• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gubicza on check swings

Dtwncbad

Small things should not bother me, admittedly.

But Gubicza on every check swing talks about whether or not the bat crosses the plate as the determination for if it is a swing or not.

There is no such rule.  It is entirely, 100% a judgment call by the umpire as to whether the batter "strikes at" the ball.

I would just think Gubicza would be educated enough, given the nature of his job, to note this rather than focusing on the actual LOCATION of the bat.

It would be like Gubicza explaining that a pitched ball didn't hit a batter so the umpire can't throw out the pitcher for throwing at the batter.  That would be stupid right?

The bottom line is does the umpire think the guy swung or not.  That's it.

I've heard announcers spout this "rule" of the bat breaking the plate so many times; I thought it actually was the rule. The MLB rule book is huge, and there is not a clear definition of what a "swing" is versus a "Check swing". That is absurd. Just put it in the rule book that the bat has to cross the plate and make it official. I don't think Gubi should be called out for this though, I've heard this from a ton of different announcers. 

23 minutes ago, Bobster7587 said:

I've heard announcers spout this "rule" of the bat breaking the plate so many times; I thought it actually was the rule. The MLB rule book is huge, and there is not a clear definition of what a "swing" is versus a "Check swing". That is absurd. Just put it in the rule book that the bat has to cross the plate and make it official. I don't think Gubi should be called out for this though, I've heard this from a ton of different announcers. 

why would they make it a rule?  It would just create another thing for umps to get wrong.  #ULM

I think the umpires often use the foul line as a reference in determining whether the bat crossed the plate on a check swing.

Bottom line, trying to check your swing is a bad idea..... Swing the fucking bat or do not......

The point is umpires are allowed to use ANY measurement they want or no measurement and just call it like they see it.  That is a fact.

So the point is when Gubicza focuses on the bat crossing or not crossing the plate to make the determination, he is wrong.  He has no idea how that particular umpire decides.

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He pitched in the majors for 14 seasons. He knows what the umpires call or don't.

Don't count on it.  Remember Reggie Jackson on the air fully committed to the "fact" that as a baserunner you never make the first or second out at third base?  He played longer than 14 years.

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I don't like Gubi because he ear fucks the hell out of the audience but simply you have no stance on this that is as credible as his.

Uh, other than I acknowledge the actual rule and he pretends there is a rule that doesnt exist.

All he would have to say is something like, "From my experience a rule of thumb is a good portion of umpires watch for if the bat crosses the plate. But what is interesting is that is not a real, actual rule. It's literally a judgement call."

I am not off base expecting simple clarity like that instead of pretending (or being ignorant that) there is a rule that doesnt exist.

I don't really care if he played 60 yrs in the bigs.  There is nothing wrong with noticing he is wrong about the rule.

1 minute ago, 70runner said:

His check swing discourse is considerably less irritating than his incessant, monotone "analysis" in between Rojas play by play.   The mute button was likely invented by someone listening to Goober.

I agree.  If we really want to measure him I will say this as well.

I don't think he has any understanding of basic geometry.  What am I talking about?  Gubicza will be watching a replay of a play like on a ball fair or foul and he will get excited that what is on the screen is visual proof, yet the angle will be from a standpoint that it is literally impossible to determine fair or foul.