• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bourjos or Calhoun?

axalar

Would you rather the Angels start Bourjos or Calhoun?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather the Angels start Bourjos or Calhoun?

Let's be realistic here with Kole Calhoun:

He has no path to a permanent starting position on this team unless we trade Peter Bourjos. So the simple choice is between trading Bourjos and starting Calhoun, or starting Bourjos and letting Calhoun develop in AAA (or trading him).

For any of those wondering why Bourjos must go in order for Calhoun to play, consider how many games Pujols has played at 1B. We have no depth at the position for those suggesting a Trumbo trade, and no one else could be positioned in such a way as to allow Calhoun to make a serious impact for more than a couple of weeks this year.

Bourjos > Calhoun. Not debatable really as Calhoun as proven 0 at the MLB level.

Calhoun or even Josh Hamilton could play 1B.

You should consider moving anybody not named Trout this offseason depending on the potential return. Considering our horrific farm system and lack of pitching depth one would think Trumbo or Bourjos would be moved.

Again, it's all about one can get in return for the player.

I'd like to see Trumbo traded, Hawpe DFAed, Shuck benched, and Calhoun called up to start until Bourjos gets back, then as a 4th outfielder/back-up first baseman. The Angels need to see what they have in Calhoun, and given that Trumbo offers significantly more trade value but not a lot more actual value, he should be traded. Doubt this will happen, though.

As far as next year goes, whoever is the 4th outfielder should get plenty of games - with Bourjos and Hamilton in the lineup, not to mention Pujols.

(it's not like he was a first round draft pick)?

Not sure why this matters...tons of first round draft picks flame while some later round guys become All Stars

As for who to trade?  I'd deal Trumbo before Bourjos and see what I got in Calhoun while the games are less important.

Not sure why this matters...tons of first round draft picks flame while some later round guys become All Stars

As for who to trade?  I'd deal Trumbo before Bourjos and see what I got in Calhoun while the games are less important.

I didn't mean it like that. I know there's a ton of players that aren't first round draft picks and even late round draft picks that go on to become all stars. I meant you don't normally trade players to make guys like Calhoun a starter immediately (like you would a Trout or a top 100 prospect). It's not like he showed anything in his very brief time in the majors in 2012. If he was already up and playing in place of Shuck  all year and playing really well, then I could see figuring out a way for him to get full time at bats. I'd trade Trumbo over Bourjos too.   

Lol. He's only had 25 ML ab's and you already want to start him full time because of his minor league numbers (it's not like he was a first round draft pick)? Trumbo can be traded with Calhoun playing 1B.  

I'm actually on the Bourjos > Calhoun wagon. I posed the question the way I did hoping to not show my bias initially.

As far as the Calhoun at 1B question, he's HAS played 10% of his Minor League games there with a perfect fielding percentage thus far. He'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than Trumbo there. If that were the case, I wouldn't have too many reservations about trading Trumbo, other than the fact he has been fairly effective this season and seems to adapt pretty well (his changed swing seems to have been effective thus far and has walked more times than all of last season, already). I believe he'll have better numbers than 2012 by the end of this season.