• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Bad Baserunning

TroutField

Just saw a graphic from MLB network that shows the worst baserunning teams in baseball based on outs made on the base paths. No surprise, our halos are 2nd worst one out behind the Rays, with 55. Guess we all just don't overreact, they are really that bad and constantl make bad decisions.

It's disappointing, but you know, even if someone doesn't make the first or third out at third base, or get gunned down by 30 feet trying to score, it's not like the next hitter was going to knock em in anyway.  We suck just at bad at RISP as we do at taking the extra base.  It's not being overly aggressive if you're basically relying on the error or praying the next out will at least be productive.

Most outs on the bases doesn't necessarily mean worst baserunning. You'd need to see the percentage and what the situations were when they made the outs.

I have a feeling they are much more middle of the pack of you look at in terms of percentage

You're definitely right about that, Jeff. It would be interesting to see more detailed statistics. 

Does fan graphs have stats broken down like that?

For some things, probably. But I can't imagine how one could measure very specific baserunning situations.

I'm actually in an advanced statistics graduate course right now (for computer science), and I'm trying to find a good topic to do my final project on–maybe this will fit the bill. 

For some things, probably. But I can't imagine how one could measure very specific baserunning situations.

I'm actually in an advanced statistics graduate course right now (for computer science), and I'm trying to find a good topic to do my final project on–maybe this will fit the bill.

That's cool I never realized they have classes like that but it makes sense. What kind of school offers classes like that? Edited by AngelintheTroutfield

That's cool I never realized they have classes like that but it makes sense. Where kind of school offers classes like that?

Yeah, it's an incredible class. I'm actually getting a M.S. in Computer Science at DePaul University.

The class focuses on data analysis & regression using SAS (an advanced program to analyze data) and R (a programming language for analyzing data). I recommend every statistician here to utilize R as it's very easy to learn, useful, and free. 

Northside Chicago is fun in the summertime!

I wish my campus was there. My campus is in the Loop (i.e downtown chicago).

Are you familiar with the city, Homebrewer?

Edited by failos