• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Dude looks like a stud.  Still has to continue to work on his command, but the stuff is undeniable.  They're managing his innings and pitch county closely (typically around 75-80 pitches per game).  He could be an option for us out of the pen if September.  Who knows?  He could be a key contributor for us in October out of the pen.

I think, especially after the Middleton news, the chances of either or even both Canning and Suarez appearing in a spot start or relief work in September bumped up to about 5-10%. Canning might have just upped it another 5%.

Working for Suarez is he’d be another lefty to balance with Alvarez (and probably one of Krol or Lamb) and I think he’s Rule V eligible, so he’s likely being added end of season anyways. Canning may just be forcing his way into it.

40 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think, especially after the Middleton news, the chances of either or even both Canning and Suarez appearing in a spot start or relief work in September bumped up to about 5-10%. Canning might have just upped it another 5%.

Working for Suarez is he’d be another lefty to balance with Alvarez (and probably one of Krol or Lamb) and I think he’s Rule V eligible, so he’s likely being added end of season anyways. Canning may just be forcing his way into it.

You are correct sir, Suarez is indeed rule V eligible after this offseason, so we might as well add him to the 40-man roster come September anyway.  He could be an interesting relief option for us as well.  

Would be pretty neat if both Canning and Suarez debuted as relievers this year, then took over in the rotation sometime in 2019.

A fair comp for Canning could be who the Angels are facing tonight in Lance McCullers Jr. Similar fastball with a TON of movement, very good curve and slider. Canning's change up is much better, but McCullers has a good sinker to make up for it. 

If Canning has a career like McCullers so far, the Angels would be in very good shape, particularly if Richards comes back. 1-2-3 of Ohtani, Richards and Canning gives us a great playoff rotation.

Just noticed that Johnny Giovotella is playing for the White Sox AA team. Did he fall off that bad or is he coming back from an injury? I don't recall him playing for a major league club after he was let go in '15. 

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Mobile with a combined no-no.  

Canning 4.1ip, 2bb, 8k

Mahle 1.2ip, 3k

Almeida 1.2ip, 3bb, 1k

Ryan Clark 1.1ip, 2bb, 1k.  

That's the second time Canning has started a combined no-hitter for Mobile.  He's getting pretty good at that!

3 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

Just noticed that Johnny Giovotella is playing for the White Sox AA team. Did he fall off that bad or is he coming back from an injury? I don't recall him playing for a major league club after he was let go in '15. 

it's probably because he's not all that great.  He was on the Halos cuz we had no one else.  

29 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

Ward 2-4 with a 3 run HR. Raised his OPS to 1.019

Thaiss 4-5. Raised his OPS to .842

Ward's definitely becoming more of an intriguing prospect.  I have not heard much about his defense at third.  I'm sure he's got the arm for it, but curious to see what the reports are on his range, instincts, etc.

The improved power production is certainly promising as well.

21 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

We already have an ideal #2. 

Best #2 in baseball, in fact. ;)

I am not super optimistic on Thasis, especially in terms of our current team construction.  Pujols is here for up to 3.5 more years, and with Ohtani on this team, we need versatility, not 1B only-type players.  This is a big reason as to why Cron was jettisoned in favor of Marte.

Think there's a pretty decent chance we see Thasis used as a trade chip.

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Jared Walsh is another guy with really good power that's old for level but doing very well.  hit 2hr today so far (11).  Lhed 1bman.  Can play a little OF.  

Between 2017 and 2018 at IE

AB 399 Avg .313 HR 19 2B 35 OBP .387 SLG .554 OPS .941

He's not going to take playing time away from Thaiss at 1B, but like you said he can play a little OF (38 Games in RF). Maybe they should call him up and throw him in one of the corner OF spots.

1 minute ago, vladdy#27 said:

Between 2017 and 2018 at IE

AB 399 Avg .313 HR 19 2B 35 OBP .387 SLG .554 OPS .941

He's not going to take playing time away from Thaiss at 1B, but like you said he can play a little OF (38 Games in RF). Maybe they should call him up and throw him in one of the corner OF spots.

His power production has been cool to see, but he needs to reign in the K's.  He's old for the league and producing a near 30% K-rate - not very good.

On 4/6/2018 at 6:03 PM, Angelsjunky said:

I think we’ll see Canning in September at the latest, and a fixture in the rotation by 2019. Same with Barria. Pretty soon the Angels are going to have 7 or 8 guys who are #3s or better.

Canning leads Mobile to second no-hitter

Angels' No. 7 prospect has started both no-hitters

https://www.mlb.com/angels/news/canning-leads-mobile-to-second-no-hitter/c-276781936

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

A fair comp for Canning could be who the Angels are facing tonight in Lance McCullers Jr. Similar fastball with a TON of movement, very good curve and slider. Canning's change up is much better, but McCullers has a good sinker to make up for it. 

If Canning has a career like McCullers so far, the Angels would be in very good shape, particularly if Richards comes back. 1-2-3 of Ohtani, Richards and Canning gives us a great playoff rotation.

Right-handed Tyler Anderson

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I sometimes wonder if our #2 hitter would be better at #3. If Kinsler AND Cozart were hitting well.

Maybe, but I seem to recall that a study was done that you should put your best hitter at #2, perhaps because it is the sweet-spot between as many PA as possible and RBI opportunities. 

I still dream of a high OBP to put in front of Trout. Rivas/Rengifo might be just the ticket.

Speaking of Jose Rojas, may be worth keeping an eye on the other Vanguard product in the system...

Brandon Sandoval posted a very solid .332/.388/.443/.831 slash last season in RK/A/A+ with 18 XBH, 8 steals, and a nice 22 BB : 44 K across 282 plate appearances. 

He's picked up right where he left off this year in Inland Empire. Through 112 plate appearances, he's slashing .357/.414/.418/.833 with 5 XBH, 8 steals, and 10 walks to 17 strikeouts.