• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire RHP Brooks Pounders

totdprods

Pounders jumps up to #13 on MLB.com's Angels Top 30 Prospects list. Eppler's contributions (draftees/acquisitions) already make up 40% of that Top 30.

Eppler has added 7 names to that list by simple waiver claims, one minor league free agent, and by dealing only Santiago, Smith,and Ruxer, and he's added another 5 names on top of that from last year's draft. Guys like Marte, Ramirez, Guerra, Ortega, Choi, Wright, Fontana, and Sanchez aren't far removed from some of those guys either.

He's progressing well on checking off the 'rebuilding the farm' task. All we've really lost from the farm is Newcomb, Ellis, and Alcantara.

This is a pretty nice deal for the Angels. Ruxer has better stuff and could probably be a useful reliever some day but Pounders fills a need right now: starting pitching depth. Looks like he has a good low-mid 90's sinker with a sharp, average slider and a usable curveball and change up. Command lags behind but he throws enough strikes to be useful. I'd expect him to be one of the many AAA pitchers the team uses this year and he profiles better than the bad pitchers the team used for many innings last year(Lincecum, Huff, Weaver). If things don't go as planned for Pounders, he's at least an intriguing relief option with a sinker/slider combo that could play up in shorter stints. 

Now, the rotation depth in the minors looks to be Smith, Pounders, Banuelos, Wright, Scribner, Campos, O'Grady, McGowin. Not awe inspiring but certainly an interesting collection of arms. 

On 12/1/2016 at 4:03 PM, totdprods said:

Tony Sanchez, Grant Green, Jared Mitchell, Randal Grichuk, Mike Trout, Garret Richards, Kentrail Davis, Tyler Skaggs, Tyler Kehrer, Brooks Pounders. All of these guys were taken in the first two rounds of the 2009 draft, and all have played in the Angels system now. 10 of the first 60 players chosen.

Doesn't mean anything, just a random fact.

One of those names is not like the others.

38 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

If Pounders can cut his 4.3 HR9 we are in business. 

He has a great HR9 in the minors - 0.7 career. In fact, last time he had a HR9 over 1 was in A Ball back in '11.

The guys that homered off him are guys you'd expect to hit HRs too - Cano, Dozier, Kinsler, Moreland, Semien, and Lind.

48 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He has a great HR9 in the minors - 0.7 career. In fact, last time he had a HR9 over 1 was in A Ball back in '11.

The guys that homered off him are guys you'd expect to hit HRs too - Cano, Dozier, Kinsler, Moreland, Semien, and Lind.

I'm just messin but it certainly looks like he has great stuff but definitely needs more ML experience. I'm sure he'll do fine. Young arms are what we need.

15 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

I'm just messin but it certainly looks like he has great stuff but definitely needs more ML experience. I'm sure he'll do fine. Young arms are what we need.

For sure. I'm pretty happy with that trade. He has potential to be a really useful piece for awhile.