• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can you imagine if we....

Chuck

kept Trumbo, signed one or two of Matt Garza (who I was in favor of signing) and/or Phil Hughes?

Trumbo offensively got off to a nice start clubbing home runs, but then went into his usual slump where he can't even hit the broadside of a barn. Then ultimately got hurt. 

Trumbo has been just marginally better than Ibanez, with a few more home runs and two more RBI. 

Garza: 4.75 ERA

Hughes: 5.14 ERA

Getting Skaggs alone for Trumbo was enough, but Hector Santiago despite a few tough outings with command, has kept us in 4 of his 5 starts, including two really good starts. He hasn't been any worse than Garza/Hughes and cost a lot less than both of them.

If Trumbo could be more selective and let some of those bad pitches go by, his batting average would improve. I think he likes to let it go and hit bombs, however.

The high fastball is his weakness.

In any event, his contribution to Arizona will be irrelevant unless they can improve their pitching.

I think if Matt Garza had accepted our offer in early December we still would have traded Trumbo and acquired Skaggs and Santiago.

That trade and non-signing has certainly broke well for Dipoto and the team. It was the right choice in the end despite my admiration for Trumbo's character and ability to power the ball out the park.

kept Trumbo, signed one or two of Matt Garza (who I was in favor of signing) and/or Phil Hughes?

Trumbo offensively got off to a nice start clubbing home runs, but then went into his usual slump where he can't even hit the broadside of a barn. Then ultimately got hurt. 

Trumbo has been just marginally better than Ibanez, with a few more home runs and two more RBI. 

Garza: 4.75 ERA

Hughes: 5.14 ERA

Getting Skaggs alone for Trumbo was enough, but Hector Santiago despite a few tough outings with command, has kept us in 4 of his 5 starts, including two really good starts. He hasn't been any worse than Garza/Hughes and cost a lot less than both of them.

Hughes' ERA is pretty misleading, he had some really bad defense behind him early on.  I watched that 10-9 game they had vs the CWS, they had a pinball sequence in the OF around the 5th inning where catchable balls turned into a 2B and a 3B resulting in 3 runs.   Anyway his FIP is 3.40 -- his K rate is up, his walk rate is at a career low, his HR/9 is down too.  His  BABIP is .353 -- about 55 points higher than normal but again, his defense has been pretty iffy.   At 8 mil per for 3 years he was dirt cheap.   Hughes or Hudson who was the other guy I was hoping we might have gone after would made this team better.

Hard to ague with how the rotation has done Ibut this team would be sitting pretty with Hughes as our 5 and Santiago as the swing man IMO.  Not really saying I'd prefer Hughes to what we have but it would be nice to have high quality depth in case of injuries.

I do agree with you that less has resulted in more, I think it would be even truer had we passed on Ibanez and just used Green as the DH.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I would bet Trumbo did more damage swinging @ balls up in the zone then he ever did down and away. I would cringe when he  would swing first pitch outside..... cause the next 2 would be  in the same spot........he just couldn't help himself. I loved Marks monster power, but we got a lot for him

Thanks AZ :)

Dipoto actually did a decent job this off-season. There's a couple things that people have mentioned about a billion times already (that he didn't take care of), but I think letting Richards continue to start goes under-the-radar to some.

That kid is just nasty and has 4 to 5 pitches. His 4 seamer might be his worst pitch and it's still decent. Everyone on the Yankees was guessing the first time or two up.

Santiago I think will be alright and I haven't seen enough of Skaggs.

Hughes' ERA is pretty misleading, he had some really bad defense behind him early on.  I watched that 10-9 game they had vs the CWS, they had a pinball sequence in the OF around the 5th inning where catchable balls turned into a 2B and a 3B resulting in 3 runs.   Anyway his FIP is 3.40 -- his K rate is up, his walk rate is at a career low, his HR/9 is down too.  His  BABIP is .353 -- about 55 points higher than normal but again, his defense has been pretty iffy.   At 8 mil per for 3 years he was dirt cheap.   Hughes or Hudson who was the other guy I was hoping we might have gone after would made this team better.

Hard to ague with how the rotation has done IMO but this team would be sitting pretty with Hughes as our 5 and Santiago as the swing man IMO.  Not really saying I'd prefer Hughes to what we have but it would be nice to have high quality depth in case of injuries.

I do agree with you that less has resulted in more, I think it would be even truer had we passed on Ibanez and just used Green as the DH.

agreed. Hughes is actually pretty good.

Hard to ague with how the rotation has done Ibut this team would be sitting pretty with Hughes as our 5 and Santiago as the swing man IMO.  Not really saying I'd prefer Hughes to what we have but it would be nice to have high quality depth in case of injuries.

I was at this Hughes start against the A's.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN201404090.shtml

Check out that first inning. He was getting booed ... by Twins fans.

I was at this Hughes start against the A's.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN201404090.shtml

Check out that first inning. He was getting booed ... by Twins fans.

I watched Jered Weaver give up 4 HRs to the Astros.  I saw CJ Wilson give up 6 runs to the Seattle Mariners.   Bad games happen, he gave up 4 first inning runs then nothing, one hit -- doesn't change he's pitched better than his ERA this year.

Edited by Inside Pitch

agreed. Hughes is actually pretty good.

Until Phil Hughes does something good over the course of a full season, he's mediocre. I'm glad we didn't sign him. He's Joe Blanton-Lite with a higher strikeout rate. 

I watched Jered Weaver give up 4 HRs to the Astros.   Bad games happen, he gave up 4 first inning runs then nothing, one hit -- still doesn't change he's pitched better than his ERA.

Get over your fascination with Hughes, IP. :)

He's a #4 on an average team at best. His tools wow you, but the bottom line is he's not a big game pitcher and he's painfully inconsistent. 

Get over your fascination with Hughes, IP. :)

He's a #4 on an average team at best. His tools wow you, but the bottom line is he's not a big game pitcher and he's painfully inconsistent. 

You need to get over your fascination with raw ERA.  :)

I didn't want him to be our four -- I wanted him to be our five.  You wanted to give Wilson money to Garza.  My opinions of players don't change based on whether or not the guy is on the Angels - I think Hughes will end up being a great signing for the money spent on him. 

BTW, I'm pretty sure I said I was cool with how things turned out.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Until Phil Hughes does something good over the course of a full season, he's mediocre. I'm glad we didn't sign him. He's Joe Blanton-Lite with a higher strikeout rate. 

Blanton might have had an 8 era if he pitched in AL East parks 75% of the time.

All those parks are driven towards offense, so I'll give Hughes a bit of a break.

I'm not saying he'll make the All Star team or anything, but his era should be around 4 at the end of the season.

You need to get over your fascination with raw ERA.  :)

I didn't want him to be our four -- I wanted him to be our five.  You wanted to give Wilson money to Garza.  My opinions of players don't change based on whether or not the guy is on the Angels - I think Hughes will end up being a great signing for the money spent on him. 

BTW, I'm pretty sure I said I was cool with how things turned out.  

My bad, I thought you wanted Hughes to be our #3. I was fine with Garza because of his track record and stuff. 

I still think Garza ends up with an ERA under 4 and gets a good share of punchouts.