• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What would we get if we do decide to sell

So we know some of the guys that would bring back a little value if we decide to scrap this team; Street, Escobar, Calhoun, and to a lesser degree Soto and Smith. 

What at do you guys think we could get in return? 

Smith probably brings back a prospect struggling in AA but has potential. Like when we got Rasmus from the Braves. Escobar could bring back a decent prospect or two from a team like the Royals. I have no idea what we could get for Street. This would be the best way to stockpile our system this year and next and get after it again in 2018 when we will have a healthy Richards and Heaney, Trout in his prime, hopefully Calhoun if he isn't traded, and Thaiss hopefully ready to contribute. 

It it could be a much quicker rebuild than it initially seemed like, especially with a very strong draft this year. (From the looks of it) 

Thoughts? 

Agree with you on Smith. Street probably brings back one top 100 prospect and another two or so in a club's top 15, which would be in the ballpark of the package we gave up to get him (even though those prospects all tanked). Escobar would likely get us a team's top 10 prospect, from a farm system of decent quality. Soto and Nava would bring back slightly less than that, probably in both cases one high risk but strong upside prospect (assuming both are healthy and performing before the deadline). Wilson could maybe do the same if he could come back and pitch okay.

The big one for me though is Calhoun. This is a very good time to be selling an outfielder as there won't be many on the market in July. He is a good player under club control for a long time so he will bring back a pretty big package, whether it is one really good prospect or a few pretty good ones. I don't think we should definitely trade Calhoun this year but we should explore the option and take the deal if it is good enough.

Hopefully (but probably not) Lincecum and Chacin will pitch well enough that we can flip them for a prospect too.

I don't know why anyone keeps mentioning Nava as being a trade piece to sell. If he was released or a free agent this summer, he'd be minor league depth at best to any team.

It's really hard to say at this point as to what level of selling the Angels will undergo. If Richards and Heaney show some signs of life before the deadline, it may behoove the team to hang onto guys like Escobar and Street and keep hopes for 2017 alive. If things are looking grim and like they'll require TJS, then the team should probably punt '17 completely, trade off as many pieces as they can, and stock up with MLB-ready prospects and sign a couple low-tier vets this offseason - guys like Pennington, Soto, Gentry. 

I really think the Angels went into this past offseason with low expectations for this season. They signed cheap vets on short deals in the hopes that if everything went their way, they'd compete, and if they struggled, they'd have some depth to work with and try to stay in contention for as long as they could, but were ultimately prepared to have a soft reboot of the team. Save draft picks, get a vet or two to flip at the deadline, and acquire some unheralded AAA talent that'd have a chance to flourish in the short-term in the way guys like Tropeano and Giavotella have. Players like Marte, Choi, Guerra, Petit.

If Richards and Heaney both go under the knife, and we suffer any additional major injuries, I'd seriously consider bringing up Calhoun in talks so long as we get back at least two top prospects. Suck enough to get a protected pick, sign Josh Reddick to replace Calhoun, and forge ahead. 

We probably need Nava to come back and have a reasonably strong month to show some trade value. But if he puts up a .720 OPS or better over a few weeks he will bring back something. Nothing spectacular, but something. There are many teams with OF/DH weaknesses and not that many players on the market.

I'm no huge Nava fan either, all I'm saying is that if he comes back and plays okay before the deadline we will get something for him. The list of OF types likely to be available on the trade market is terrible. But there is doubt as to whether he can come back healthy, given it looks like he is made of glass, and to whether he can hit well enough if he does. Hopefully he can.

Smith, Salas, and Street are fairly known quantities.  Smith might need to have some good outings to prove he's not done.  But they probably get what they get regardless and it ain't gonna be much for Smith or Salas.  Probably a fringy AA guy who's a little too old for his level.  Street might get one halfway decent prospect but his situation is a bit more tricky in that he's owed money, wants to close, and isn't young.  Escobar might get you more than you gave up.  Perhaps a solid AA/AAA OFer.  probably not someone in the top 100 though.  Chacin isn't worth much right now.  Santiago a little more than nothing.    Nava has no value.  

There is maybe 1 decent prospect and a bunch of filler or 'potential future reliever' type players from the pool we have.  

I think you're undervaluing Street, Doc. His contract isn't unreasonable and there will be enough teams looking for relief help that should ensure he would bring back a pretty strong package. Obviously nowhere near as strong as if we sold Calhoun but moving Street would be a really good starting point.

If you are selling Calhoun, then you're selling anyone but Trout.  I just don't think it's time for that unless you are getting back a kings ransom for Cal.  Think about where he'd fit though.  Boston maybe?  I think I'd literally throw up, aspirate and die.  

Boston has a lot to offer though. I hate it too and I'm a big fan of Kole and am really impressed at how much he's improved this year, but those are also the same reasons why he makes sense as our top trade piece. 

I do agree that things need to look a little darker for me to be willing to part. If this team hadn't been hampered by injuries, I think they'd still be in the mix, and much of this team can be back next year. 

But for me, if Richards and Heaney do need surgery, that pushes me further towards dealing Kole. Moreso if we have any other major injuries, especially pitching (Trop or Skaggs), and if we start seeing major regression in guys like Shoe, Bedrosian, Perez, Cron. 

We're relying heavily on those names next season, and if they can't prove they can cut it over the next month, a Calhoun trade may be the only way to really reboot the process in a timeline that matches up with building a competitive team for Trout's last years.

The Indians would be a good fit for Calhoun. The White Sox too, if they decide they are still in it. Some of the best fits are avenues we might not want to go down though, such as the Dodgers or Astros. The Red Sox are another good option. There are enough teams looking for outfield help and  so few good options on the market that Calhoun would bring back a lot.

If Calhoun brings back a top hitting and pitching prospect, which I think is definitely possible from a contending team with a deep farm. Or a good young MLB arm and maybe a hitting prospect a little further away.

During the offseason I had wondered if he'd be able to pry away someone like Bauer or Matz but not sure either team would part with them at this point.

I'd still hold onto Simmons. It's much more difficult replacing a SS than it is an OF, he's still very young, and he's got a good contract. Him and Calhoun are too different for me to lump them together. I'd have to be blown away by an offer. 

Simmons D will be way too beneficially to a developing pitching staff, and we seem to have put an emphasis on pitchers who pitch to contact, so it'd mesh well with what's already in the farm.

9 hours ago, nate said:

IMO everyone on the team is available except Trout and Calhoun.  If they can bring back a good pitching prospect, do it!

Pujols should on that list, not because he is too good to trade but because with his age, diminished talent, outrageous contract, and mostly because no team will want him. You couldn't give him away unless you ate his contract the way Arte ate Hamilton's contract. So you might as well take the HRs and RBIs he will give us and live with it.