• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Youngsters playing their way on/off 2019 opening day roster

Second Base

20 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Someone versatile would be fine, but not at the expense of quality.  I would far rather have someone that is less versatile but is just better.

I can't even begin to have any enthusiasm for another Valbuena type of situation where on paper he does what you need to fit the roster but on the field he stinks.

Versatility is going to be critical. They are going to have 13 pitchers often, because they have no inning-eating starters and the modern way to go is use a ton of relievers. 

Of the 12 position players, one plays no position (Ohtani). Two are catchers. 

Pujols, Simmons, Trout, Upton, Calhoun, Cozart. Fourth OF. 

Thats 10. You have 2 more. 

7 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I think Marwin Gonzalez fits the criteria the best.  He can play all over the field and turns 30 next March.  It's not a "sexy" sign by any means, but one I can see the Angels trying to do this off season.

He is a good player....but, I am kind of like @Dtwncbad , I'd like to sign a guy who can help this offense, even if he isn't versatile....Versatile got us Valbuena....

20 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Versatility is going to be critical. They are going to have 13 pitchers often, because they have no inning-eating starters and the modern way to go is use a ton of relievers. 

Yes let's walk this out mentally and find some clarity. . . 

Yes I see the problem.  Again.

How many different ways can we all reach the same conclusion that Albert Pujols needs to go away?

I expect Fletch to play 2nd and Cozart to play third next year. Put Fletch at leadoff and Cozart at #9.

But we really do need a true leadoff hitter. Is John Jay available? Calhoun is not a leadoff hitter, and never has been. He was a hot hand for a while, and that's probably why Sosh put him up there. He probably should have been hitting third behind Trout, when he got hot, and we would have had a lot more HRs with men on base from him. Thirteen bases empty HRs.

I think we got about a month and a half of good hitting from Kole this year. Kole has now hit below .255 in eight of his last twelve months. Five of those months were below .200. 

We will hurt for slugging with those other two, though, at 2nd and 3rd. Hopefully, having Ohtani hit more will offset this.

I like a platoon of Fernandez and Pujols at first. Give Fernandez as much playing time as possible at first, till the end of the year. If Fernandez starts against all RH starters, Alberts ABs go way down. And that's a good thing.

Same goes for Ward, in terms of ABs in Sept., but I think he starts 2019 in the minors. He wasn't as abysmal at fielding as I expected. But he needs work.

It's OK. It's not like Josh Donaldson isn't a free agent or anything. Having that one guy we can plug in at 3B means we can have Cozart play 2nd and JMF & Fletcher back up (JMF for 1B/2B and Fletcher for 2B/SS/3B). 

Or (if the rumors are true) get Arenado from the Rockies.

Just now, Mark68 said:

It's OK. It's not like Josh Donaldson isn't a free agent or anything. Having that one guy we can plug in at 3B means we can have Cozart play 2nd and JMF & Fletcher back up (JMF for 1B/2B and Fletcher for 2B/SS/3B). Or (if the rumors are true) get Arenado from the Rockies.

Or Moustakas maybe, particularly if his market is flat, again....

I like the idea of either Cozart or Fletch being the back up IF.  

A guy like Myers who can play both corner IF spots and Fletch or Cozart would make for a very solid IF.  For the OF spot, you need someone who can truly play all three OF spots...Even Myers can help out in the OF.  

This year, fully understanding what Ohtani will be limited to next year should be interesting.

8 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

....This year, fully understanding what Ohtani will be limited to next year should be interesting.

Pujols and his ego, do you go with versatility rather than a pure impact bat at 1b or 3b.....Eppler needs to have his juggling act down....going to be really interesting....

4 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I expect Fletch to play 2nd and Cozart to play third next year.....

Small sample size but Cozart seemed more comfortable at 2b....with a rebuilt shoulder, that might be a better spot for him than 3b.....You hate to move Fletcher off of 2b though, he was solid.....2b was the original plan for Cozart before Kinsler came on the radar and Moustakas and Boras took themselves out of the equation.....So, you would think Eppler liked him there....

51 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Small sample size but Cozart seemed more comfortable at 2b....with a rebuilt shoulder, that might be a better spot for him than 3b.....You hate to move Fletcher off of 2b though, he was solid.....2b was the original plan for Cozart before Kinsler came on the radar and Moustakas and Boras took themselves out of the equation.....So, you would think Eppler liked him there....

This...I think next year, we see Cozart at 2B, Fletch as the util sub and a new 3Bman in the mix.

12 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

This...I think next year, we see Cozart at 2B, Fletch as the util sub and a new 3Bman in the mix.

I think that is realistic but it all ties in with somebody to help Pujols at 1b....Rather than a straight up 3bman (Moustakas, Donaldson), a 3b/1b combo like Myers (see @Jeff Fletcher 's post) fits the roster better....Pujols is a drag on what we can do on several different levels--available money, building a roster around his limitations, etc. ....but, no real sense bitchin' and moanin'....it's part of the equation....

10 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think that is realistic but it all ties in with somebody to help Pujols at 1b....Rather than a straight up 3bman (Moustakas, Donaldson), a 3b/1b combo like Myers (see @Jeff Fletcher 's post) fits the roster better....Pujols is a drag on what we can do on several different levels--available money, building a roster around his limitations, etc. ....but, no real sense bitchin' and moanin'....it's part of the equation....

Agreed...I like the Myers train of thought.  

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

Cozier had surgery on his left shoulder. Not his throwing shoulder, according to Jeff Fletcher. I thought it was his right shoulder also.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Where is Cesar Tovar when you need him.

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

Cozier had surgery on his left shoulder. Not his throwing shoulder, according to Jeff Fletcher. I thought it was his right shoulder also.

I have left shoulder surgery in 3 weeks also (rotator cuff).....my career is safe....☺️