• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

GPS/Navigation vs. Apple CarPlay/Google Maps

My lease is up on the work vehicle, so time to shop for a new one. I was trying to save a few dollars this time, and thought about not getting the Navigation System. I am not familiar with Apple CarPlay, but it looks like I can use the IMaps, or Google Maps from my phone to work thru the car's display screen. Has anyone used this enough to be able to give an opinion?  I understand that if I lose cellular service, my phone nav might not work.

Thoughts?

I never used the car navigation when I had it, always just used the phone, was a lot easier to punch in the address. Personal preference, I always got annoyed with trying to get the destination correct.

With Google maps on your phone you can download map areas if you know you are going where there is no service and it will still work as your phone should include gps capabilities. I do this all the time when doing location scouting. I'll use google maps on my pc to flag areas of interest and then if I'm driving on backroads I can still locate them, even if they are small country or dirt roads.

With most newer models, they are usually Google Auto, Apple Car Play compatible.  Definitely easier because both keep their maps up to date.  As red said, it's easy to download maps, if you are worried about service dropout.   I do that for areas I go hiking in, since those areas don't have cell service but I can get a GPS signal.  And the good thing with using those two is you get live traffic conditions.  

I think most car companies are realizing that their nav systems just can't keep up with the two.  But their infotainment systems are still useful rear camera stuff, and speakers and hands free options on the steering wheel.