Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

IGNORED

Stanton Clears Waivers


totdprods

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

And he can be yours for the low, low price of everything you got of value plus $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Not necessarily - I think the acquiring team could have him pretty cheaply if they took a vast majority of the contract. 
If the Marlins eat any substantial amount of money, yeah, it's gonna cost some talent.

I cautiously lean towards approving of a potential Stanton deal.
The money/cost will be significant one way or another, but he's still young, and checks off several needs at once - LF, power, 'star-power' (which I think will be a legit variable as Trout/Pujols' contracts near their end) and he'd be coming back to his home turf. 

He'd be a very expensive 'band-aid' to offset Pujols basically, but production-wise, he'd accomplish it. He has that much power.
We'd just need an emergence of cheap, young offensive production to offset Stanton. And likely cheap, young pitching production as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Not necessarily - I think the acquiring team could have him pretty cheaply if they took a vast majority of the contract. 
If the Marlins eat any substantial amount of money, yeah, it's gonna cost some talent.

I cautiously lean towards approving of a potential Stanton deal.
The money/cost will be significant one way or another, but he's still young, and checks off several needs at once - LF, power, 'star-power' (which I think will be a legit variable as Trout/Pujols' contracts near their end) and he'd be coming back to his home turf. 

He'd be a very expensive 'band-aid' to offset Pujols basically, but production-wise, he'd accomplish it. He has that much power.
We'd just need an emergence of cheap, young offensive production to offset Stanton. And likely cheap, young pitching production as well. 

Marlin have a new owner, and Jeter will be the managing executive. The price tag $1.3 billion. They probably will keep him now.

Sherman, a wealthy venture capitalist who has a home in New York and is building a home in South Florida, will be the "control person," similar to a managing general partner.

But Jeter, the former New York Yankees star shortstop, will run the business and baseball sides of the organization, the source said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are other reasons of course, but I think one reason we haven't seen major money or years thrown around recently is there's an intent to eventually add another 'big splash'. For the record, I think this is both Arte and Eppler's doing. I think Eppler has more input and influence than we've come to expect and Arte has learned to sit back and let his baseball guys do their thing-- and in the process, also learned to shut up and not go to the media as often. So, when we accuse Arte for not spending, I think Eppler has a hand in that as well. 

But I can't believe that the Angels won't open up the checkbook again - and I can't believe that a GM like Eppler isn't intending to make a 'big splash' via FA at some point early in their career. Coming from an org like the Yankees only adds to that belief. 

We've also seen that Arte always places a value on marketable players - whether it's truly valuable or not. We're only a few seasons away from seeing potentially our two 'stars' (eventually three when the world comes around on Simmons) walk via FA/retirement and Arte's best way to avoid any major scrutiny will be having another star player still in the fold. Looking at the immediate future, Machado and Harper are the only real bankable 'stars' set to hit FA soon, and while both have immense talent, both come with a bit of baggage and have shown glimpses of attitude/maturity issues, and after Hamilton, I'm sure that offers a bit of pause. Neither have the power of Stanton - Harper is close, but Stanton's ISO/SLG numbers through 24 are still above that of Harper.

I think it's just a matter of time we commit a huge chunk of money to another player - and it's not necessarily my opinion or dream scenario (because I like more of the mid-tier approach) - but it feels likely, and Stanton makes quite a bit of sense in that regard.

We have several interesting offensive prospects on the horizon, but few with any elite power tools - Stanton fills the void, our farm and current players fills the other offensive needs. 

If we were to make a big splash, I think adding Stanton now (or this winter) would be my choice over Harper and Machado.
My two cents at least. Also fine avoiding the big splashes and rounding out the team creatively and with mid-tier commitments at most.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity said that Miami Marlins president David Samson has said that there is a $1.6 billion "handshake agreement" for the MLB team. Jeffrey Loria paid $158 million for the baseball team in 2002.Feb 9, 2017
 
That one hell of a return on investment.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

If the Marlins are worth $1.3B, what are the Angels worth?

At the beginning of the year Forbes has us valued at $1.7B however they only had the Marlins valued at $940M

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/58cc474f31358e1a35ad373d/8-los-angeles-angels-of-a/#204418c44c20

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/58cc474f31358e1a35ad373d/25-miami-marlins/#465a02d7de72

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Pujols went to management and said my last season is in 2018 in an effort to trade for Stanton and take on the $$$ and to have enough to extend Mike Trout, then yes I believe we could do this.

