• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upcoming trade deadline (July 30th)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, wopphil said:

We are more than a few. This team is screwed for the long term. Not only does the major league team suck, the farm is among the worst in baseball. We are in for a long, long drought. 

Then trade everyone.  This includes Detmer, Ohoppe, and Neto

Edited by stormngt

Guys that we should trade

* The one-year Bp arms (package them with the bigger guys)

* Anderson and Ward (trade them while there values are high)

* Drury (this M'f needs to start hitting the ball, and than get packaged with Ward) 

Consider trade, if it a nice return or keep

* Rengifo

Assess trade Value

* Sandoval

* Canning 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Guys that we should trade

* The one-year Bp arms (package them with the bigger guys)

* Anderson and Ward (trade them while there values are high)

* Drury (this M'f needs to start hitting the ball, and than get packaged with Ward) 

Consider trade, if it a nice return or keep

* Rengifo

Assess trade Value

* Sandoval

* Canning 

Add Adell and Detmer in the "assess trade value"

15 hours ago, stormngt said:

Add Adell and Detmer in the "assess trade value"

No reason at all to trade Detmers. If you are very lucky you get another Detmers for Detmers, but probably not. He’s 24 and has 3 years of control beyond this year. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

No reason at all to trade Detmers. If you are very lucky you get another Detmers for Detmers, but probably not. He’s 24 and has 3 years of control beyond this year. 

Yeah it would take an offer beyond the pale for me to move him. I’m still convinced he’s our ace the next few seasons.

This time of year we all get a little nutty around here, as we approach the Trade Deadline.

The reality is that the Angels are only going to move guys on expiring contracts, in all likelihood. If there are younger guys with years of control they are very likely going to keep them and build a base to take the additional steps needed to contend in the future. They have open payroll space, so they don't HAVE to move anyone. But I am sure if they get blown away by an offer on one of their guys that would be considered for the overall health of the team long term, but do we really have anyone that teams are going to be salivating over at the deadline?

Reality is they will only move players they don't see as longer-term members of their future contending squad. So that means they will try to sell off any veterans they can move, like Drury, Adrianza, et. al., or some of these bullpen pieces that are in their low-to-mid 30's that aren't likely staples to carry with them into the future. In the end, there is no reason to trade someone like Taylor Ward, for example, unless the Angels get an offer that is just too good to be true. We'd just be better off holding onto them and allow the team to build more momentum in the coming years. You can always move guys with additional years of control at later dates and still get the relatively same return you would by selling them too early. There is value and flexibility in extra years of control.

Capture.jpg

25 minutes ago, ettin said:

This time of year we all get a little nutty around here, as we approach the Trade Deadline.

The reality is that the Angels are only going to move guys on expiring contracts, in all likelihood. If there are younger guys with years of control they are very likely going to keep them and build a base to take the additional steps needed to contend in the future. They have open payroll space, so they don't HAVE to move anyone. But I am sure if they get blown away by an offer on one of their guys that would be considered for the overall health of the team long term, but do we really have anyone that teams are going to be salivating over at the deadline?

Reality is they will only move players they don't see as longer-term members of their future contending squad. So that means they will try to sell off any veterans they can move, like Drury, Adrianza, et. al., or some of these bullpen pieces that are in their low-to-mid 30's that aren't likely staples to carry with them into the future. In the end, there is no reason to trade someone like Taylor Ward, for example, unless the Angels get an offer that is just too good to be true. We'd just be better off holding onto them and allow the team to build more momentum in the coming years. You can always move guys with additional years of control at later dates and still get the relatively same return you would by selling them too early. There is value and flexibility in extra years of control.

Capture.jpg

I think you're pretty much spot on. Anyone on an expiring deal will surely be up for grabs.

My only additional thought is it may be time to consider moving players who are getting up there in arbitration years. Many small budget teams each year reset by trading a player who has 1 or 2 years of arbitration left. We just saw it with Miami dealing Arraez and Tampa has done it many times with Chris Archer, Austin Meadows, or Tyler Glasnow. If you're "right" about the player's long term evaluation, you can pull off a massive win of a deal. Every year many "value surplus" focused teams like the Yankees or Twins make trades for rental players who via arbitration aren't being paid as much as they maybe should be. Alex Verdugo would be a prime example. 

This brings Taylor Ward, Luis Rengifo, Patrick Sandoval, and maybe Griffin Canning into play. If any of these guys aren't going to be worth a big deal in the future, they also become trade candidates. Sandoval is making $10mm this year -- arbitration isn't cheap. I don't know if Perry in the last year of his deal has the long term focus to be thinking about these sort of things, but a wise GM might try to maximize these guys' value before they actually become expiring free agents. 

On 5/7/2024 at 2:15 PM, Angels 1961 said:

Do not forget Sano when he comes back.

Speaking of Sanó, I wonder when he’ll be back?

I thought they said something about him hopefully being back soon after the minimum, and I believe today was the 10th day.

3 hours ago, samwum said:

This brings Taylor Ward, Luis Rengifo, Patrick Sandoval, and maybe Griffin Canning into play. If any of these guys aren't going to be worth a big deal in the future, they also become trade candidates. Sandoval is making $10mm this year -- arbitration isn't cheap.

No. He's making $5.025M.

50 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

No. He's making $5.025M.

Oh good catch. I should have been more careful with that. I suppose Sandoval will be set to make $7mm-$10mm through arb next year. Probably a similar range to Ward and Rengifo who like Sandoval making ~$5mm this year.

13 hours ago, ettin said:

I don't know about salivating over but if Anderson keeps it up, or is close to what he's done so far, he will have a market in July.  A capable starting pitcher, if you want to move one, will always have a market in July.  That said, if the offers aren't terribly enticing, you can always keep him and hope he can keep it up in 2025 (or trade him in the offseason or at next year's trade deadline).  

On 5/8/2024 at 9:22 PM, Blarg said:

We are not approaching the trade deadline, it's only the 6th week of the season. It's like arriving at LAX 2-1/2 months before your plane is due to arrive. It's not time to pack yet. 

Yes, but people around here are already talking about trades, so the nutty AW.com season is already upon us.