• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Canning 4.2ip, 1h, 0er, 1bb, 4k.  dominant.  6 weak ground ball outs.  1 ball hit hard for a double.   never in trouble.  pulled after 70 pitches as that's been his limit all year.  

First batter of the game got him for 11 pitches.  pretty efficient after that.  still got a fair amount of swing and miss even though he didn't k a ton of guys.  

he's gonna start getting bored.  

He's given up 7 hits and 1 er in his last 28 innings.  Season era between A+/AA is 1.20

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Canning 4.2ip, 1h, 0er, 1bb, 4k.  dominant.  6 weak ground ball outs.  1 ball hit hard for a double.   never in trouble.  pulled after 70 pitches as that's been his limit all year.  

First batter of the game got him for 11 pitches.  pretty efficient after that.  still got a fair amount of swing and miss even though he didn't k a ton of guys.  

he's gonna start getting bored.  

He's given up 7 hits and 1 er in his last 28 innings.  Season era between A+/AA is 1.20

He's starting to look video game level ridiculous....   He's kept the opposing team scoreless in 5 out of his last 6 starts and 7 of 10 total starts this season.    

Edited by Inside Pitch

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Do they have thoughts of upping his pitch limit to 80 soon?

Those are mind boggling numbers, along with the weak contact.

i have to think they are eyeing a spot for him on the major league roster.  To me, it's not about if, but when and in what capacity.  No sense in pushing his pitch limit for AA in June.  Save it for Anaheim in September (or August.  or July)

Just now, Dochalo said:

i have to think they are eyeing a spot for him on the major league roster.  To me, it's not about if, but when and in what capacity.  No sense in pushing his pitch limit for AA in June.  Save it for Anaheim in September (or August.  or July)

It really does look like they've told him to go out there and just let it rip and not to worry about going deep into games.   Personally, I like it.

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Walsh hammers another ball to the LCF gap for an oppo double.  He's a bit old for level, but it seems he's turned a corner.  Doubled his BB rate and ISO this year.  

Just as importantly, he's the type of prospect some team will take a chance on for a decent rental.

The guys I'll be keeping an eye on (at least in the box score) from the DSL are...

1. Raider Uceta - Mammoth BP power as I understand. Absolutely Built with a capital B for a 16/17 year old child. Plays corner OF but a move to 1B is definitely in the table in the future.

2. Rainier Rivas - 6'3" 200 lbs at age 16. Power hitter with natural loft.

3. Jose Reyes - Projectable frame. Advanced hitter.

All of them outfielders. 

Of note, an important development here is that three prospects in particular appear as if they'll be skipping the DSL.

1. OF Trent Deveaux - Given the glowing reports, that's expected.

2. OF D'Shawn Knowles - Another major international signing from last year.

3. OF Orlando Martinez - Signed out of Cuba, the second best hitter from their 18U team behind Luis Robert. Now 20 years old, supposedly has a plus bat with moderate pop and speed.

Gosh....we have a lot of outfield prospects.

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

After last night, I think the rental idea needs to take a back seat.

This team looks like a non-post-season team.   No spark!

Ideally I'd like to hang onto as many prospects as we can this year.  I don't see us as a World Series contender this season.  The cavalry is coming, and we aren't far away, but I don't want to be one of those teams that jumps the shark and trades prospects before their team has truly "arrived."

Let the kids develop this year, start infusing some of them on the big league roster (JMF, Fletcher, Thaiss, Ward), see what we have in them, then re-formulate a plan this offseason based on what we're seeing.

12 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Ideally I'd like to hang onto as many prospects as we can this year.  I don't see us as a World Series contender this season.  The cavalry is coming, and we aren't far away, but I don't want to be one of those teams that jumps the shark and trades prospects before their team has truly "arrived."

Let the kids develop this year, start infusing some of them on the big league roster (JMF, Fletcher, Thaiss, Ward), see what we have in them, then re-formulate a plan this offseason based on what we're seeing.

I’m ok trading prospects but not premium ones for perceived rentals.   I highly doubt we will ever regret trading what’s his name for Upton or what’s his name for Kinsler.  So if you can trade minor league projects for major league talent, if they are someone you want long term, go for it.  

1 minute ago, The Boogie Man said:

I’m ok trading prospects but not premium ones for perceived rentals.   I highly doubt we will ever regret trading what’s his name for Upton or what’s his name for Kinsler.  So if you can trade minor league projects for major league talent, if they are someone you want long term, go for it.  

This is a good point, and I'm okay with trading prospects that we don't really see as part of our future moving forward.

I mentioned this in the bullpen thread, but the one spot I'd be okay trading some prospects now would be to get a legitimate closer on a long-term contract.  The prospect cost would be considerable, but our bullpen is the one spot I don't think we have much on the horizon in terms of hope.  

Just now, Warfarin said:

This is a good point, and I'm okay with trading prospects that we don't really see as part of our future moving forward.

I mentioned this in the bullpen thread, but the one spot I'd be okay trading some prospects now would be to get a legitimate closer on a long-term contract.  The prospect cost would be considerable, but our bullpen is the one spot I don't think we have much on the horizon in terms of hope.  

Yea, I read the bullpen one and I think a guy like Hand is someone that Eppler would love to bring on board this year and going forward.  That being said, the cost would hurt us, when I say us, I mostly mean AngelsWin.  If we thought the price was high for Street, we will lose our shit over the cost of a 28 year old closer that an ERA under 2 and a WHIP around 1, that strikes out a dozen per 9.  Oh, not to mention, he isn’t a free agent until 2022.  He is the perfect target, except he is going to cost you Adell or Canning.

6 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Yea, I read the bullpen one and I think a guy like Hand is someone that Eppler would love to bring on board this year and going forward.  That being said, the cost would hurt us, when I say us, I mostly mean AngelsWin.  If we thought the price was high for Street, we will lose our shit over the cost of a 28 year old closer that an ERA under 2 and a WHIP around 1, that strikes out a dozen per 9.  Oh, not to mention, he isn’t a free agent until 2022.  He is the perfect target, except he is going to cost you Adell or Canning.

If the cost is one of Adell or Canning, then I'm guessing Billy will respectfully decline and move along.  I would love to have Hand, but not at that kind of cost.  Alternatively, we could always attempt to sign Herrera in the offseason, as we'll certainly have some cap space to play with, with Kinsler, Valbuena, Johnson, etc likely to leave as FAs.  Herrera isn't on the same level as Hand IMO, but he'd certainly provide some back-end stability.