• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cowart

One thing you need to think about is in game roster construction.

Cowart is the only real backup middle infielder (Fernandez can’t really play much 2B.)

If Ward had Cowart’s spot today, when Simmons was scratched, then what?

So whose spot does Ward take? It kind of has to be Marte, and in that case Fernandez and Cowart are the only 1Bs. When Pujols is DH because Ohtani isn’t playing, that is almost always going to be against a lefty, so you really don’t want Fernandez to play. That’s sort of Marte’s niche. And Cowart then leaves you with a below average hitter who also hasn’t played much of the position defensively. 

Also Marte is out of options. Maybe nobody claims him and if someone does, maybe you don’t care, but you’re still giving away a whole player for what? So Ward can play 6-7 weeks instead of 4 weeks when the games pretty much don’t matter?

I thought Ward would be up after Valbuena got DFA’d, but since he’s not I’m guessing it’s for those reasons. On Sept 1, none of that is an issue anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Cowart is the only real backup middle infielder (Fernandez can’t really play much 2B.)

So whose spot does Ward take? It kind of has to be Marte, and in that case Fernandez and Cowart are the only 1Bs. When Pujols is DH because Ohtani isn’t playing, that is almost always going to be against a lefty, so you really don’t want Fernandez to play. That’s sort of Marte’s niche. And Cowart then leaves you with a below average hitter who also hasn’t played much of the position defensively. 

Also Marte is out of options. Maybe nobody claims him and if someone does, maybe you don’t care, but you’re still giving away a whole player for what? So Ward can play 6-7 weeks instead of 4 weeks when the games pretty much don’t matter?

I thought Ward would be up after Valbuena got DFA’d, but since he’s not I’m guessing it’s for those reasons. On Sept 1, none of that is an issue anymore. 

Great post. That makes sense.

Thanks Jeff.

8 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Great post. That makes sense.

Thanks Jeff.

No it wasn't a great post. It was more than stupid, it was irrelavant. Unless you are the same person with 2 computers.

At this point, unless the Angels FO has gone completely wacko, the games are absolutely meaningless. They could bring in Bedrock to play 2nd or short, if they had to, and it wouldn't mean anything.

Ward needs his mlb, PA's. He needs as many as possible. He needs them now.

3 minutes ago, Memories of 02 said:

No it wasn't a great post. It was more than stupid, it was irrelavant. Unless you are the same person with 2 computers.

At this point, unless the Angels FO has gone completely wacko, the games are absolutely meaningless. They could bring in Bedrock to play 2nd or short, if they had to, and it wouldn't mean anything.

And you need a valium. And probably a breath mint

18 minutes ago, Memories of 02 said:

A bit harsh, don't you think?  I agree with your opinion.  I'd like to see Ward get as much playing time as possible to develop and adjust to playing this game at it's highest level.  However,  at the end of the day, I'm just a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude.   

9 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Marte is a below average hitter so you lose nothing. Even with as little experience Cowart has at 2B, 1B, he still plays better defense at 2B than Johnny G did and at least as good at 1B as Marte. Marte is a poor defender no matter where he plays, and he can't hit.

Besides these games are already meaningless

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

43 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Marte is a below average hitter so you lose nothing. Even with as little experience Cowart has at 2B, 1B, he still plays better defense at 2B than Johnny G did and at least as good at 1B as Marte. Marte is a poor defender no matter where he plays, and he can't hit.

Besides these games are already meaningless

I suspect that these games have plenty of meaning.

2 hours ago, Memories of 02 said:

sad mr. mackey GIF by South Park

18 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

1B: Pujols / Fernandez / Cowart

2B: Fletcher /  Cowart / Fernandez

3B: Ward / Cowart / Fletcher

SS: Simmons / Fletcher / Cowart

DH: Ohtani / Pujols

Marte is hitting .205 vs. lefties, in 83 AB's. It's not like he's killing it. I'd be fine with Fernandez (0-3 vs. lefties) in the rare case that Pujols is DH-ing and Ohtani is off.

FYI Ohtani, is hitting .175 against lefties, so it's not like Marte is that much better. I mean better, but not that much. Cowart also doesn't hit well against lefties.

Pujols is hitting .198 against lefties.

This team needs to hit lefties better.

4 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Sure I was referring to winning because it would make a difference in respect to going to post season. Also pride is no reason we can't see our prospects before the season is over.

I wouldnt mind seeing our prospect.  I assume that will be promoted when front office thinks it's best to do so.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:29 PM, Memories of 02 said:

The can't miss number 1.for so long.

The speed, that cannon arm, that beautiful swing. had the scouts  falling  all over themselves, gushing.

It just hasn't happened.

With Ward, the Angels number one pick of 2015, having torn up both the Southern League, and the PCL, this year with almost eerie, consistency, and within a hare's breath of stepping on stage, in the show, has the time arrived to give up on Kaleb?

On 8/12/2018 at 10:41 PM, Taylor said:

I'd like to hear @EnglishCop's take on this.

On 8/12/2018 at 11:11 PM, Lou said:

I, think he may, have an, issue or two with, some of the punct,uation.

Just a , hunch on my, part.

I see no issues with the post from Memories of Kindergarten.