• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

IE Angels Express canceled for opening night.

oh ok. That's cool. I was thinking you were in the IE since you seemed bummed about this news. Was going to say if you were close by, and we happened to be going to the same game, i could help you out with a ride.

Thanks very much. I appreciate that! When I heard the news I wasn't sure if this also affected the OC line because I kept reading IE/OC.

No, the Angels Express leaves 30 minutes after the last out or at 11:30, whichever comes first. The last train of the night is an Amtrak at 11:15 or so, aside from that. So even if a 7 o'clock game ends up going four hours, you're going to get a train.

They're generally pretty good about making sure people don't get stranded. There was one time last season where the train had an issue and wasn't going to get there. The Metrolink people went up and down the platforms to find out where everyone was going, and then they arranged for all of us to take the next Amtrak free of charge. And the Amtrak did the local stops that are usually skipped so everyone could get home.

I've never understood the aversion to mass transit. The Angels Express is smart, there's no traffic and you can drink at the game.

That sounds reasonable.  Is that just for Angels games or for Ducks games too?

it's not an aversion, Surfer. It's the fact that mass transit in socal just sucks

Sad but true. I will say that from what I've seen of OCTA, it must be really hard to live in the OC without a car. I think LA in particular is working on this, though. They're putting in a bunch of new rail lines and a lot of events/attractions now have special transit services. I've been able to get just about everywhere---Disneyland, the Hollywood Bowl, the county fairs, etc, without much difficulty because they all have shuttles or special train service.

That sounds reasonable.  Is that just for Angels games or for Ducks games too?

Just for the Angels. If you were going to a Ducks game you'd probably be able to get there on one of the commuter Metrolink trains but you'd have to go back on Amtrak. If there were an Angels game the same night you *could* ostensibly still do the Angels Express. Since the outbound train departure is linked to the last out, though, you'd have to keep an eye on the Angels game in real time so you'd know when to get back to the station. The conductors check for your train ticket, but they don't ask to see your *game* tickets.

Same holds true for a show at the Grove, I guess, if it were happening the same night as an Angels game - you could go there on the AE and keep an eye on the game so you would know when to head back to the station.

The Dalai Lama is doing an event at the Honda Center in July and it will be interesting to see if they set up any sort of express service for that. I hope so. Metrolink service on the weekend for the OC really sucks. Otherwise, at least it's at noon, and Amtrak runs all day, so that will work.

Just for the Angels. If you were going to a Ducks game you'd probably be able to get there on one of the commuter Metrolink trains but you'd have to go back on Amtrak. If there were an Angels game the same night you *could* ostensibly still do the Angels Express. Since the outbound train departure is linked to the last out, though, you'd have to keep an eye on the Angels game in real time so you'd know when to get back to the station. The conductors check for your train ticket, but they don't ask to see your *game* tickets.

Same holds true for a show at the Grove, I guess, if it were happening the same night as an Angels game - you could go there on the AE and keep an eye on the game so you would know when to head back to the station.

The Dalai Lama is doing an event at the Honda Center in July and it will be interesting to see if they set up any sort of express service for that. I hope so. Metrolink service on the weekend for the OC really sucks. Otherwise, at least it's at noon, and Amtrak runs all day, so that will work.

Sounds like this method of transportation is only convenient for Angel games.  I dont think I would ever trust it in any other situation because it could close and id end up getting stuck.

Edited by QuinlansMinion

Sounds like this method of transportation is only convenient for Angel games.  I dont think I would ever trust it in any other situation because it could close and id end up getting stuck.

I wouldn't rely on the night trains if they weren't the Angels Express, no. And I wouldn't rely on the Angels Express unless I were going to an Angels game, personally, since it's really engineered just for that. I think they have a geunine interest in getting people to use mass transit more, so they want to make sure the AE is as convenient and reliable as possible.

Having said that, Amtrak is always reliable too, in my experience. There's no AE on the weekend and Metrolink only runs a few trains to the OC, but there are a lot of Amtrak trains all day long, so I use that to get back to LA from weekend games