• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

57 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Anyone know why Aaron Hernandez and Kyle Bradish haven't been given minor league assignments yet? I thought these guys were going to advance quickly.

Other college draftees have already played quite a bit: Ben Morrison, Andrew Wantz, Jake Lee, Austin Warren.

Wantz has struck out 26 batters in 11.2 IP.

Bradish already threw 101 innings this year.  

Hernandez has thrown 83 and I think was a little bit of a project.  He also sat out 2017.  

So my guess is workload and development.  They're likely working on some stuff at xspring.  

The other guys you mentioned have thrown the following this year:

Morrison 36ip, Wantz 55ip, Lee 75 ip, Warren 51ip.  

Of all the minor leaguers currently in our system, it wouldn't surprise me if Rengifo ended up the best major leaguer of all.  

I think the odds are that Adell ends up the best, but I could see them both being special players.  

He doesn't have the elite speed of Jose Reyes but his plate discipline is better.  And I do think he'll hit double digit hrs.  

Notes from last night...

• As @rafibomb mentioned, great night for Rengifo, 3-4 with 3 runs, a triple, 2 RBI, and a walk. 
  • Hermosillo went 2-4 with a double and a couple RBIs
  • Ward went 0-3, but still drew 2 walks
  • Jared Walsh with his first big AAA game, 2-4 with 2 doubles, 2 RBI, a BB and a K - in 5 AAA games, .294/.333/.471/.804 1 BB, 3 K
  • Eric Young Jr. (remember him!?) went 3-5, and is slashing .294/.358/.441/.799 in 286 ABs with 27 XBH, 31 walks, and 59 strikeouts - solid year for a great dude
  • Brennon Lund, second half (23 G, 96 AB): .292/.361/.531/.892 with 13 XBH, 8 walks, 17 K, and 4-4 in SB attempts - he and Herm will be great 4th OF depth next year
  • Jose Rojas with a quiet night, but two more walks, a career high in roughly half the at-bats
  • Joe Gatto's last three AA starts: 16.2 IP, 14 hits, 0 HR allowed, 6 walks, 13 strikeouts, 3.24 ERA, .222 BAA, 1.20 WHIP
  • Franklin Torres (21, IF, R/R) went 2-4 in first game at IE. At Burlington, he slashed .285/.381/.382 with 44 walks to 60 K, 12-13 in SB attempts, .985 FP%
  • Austin Warren ('18 6th Rd., 22 RHP) pitching well in Burlington - 8.2 IP, 4 walks, 10 K, .226 BAA, 3.12 ERA
  • Ice cold last 10 games: Leonardo Rivas (.243), Torii Hunter (.139), Orlando Martinez (.108)
  • Kiki Menendez still hitting well, with HR #5 in 16 pro games at AZL/Orem. 23 year old UDFA.
  • @Dochalo covered the AZL game above!

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Of all the minor leaguers currently in our system, it wouldn't surprise me if Rengifo ended up the best major leaguer of all.  

I think the odds are that Adell ends up the best, but I could see them both being special players.  

He doesn't have the elite speed of Jose Reyes but his plate discipline is better.  And I do think he'll hit double digit hrs.  

I know that Rengifo has only played 5 games in AAA, but talk about a model of consistency this season across three levels. If Barria taught us anything last season jumping three levels with success at each stop, Rengifo looks like he may be as sure of a bet as any.  

IMG_20180717_101851.jpg

I think I've been the most skeptical of Rengifo so far.  But I'm officially convinced now.  This is him simply taking his game to another level.  He's hitting his "lottery" which is something only a couple from each system typically do per year. 

But just look at how many Angels prospects have raised their prospect stock this year.  Adell, Canning, Marsh, Suarez, Rengifo, Ward, Thaiss, Walsh, Rojas, Torres....

Now compare that with those whose stock has dropped this year....

Jahmai Jones, Chris Rodriguez, Jesus Castillo. 

It's been a good year to be a fan of Angel prospects. 

38 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know that Rengifo has only played 5 games in AAA, but talk about a model of consistency this season across three levels. If Barria taught us anything last season jumping three levels with success at each stop, Rengifo looks like he may be as sure of a bet as any.  

IMG_20180717_101851.jpg

The runs scored and SBs stand out.   Shows that he runs the bases well, albeit occasional flubs.   He also seems to be an XBHs guy.   And of course the OBP is stellar.  Future leadoff guy, ala Figgy?

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Are we worried about Canning? Or is he merely adjusting to a new level in a league that strongly favors hitters?

Adjusting and a tough pitching league. 
Also highly doubtful he was always going to be working with an ERA in the mid 1's :)

The peripherals still aren't terrible and he's had a few decent starts. I think it's a reflection on how close he is to the bigs more than anything - he was too advanced for A+ or even AA and probably could have started the year in AAA if he pitched with us last year. 

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

Is Cesar Hernandez a good comp for Rengifo? 

I think so, yes. He's one of those guys who does a lot of little things well, but nothing that stands out as super flashy (this is where the Jose Reyes comp doesn't quite work). I could see Rengifo hitting .290/.380/.430 with 30-10-10 2b-3b-HR, and 40 SB in the majors.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think so, yes. He's one of those guys who does a lot of little things well, but nothing that stands out as super flashy (this is where the Jose Reyes comp doesn't quite work). I could see Rengifo hitting .290/.380/.430 with 30-10-10 2b-3b-HR, and 40 SB in the majors.

That would be the best leadoff hitter we've had since Trout was a rookie, and before that since Figgins in 2009 which is almost 10 years ago. Would be a much needed break for the Angels if the return for Cron turned into a player like that. 

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, he's got about the same amount of pop (10-13 HR, but tons of doubles/triples due to his compact swing that packs a punch), same with the on base ability. I think where Rengifo has Hernandez is his overall speed and ability to steal a bag. Something Hernandez isn't the best at. The most SB Hernandez has had in a full season is 19, 3 years ago. Back in 2013 he stole 33 bags in the minors. Rengifo has 36 with over a month and a half to play still. He had 34 last season, so it's not a fluke. 

26 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Is Cesar Hernandez a good comp for Rengifo? 

I think the OBP matches up well, hoping Rengifo can hit for more power than him and swipe more bases

Probably a best case scenario. 

Maicer seems like a likelier outcome - averaged .279/.342/.387/.729, OPS+ of 97 as an Angel, Luis perhaps a touch less power and a bit more speed. 
Something like 25-30 doubles, 5 triples, 5 homers, 20-25 steals, and a nearly even BB:K ratio around 50-60. 

Curious to think about what the 'three true outcome' phenomenon does with players like Rengifo - players with his profile are a little rare these days.