold his own against Baltimore. I think I read Tropeano is due to pitch today or tomorrow for Baltimore, so I imagine he comes up in place of an optionable reliever.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Cahill only pitched an inning last night. And only 3.1 IP between 7/19, 7/21, and 7/25. 

Seems a good candidate to try and eat up a few innings today, and maybe he can hold his own against Baltimore. I think I read Tropeano is due to pitch today or tomorrow for Baltimore, so I imagine he comes up in place of an optionable reliever.

I’m going to assume Cahill is the starter today or tomorrow with Trop going the other game.  

Noe will probably get a bit of work tonight unless he isn't feeling well still, and if that's the case, probably best to just IL him now for a fresh arm.

Chasen Shreve, Ian Gibaut, Parker Markel (lol), Blake Parker, and Kyle Dowdy have all been DFAed in last two days, any of those guys might be traded/claimed and here just for a day or two before another DFA...

depending on how Noe is doing, we may put him on the 7 Il, send Anderson down (he's been struggling this 2nd half, era over 10). Bring up Peter's and Maybe Jc, swap Thaiss and Walsh. Expect to see Cahil go more than 2 inning these next few game, so offense better score. Jc and Cahil can each give us multiple innings. 

More than ever, they need to trade for a solid mid-rotation (even a #4) guy and sign Cole.   No more stop gaps as the ONLY rotation acquisitions!

They have the other pieces in place (solid hitting, solid defense, solid enough bullpen, solid enough farm).

None of the current starters is likely capable of exceeding 150 innings in 2020, and a few of them maybe not even in 2021. 

What could keep Arte from realizing that between NOW and the off-season is finally the time to go get those two DESPERATELY needed pitchers? 

35 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So we all knew that using the pen the way this team uses it, based on preference as well as ineffectiveness would eventually come back to bite us in the ass, well we are probably at that spot right now.  

This morning we used tonight’s starter so Canning won’t be available tonight or tomorrow, but maybe he can start on Sunday or Monday, maybe.  

Cam has pitched 3 days in a row.

Robles has pitched 4 games in a row.

Taylor Cole has pitched 3 games in a row.

Buttrey has pitched a lot.

Mejia has pitched in all four games since he was acquired and he pitched 3 innings of GREAT relief last night/this morning.

Noe has the flu.

Heaney is on the DL

We only have 3 starters on the roster basically.  

Because of our shuffle game we do with bringing guys up so often we are kind of at a cross roads, because it hasn’t been 10 days since we sent those guys down. Bard (who sucks) has only been down 8 days.  Jewel has been down 6 days.  To the best of my knowledge those are the only guys on the 40 man roster.  We can’t even call up Walsh because he has only been down for 5 days.  Couple this with us having to create a roster spot for JC Ramirez very soon.  I truly have no idea what the team is going to do to piece it together over the next several days.  

It would be a total dick move but I could see Mejia being released.  

Oh and this doesn’t include what we will be doing to fill the starting spot that Peters took and then was sent down.  

We are going to see some injuries, or some guys sent packing.  

Whoever pitches tonight is simply going to have to wear it and pitch 7-8 innings regardless of performance.  This is not a good place to be in.  

Should not have used Canning last night.

Tonight they'll probably start Cahill or Peters if they send a guy to the DL.

Bridwell started on Sunday for AAA, and Peters on Sunday for the Major League Club.

If say Noe Ramirez suddenly accepts his three game suspension they'll call up a reliever as well, but it might be someone like Adam McCreery. They can also grab a guy off the AAA or AA rosters if they need to, but will have to create space on the 40-man. The easiest way to do that is to put Tommy La Stella on the 60-Day IL. He's out for 8-10 weeks from July 2. That means he'd be eligible to come back on September 1st or 2nd. Which is about 8.5 weeks.

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I am pretty sure you don’t get to call up a guy when a guy is suspended.  I believe the team plays a man short

Are you sure? What about when a guy gets a long suspension, like the 80 game one? I think the team doesn't play short for those 80.

