• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

On 5/8/2018 at 12:47 PM, Dochalo said:

I think Cowart is what he is at this point.  

A guy that probably starts on a rebuilding team 

He's not valuable in trade, but he's a nice depth player to have stashed in AAA.  He probably deserves more of a shot, but he's just not good enough to hand one for a club that has playoff aspirations.  

He's a very good base runner.  An excellent 3b defender, solid at 2b, and serviceable at SS.  It's really hard to say whether his bad would be good enough over the course of an entire mlb season and he's never really been give that chance.  Granted, he hasn't exactly made the most of his small opportunities.  But if the halos believed in him, that wouldn't matter.  

So for some reason, they don't.  

the obvious big opportunity for him would seem to be next year. they could move cozart to second and play cowar at third.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Yup.  We got the "better end" of the deal, but the Braves did well too, as they traded a player that didn't further their cause at the time (they were in the midst of a rebuild) in exchange for a future linchpin in their rotation.  As I said, the best deals are those that work out for both sides.  If we somehow made trades in which we completely crushed the other team every single time, I imagine other teams would pick up on this and become wary of making trades with us.  It's good when it works out for all involved.

We won on the immediate impact of the team.  Which is what we were looking for.  Braves may very well win in the long term benefit of their team.  Which is exactly what they were looking for 

12 minutes ago, stormngt said:

We won on the immediate impact of the team.  Which is what we were looking for.  Braves may very well win in the long term benefit of their team.  Which is exactly what they were looking for 

It'll be really difficult for the Braves to win this one long term.

4 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

It'll be really difficult for the Braves to win this one long term.

Yup, Simmons has as much WAR in his first 35 games this year alone as Newcomb has in almost a season's worth of starts. 

Newcomb would've been nice, but he still wouldn't have positively impacted the MLB team much the last two seasons - we're in it to win it during the Trout Years and Simmons helps in a big way.

12 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

It's a little easier because he makes less than Simmons, but Newcomb will have to basically pitch like prime Weaver for ATL to get close on this trade. 

Newcombe becomes a legit front end starter and Simmons doesn't age well.  It's possible, but we are getting what we wanted and that's an impact SS immediately.  So it could be a win win for both teams.  Doesn't matter wins the trade or not.  We were getting what we wanted immediately.

It's pretty unlikely, but don't forget the other pieces of the Simmons trade. Atlanta only has Newcomb left from that deal, whereas the Halos have 25-year old catch Jose Briceno in AAA, throwing out 41% of runners (career 42%) and slashing .257/.260/.486/.746 with 5 homers. 

He figures to at least be neck-and-neck with Graterol for replacing Perez on the depth chart.

@Scotty@AW

Dude....   I know you have your sources within the organization.. we need you to do some digging.   

Across the board we are seeing a lot of guys make some serious strides developmentally -- not so much referring to guys adding some ticks to their velo or any of the tools sort of thing but in the way they actually play and perform..   You need to ask your boys what has changed development wise... because something has changed or the Angels are just suddenly extremely lucky...  Its sorta goofy seeing how many different players are showing rapid improvement..

WTF is up...

Fletcher is really growing on me, although I'm not quite sold on him being more than an average regular/very good utility player. But I look forward to seeing him with the big club at some point this year.

With Fletcher, Fernandez, Jones, Rivas, and Rengifo, the Angels have some nice options for the infield, although obviously not all of them will remain Angels. 

13 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Fletcher is really growing on me, although I'm not quite sold on him being more than an average regular/very good utility player. But I look forward to seeing him with the big club at some point this year.

With Fletcher, Fernandez, Jones, Rivas, and Rengifo, the Angels have some nice options for the infield, although obviously not all of them will remain Angels. 

Even if Fletcher ends up being just an average second baseman, that’d be a HUGE win for us, because we’d have our second base hole plugged up with a guy on a rookie contract.  We could then  spend on other areas of need.

37 minutes ago, HaloSpurs said:

Lots of cool things in that Mobile game.  Ward with another 3 hits (including a HR).  Thasis with 3 hits (2 2Bs + a HR).  Castillo with a pretty good game on the mound.  

I wonder if Ward keeps his OPS above 1000 heading into June, if he'll get called up to AAA fairly shortly thereafter.  I suppose it depends on how his defense at 3B looks - haven't heard much so far.

Rojas with 8 rbi in 15 games before tonight.  7 rbi almost doubles his total.  Regardless of his age, what he's doing at the plate is fairly impressive.  

Taylor Ward starting to leave the yard with more frequency.  

Thaiss now with 14 xbh in 31 games and 136 pa.  bb rate down.  ISO up.  

14 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Nice article on Deveaux and Soriano( towards the bottom)  

image.png.08ab474c91531fda80c3bdff01b8b762.png

Yeah, the reports on Deveaux and Soriano are quite promising.  Obviously they are very far away, but I am a believer in our developmental team.  Definitely will be interesting to see how they do once the AZL league starts up in June.

Baldoquin was 2/5 with a 3b (4).  Haven't watched him this year yet.  I have totally written him off but maybe Scotty is right and he'll progress into a util inf.   If he ends up at AA soon and does well enough, he's still only 24 so that wouldn't be out of line.  

Pretty excited about what Rengifo has been doing.  .874 ops (133 wRC+) with a 22/19 bb/k ratio in 145 PA.  He just turned 21.  Oh and he's tied for 2nd in all of the minors with 18 sb (cs 6).  He's also spent his time primarily at SS.   

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Baldoquin was 2/5 with a 3b (4).  Haven't watched him this year yet.  I have totally written him off but maybe Scotty is right and he'll progress into a util inf.   If he ends up at AA soon and does well enough, he's still only 24 so that wouldn't be out of line.  

Pretty excited about what Rengifo has been doing.  .874 ops (133 wRC+) with a 22/19 bb/k ratio in 145 PA.  He just turned 21.  Oh and he's tied for 2nd in all of the minors with 18 sb (cs 6).  He's also spent his time primarily at SS.   

Any idea how Rengifo looks defensively?  Can he stick at SS?