• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: David Fletcher gets a shot in Angels’ outfield

ANAHEIM — When Kole Calhoun crashed into the wall on Saturday, giving the Angels two injured outfielders, opportunity came for David Fletcher.

Calhoun was out of Sunday’s lineup, although he said he’s improved and was available to play, so Fletcher got his first major league start in left field. Brian Goodwin moved to right. Justin Upton will be out until at least June because of a toe injury from a collision with the wall.

Fletcher had played a few innings in the outfield last season, and he started a few games there in spring training.

“He’s still learning it,” Manager Brad Ausmus said of Fletcher in the outfield. “He hasn’t played a lot of outfield but he’s out there today. I feel like Fletch is one of those guys who’s probably good at just about anything he does. That being said it is relatively new for him.”

Fletcher was also batting ninth, a day after he had three hits batting in the leadoff spot.

Ausmus said he considered keeping Fletcher at the top of the order, but instead stuck with “the right-left thing.” Fletcher hits right-handed and Tommy La Stella, who hits left-handed, was at the top of the order against right-handed Shelby Miller.

In his career, Miller has allowed a .774 OPS against lefties, compared with .653 against righties. Fletcher and La Stella both have reverse splits in their careers, though. Fletcher has a .710 OPS against righties and .633 against lefties, while La Stella’s numbers are .769 against lefties and .693 against righties.

Asked if he puts more stock into the pitcher’s numbers or the hitters’ numbers when evaluating splits, Ausmus said: “I’m not going to get into the secret sauce. I think generally speaking having lefties face righties and righties face lefties — of course the player’s ability comes into play — but it works better for a lineup that way. Not always. Certainly you’d rather have Mike Trout in there against a lefty or righty, but it still has an impact over the course of a season, over the course of hundreds of at-bats.”

The Angels also still believe in La Stella’s career numbers, specifically his .342 on-base percentage, despite his slow start. He was 4 for 24 (.167) with two walks prior to Sunday’s game. After Fletcher’s three-hit Saturday, he was 8 for 24 (.333) with no walks.

UPTON WAITS

Upton, who is going to be out for two to three months with turf toe, said he was surprised to get such a serious diagnosis from a seemingly minor collision with the wall.

“I’ve hit the wall harder,” Upton said Sunday, his first time talking to reporters since the diagnosis. “I just hit it the right way that time.”

Upton said his toe actually hit the padding, not the concrete just below. However, he extended his toe in just the wrong way to sprain it.

Now, all he can do is wait about at least a couple more weeks before he can get out of the protective boot.

“I wasn’t happy about it, obviously,” he said. “There’s nothing I can really do about it at this point. I just have to take it and try to get better while I’m down.”

OHTANI UPDATE

Ausmus said Shohei Ohtani will remain in Anaheim when the Angels go on the road on Thursday. When Ohtani is going to progress to live pitching, he’ll need a pitcher. The Angels could bring a minor league pitcher to Anaheim if they don’t want to send Ohtani to Arizona, where they have dozens of minor league pitchers in extended spring training.

Ausmus also said Ohtani could probably be ready with “a little less than 50 to 60” at-bats, which is the normal total a hitter gets in spring training. Ohtani can get seven or eight at-bats a day in simulated games or extended spring training, while he can only get three or four in minor league games.

GRIFFIN CANNING WATCH

Griffin Canning made his 2019 debut at Triple-A on Saturday night, pitching five innings and allowing one unearned run. He struck out five and walked none. Canning, a product of UCLA and Santa Margarita Catholic High, is the Angels’ top pitching prospect, and likely to make his major league debut sometime this season.

View the full article

1 hour ago, floplag said:

This is the thesis of todays game... lead off  the guy hitting over 100 points lower because he is statistically more likely to get a walk over this career.  

Relying on contact only to get on base is not sustainable so eventually Fletcher will become a liability for leadoff. 

34 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Relying on contact only to get on base is not sustainable so eventually Fletcher will become a liability for leadoff. 

right now however, he isnt.   Look when that time comes, fine, swap em, but right now i just dont agree with it