• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels 2009 Draft

Very insightful article with Eddie Bane's thought process.   We potentially could have had Nolan Arenado that year too.

Inside The Draft Room: The 2009 Angels

By Chuck Wasserstrom | April 26, 2017 at 1:51pm CDT

The way things are shaping up, the 2009 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim draft would have to be considered a good one even if the 25th pick belonged to somebody else. When three starting pitchers (including two southpaws) and a power-hitting position player reach and produce at the major league level, it makes for a nice haul.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/04/inside-the-draft-room-the-2009-angels.html

42 minutes ago, LooneyPlatoons said:

Very insightful article with Eddie Bane's thought process.   We potentially could have had Nolan Arenado that year too.

The way things are shaping up, the 2009 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim draft would have to be considered a good one even if the 25th pick belonged to somebody else. When three starting pitchers (including two southpaws) and a power-hitting position player reach and produce at the major league level, it makes for a nice haul.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/04/inside-the-draft-room-the-2009-angels.html

We used to have Eddie Bane on regularly in the past (2006-2010). 

Your post just reminded me to create an archival post on our new website. 

It's up and here to check out. Some really good nuggets in these past chats and interviews. 

http://thesportsdaily.com/angels-win/the-eddie-bane-archives-2006-2010/

1 hour ago, LooneyPlatoons said:

Fun article, thanks for the link!

Great read, thanks. 

Loved this part from Bane:

“About 10-to-12 days after the draft, Jeff (Trout) either got ahold of me or (Morhardt) and said ‘Will you get this kid out of my house? He’s driving me crazy.’ I reminded him, ‘The number is slot,’ and he said ‘That’s good. Let’s go.’

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

If you noticed, particularly regarding Butcher and Kotchman, it seemed like Bane was throwing a little shade towards Angels management. I could be wrong but it sure did sound like it.

Shade by virtue of complimenting them?   He certainly seemed to hold them both in high esteem.   Unfortunately for everyone in the scouting department prior to 2012 -- they weren't smart enough to survive the purge.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Shade by virtue of complimenting them?

"... and Mike Butcher – our outstanding big league pitching coach – was there." - considering this interview is well after the fact of both of their departures, the fact that he emphasized how great Mike was sort of conflicts with the fact that the Angels got rid of him (more specifically Dipoto). It just read to me like Bane was making a specific point about Butcher (and I would say a large percentage of AW'ers may agree that Butcher needed to go). Again perhaps I'm reading more into it than is there. He did the same later regarding Kotchman "he drafts and signs big leaguers". Wasn't he one of our Minor League team coaches at that time? It was only after Dipoto came on that they moved him? Perhaps I'm forgetting my history here.