EDIT: You're right. It plays a man short. Drug suspensions are different.

Here are the pitchers at SLC.

Pitchers (click column headers to sort)
# Name Pos Bat Thw Ht Wt DOB Status MLB 40-man
10 Jason Alexander P R R 6' 3" 200 03-01-1993 Active No
  Miguel Almonte P R R 6' 1" 210 04-04-1993 7-day IL No
29 Matt Ball P R R 6' 5" 200 01-23-1995 Active No
37 Luke Bard P R R 6' 3" 200 11-13-1990 Active Yes
23 Parker Bridwell P R R 6' 4" 185 08-02-1991 Active No
33 Adrian De Horta P R R 6' 3" 185 03-13-1995 7-day IL No
7 Sam Freeman P R L 5' 11" 180 06-24-1987 Active No
25 Jake Jewell P R R 6' 3" 200 05-16-1993 Active Yes
15 Alex Klonowski P R R 6' 4" 195 04-01-1992 7-day IL No
11 Greg Mahle P L L 6' 2" 230 04-17-1993 7-day IL No
34 Adam McCreery P L L 6' 9" 250 12-31-1992 Active Yes
20 Dillon Peters P L L 5' 11" 190 08-31-1992 Active Yes
40 Jeremy Rhoades P R R 6' 4" 250 02-12-1993 Active No
16 Jose Rodriguez P R R 6' 2" 175 08-29-1995 Active No
28 Zac Ryan P R R 6' 1" 201 05-28-1994 Active No
30 Patrick Sandoval P L L 6' 3" 190 10-18-1996 Active No
43 Nick Tropeano P R R 6' 4" 205 08-27-1990 Active

Yes

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Ok, so it is the 15th inning, who do you pitch?  

If my memory still works,  back in the day managers would opt for a starter who was scheduled for a bullpen session the next day.  I have no idea who that would have been.

4 minutes ago, eligrba said:

If my memory still works,  back in the day managers would opt for a starter who was scheduled for a bullpen session the next day.  I have no idea who that would have been.

Since we have 3 starters, Barria, Suarez and Canning, I guess it had to be Canning.  

13 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Here are the pitchers at SLC.

Pitchers (click column headers to sort)
# Name Pos Bat Thw Ht Wt DOB Status MLB 40-man
10 Jason Alexander P R R 6' 3" 200 03-01-1993 Active No
  Miguel Almonte P R R 6' 1" 210 04-04-1993 7-day IL No
29 Matt Ball P R R 6' 5" 200 01-23-1995 Active No
37 Luke Bard P R R 6' 3" 200 11-13-1990 Active Yes
23 Parker Bridwell P R R 6' 4" 185 08-02-1991 Active No
33 Adrian De Horta P R R 6' 3" 185 03-13-1995 7-day IL No
7 Sam Freeman P R L 5' 11" 180 06-24-1987 Active No
25 Jake Jewell P R R 6' 3" 200 05-16-1993 Active Yes
15 Alex Klonowski P R R 6' 4" 195 04-01-1992 7-day IL No
11 Greg Mahle P L L 6' 2" 230 04-17-1993 7-day IL No
34 Adam McCreery P L L 6' 9" 250 12-31-1992 Active Yes
20 Dillon Peters P L L 5' 11" 190 08-31-1992 Active Yes
40 Jeremy Rhoades P R R 6' 4" 250 02-12-1993 Active No
16 Jose Rodriguez P R R 6' 2" 175 08-29-1995 Active No
28 Zac Ryan P R R 6' 1" 201 05-28-1994 Active No
30 Patrick Sandoval P L L 6' 3" 190 10-18-1996 Active No
43 Nick Tropeano P R R 6' 4" 205 08-27-1990 Active

Yes

So fo that list the only one that can be brought up without someone going on the Injured List is McCreery.  The others haven’t been down 10 days yet.