• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Long

Docwaukee

We love both Matt's in Salt Lake AND Efren Navarro - and fans don't understand why they haven't been given an opportunity despite performing well and being "home grown" - none were/are considered prospects.... Instead, Dipoto, et al bring in free agents and their home boys...

Hope they get an opportunity with another club as their time with the Angels must be coming to a close. Best of luck - find an organization that will appreciate them, and beat the heck out of the Angels when they face them.

We love both Matt's in Salt Lake AND Efren Navarro - and fans don't understand why they haven't been given an opportunity despite performing well and being "home grown" - none were/are considered prospects.... Instead, Dipoto, et al bring in free agents and their home boys...

Hope they get an opportunity with another club as their time with the Angels must be coming to a close. Best of luck - find an organization that will appreciate them, and beat the heck out of the Angels when they face them.

This seems to be the feeling among many Angels minor league fans/players' families. Interesting.

This seems to be the feeling among many Angels minor league fans/players' families. Interesting.

Looking at it objectively, you have to admit that Matt Long deserves a September call-up and maybe a shot to win a starting job next year; he's hit at every level. And at 26 he's more than paid his dues.

Why the organization is so enamored with Shuck is beyond me. He hits for an empty average and is atrocious in the field. Yeah, I know he made that nice catch a few weeks ago, but he really is quite bad out there. And the metrics agree with me.

Edited by Toby Ziegler

I know that he's not really considered a prospect, but he's had a pretty nice minor league career so far.  Great discipline, good speed, decent pop.  Can he defend?  If so, seems like he might be a better 4th OF option than Shuck. 

If you've ever seen him throw... he has a cannon of an arm....and with good speed I think he is a very capable defender in the games I've seen him in SL.

Edited by TEvans

Shuck and Cowgill. Long isnt even on the 40-man, neither is Navarro, Shoemaker. Might as well move Pujols to the 60 day DL.

Stange is still on the 40-man as well.  He could go. 

Might as well take advantage of this season an see what you've got with a few guys. 

Navarro, Shoemaker, Long and Berg are all good guys that deserve a shot somewhere.  Navarro is a minor league free agent after this season (will sign elsewhere), Shoemaker after next season (likewise) and Long and Berg after 2015.  It appears if you were a very low draft pick, Navarro and Long, or NDFAs, Shoemaker and Berg, this organization has no place for you regardless how you perform.  No money invested in any of these guys.  I wish they all could get traded to get that opportunity. 

Navarro, Shoemaker, Long and Berg are all good guys that deserve a shot somewhere.  Navarro is a minor league free agent after this season (will sign elsewhere), Shoemaker after next season (likewise) and Long and Berg after 2015.  It appears if you were a very low draft pick, Navarro and Long, or NDFAs, Shoemaker and Berg, this organization has no place for you regardless how you perform.  No money invested in any of these guys.  I wish they all could get traded to get that opportunity. 

Which is exactly why I want Zach out of the organization. Very nearly happened at the trade deadline, too. I won't go into specifics, but to my knowledge at least one team did ask for him in a trade.

Maybe Dipoto should refer to a namesake of a current AA pitcher, Mike Piazza circa 1993.   

He was drafted ONLY as a favor to Lasorda in the 62nd round in the 1980s.  

But did the Raviners give him that chance?  

I'll let current WWE star Daniel Bryan answer that question.

YES!   YES!   YES!      

Get your head out of your rear, Dippy Dipoto, and give the chance to those who earned it, and NOT just to your favorites!

Maybe both anal retentive Scioscia and Dippy Dipoto should be given the heave ho. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Maybe Dipoto should refer to a namesake of a current AA pitcher, Mike Piazza circa 1993.   

He was drafted ONLY as a favor to Lasorda in the 62nd round in the 1980s.  

But did the Raviners give him that chance?  

I'll let current WWE star Daniel Bryan answer that question.

YES!   YES!   YES!      

Get your head out of your rear, Dippy Dipoto, and give the chance to those who earned it, and NOT just to your favorites!

Maybe both anal retentive Scioscia and Dippy Dipoto should be given the heave ho. 

Why is everything always about Double D's with you? :D

I'd be a lot more intrigued by Long if he played more 2B, because his skill set would jump a bit more from that position.  But as it stands, 26 year olds with PCL inflated numbers are on par with 22 year olds with Cal League inflated numbers.  We can argue till we're blue in the face but ultimately every organization has a guy just like that and most will serve as depth fodder.  Still beats most 9-5 jobs.  Play as a long as you can.     

Literally had nothing to do with Zach.  And I'm pretty sure you just personally attacked me.  Mods? 

Literally had nothing to do with Zach, huh?

Maybe you didn't see the part of your post that I put in bold. That's okay. Here it is again. 

But as it stands, 26 year olds with PCL inflated numbers are on par with 22 year olds with Cal League inflated numbers.  

Yes, I'm sure you weren't talking about Zach at all here...

I've lost track of how many times you've personally attacked Zach and me. Only a hypocrite would cry foul when he gets the same treatment. If you can't take it, then don't dish it out.

Mod edit:  Toby, you need to stop the name calling.  I've asked you to stop once before.

Scotty, I'm guessing you were taking a dig at Zach, but that doesn't excuse the two posts from Toby.

Edited by mtangelsfan

LOL at calling for the mods. Grow up, you were digging at Zach as you have for awhile now. Toby may go a bit far at times but at the same time he is stoked for his bro and wants to see him rewarded, as he should. 

As for this organization not respecting some of their players, I find that a bit hard to believe. Matt will get a chance next year as we will trade some of our OF depth I am sure. This will also give Zach an opportunity to possibly play a half season at AA and AAA. 

Again Toby, I LIKE Zach, I've compared him to a starting OF in the major leagues and have already said he's ranked in my top 20.  In fact, from everyone I've talked to, he's a good teammate and a focused ball player.

It's the personal attacks toward me I don't particularly like.

Anyway, back to Matt Long, who we were supposed to be talking about this whole time.  I liked his profile as a 2B.  I saw him practicing there last Spring, he really seems like he had the build and athleticism for the spot.  I just really wonder why the Angels haven't put him in that position more often.  There doesn't seem to be anything in AAA that's so great that he needs to be in the OF.  In fact, all things considering throughout the year, they've had plenty of OF's come through.       

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

with his big arm, have they tried him at 3b? 

That's a good question and it may be they don't believe he has the first step quickness to pull off 3B.   Speaking of 3B, I really want to see Grant Green play there before the season is over because his footwork at 2B is awful.   Dude, is a statue