Otherwise no chance IMHO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:
Two sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity said that Miami Marlins president David Samson has said that there is a $1.6 billion "handshake agreement" for the MLB team. Jeffrey Loria paid $158 million for the baseball team in 2002.Feb 9, 2017
 
That one hell of a return on investment.

but he's not a good businessman 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may be the only one that's hesitant to bring him here. If he was a Trout/Harper/Arrenado/Goldschmidt-type player I would jump on it. To me, he's just a slugger who has monster power, and if he sustains an injury that saps his power his value is toast.  I just feel we'll be in the same boat as we are currently with Pujols a few years down the line.

Maybe I'm undervaluing his game, but what else does he do well? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Marlin have a new owner, and Jeter will be the managing executive. The price tag $1.3 billion. They probably will keep him now.

Sherman, a wealthy venture capitalist who has a home in New York and is building a home in South Florida, will be the "control person," similar to a managing general partner.

But Jeter, the former New York Yankees star shortstop, will run the business and baseball sides of the organization, the source said.

They definitely have the money to keep Stanton still, no question. It's more of a question on how they want to improve the team. 
Do they want to clear as much money as possible? Stanton's $300m contract eats up a quarter of that $1.3b value. 
Some moderate spending and prospect return could give them a fringey competitive team immediately with a more manageable payroll. 

Do they want to build around Stanton right now? They don't have a great farm, have a fairly bloated payroll, and are averaging only 19k a game now. 
They don't have a lot they can do to immediately get an exciting, profitable team. They have Stanton under contract forever though so they don't have to build around him now 

Or do they want to start a rebuild a la the White Sox, and trade away everything possible for prospects?

If they want to begin their rebuild by playing with money immediately, dealing Stanton away to an acquiring team eating a lot of salary gives the Angels a legit shot.
If that's not the direction they want to go, the Angels have virtually no shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

I may be the only one that's hesitant to bring him here. If he was a Trout/Harper/Arrenado/Goldschmidt-type player I would jump on it. To me, he's just a slugger who has monster power, and if he sustains an injury that saps his power his value is toast.  I just feel we'll be in the same boat as we are currently with Pujols a few years down the line.

Maybe I'm undervaluing his game, but what else does he do well? 

He's only 27, so there's potential he has another bump in offensive production. 
He's cut his strikeout % down to 23.8% this year (career 28.5% before this season)
He walks at a better than league average rate (11.5% this season, 11.7% in his career, league average 8.1%)

He's always going to be a HR-first guy, but if he is entering a prime where he averages something like .275/.350/.600 (and he could exceed all of those) that's a hell of a bat to have for the next five or six seasons to back up Trout, Pujols, etc.

My biggest draw to him is he's been steady offensively for a very long time, he's still young, attitude/character-wise he seems like an ideal teammate, and he seems far less risky than someone like Machado or Harper having attitude issues, having back and forth seasons, having LH power sapped in Anaheim, costing even more than Stanton, etc. and while power is no doubt his premiere tool, it's something we really, really need in the org.

The Angels are 15th of 15 in AL slugging this year.
Kaleb Cowart had the most HRs of any Angels minor leaguer - 12. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

In 2025, yes 2025, he'll be making $32M.  Two years later, $25M ?

That's TEN years from now. By then, your young child will be in high school or college. 

Ten years from now, $32m may be the norm for All-Star level players. 
No guarantee of course that Stanton will be at that level at that age, and he'll surely be overpaid, but ten years from now that money may be like what $22m feels like now.

Jason Giambi was the highest paid player 10 years ago, at $23m in '07.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Hell Arte could go all in again. Trade for Stanton, extend Trout and with Eppler's eye for talent we could win a World Series, or two. Then if I were him, I'd bounce and sell the team before all of those old-age/past-prime contracts come back to haunt him. 

We really don't know what Arte/Eppler's payroll plans are. If they've been putting emphasis on going year-to-year with payroll and finding cheap, controllable players with the intent to add one major contract in there, then it makes a lot of sense. 

If they're in agreement that big contracts are a bloated failure of MLB years-past and soon to be relic (save for the truly elite players) than we may not see a big splash for a long, long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...