• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The new greatest catch of all time

Eh, it was a good catch I guess. He jumped up high and caught it. It just so happened that the outfield wall is short right there. He had plenty of time to get under it and was at a dead stop when he jumped. I've seen catches like that at the wall plenty of times. Usually the wall isn't so short the player falls over.

I still think you should be required to land in the playing field with it for it to be an out. If I wrote the rules that would be a home run.

I think that if you catch it like that, and fall over the wall like that, if there are any runners, and there are less than two outs, the runners should be allowed to advance like a ground rule double.  Or the opposite, they aren't allowed to tag up, like an automatic time out.  Just something, to prevent possible injury of the player or fans when he needs to jump back over the wall like he did.  His cleat got caught on that guy's shirt.  Imagine if his cleat got really stuck in there, and he went face first onto the warning track.  Or imagine if there was a little kid there instead.  Their head would be in perfect kicking height.  The reentry just looked kind of dangerous.

The Edmonds catch in Kansas City.

IMO, that ranks right up there with the famous "Wertz Catch" made by Willie Mays in the World Series (vs. Cleveland).

The thing about the Wertz catch -- and it was a great catch made by a super athlete who really dug (ran) for the ball turning his back to home plate and sprinting after it to catch up to it in the never-ending centerfield of the old Polo Grounds -- was really the twirl and throw -- and what a throw Mays made.

Edmonds made a great catch and then, also, a throw.........

I'd rank Edmonds catch even or more with the Wertz catch.

some may recall, but during that time, that season, Edmonds was seemingly making one highlight reel catch after another -- the KC catch was the best of them and made about a week after he had made another really great highlight reel catch........

Torri Hunter was another king of the highlight reel -- he made some great HR saving catches for the Angels and back with Minnesota seemed to be making them so routinely, almost, it was amazing and people just expected him to keep all those gopher balls in the ballyard.........

that was an amazing catch.  how can a guy look so awful on defense and do something like that?

There were a couple of comments on the broadcast about how they were helping Schuck work on his routes and defense.

Edmonds catch was out number three so he didn't make a throw.

the thing that made the Wertz catch so great -- in addition to the catch -- and I think the Edmonds actual catch was better than the Wertz catch -- is that Mays twirled and threw a strike back into the infield to stop the runner(s) from advancing..........incredible play.

thanks for that highlight reel -- when the announcer narrating it says -- Edmonds has made some amazing catches -- what he doesn't mention is that highlight reel of catches could well have been during that one season -- the year of 'The Catch' Edmonds seemed to be making one highlight reel catch after another with each one better than the one before......he had a span of games there home and away of about a month where that was happening and 'The Catch' was sort of the exclamation point to the catches....... 

the guy was an amazing outfielder.........a great ballplayer.  Too bad he developed some attitude issues and later some injuries because those early years of his in Anaheim, he was an all around player, great D, power (35 HRs a season type guy), good BA etc.  Then his attitude (if I recall he and Chuck Finley didn't get along too well) and he was sort of prima dona in the clubhouse all further messed up by the Terry Collins era debacle..........the ugly uniforms recall sort of an ugly period in Halos history.........

despite all that (and Edmonds interview remarks to SI upon reporting to the St. Louis Cardinals clubhouse after the trade -- we got AK and Kent Bottenfield), Edmonds remains an all time Halo great for his performance on the field and those great defensive catches as well as the overall defensive prowess he showed out in CF.