• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brock Purdy Angels Connection

I know you all have your favorite NFL teams and some of you ( @Chuck ) hate the 49ers, but I just wanted to shine a light on this to maybe persuade you all to supporting the 49ers in the Superbowl. Brock Purdy is pretty known for being Mr. Irrelevant of the 2022 Draft, and now leading the 49ers to the Super Bowl this year after a disastrous UCL injury in the NFC championship game against the Eagles in 2022. UCL injuries are very rare in the NFL, unlike in Baseball.

His Dad, Shawn, was an Angels draft pick, played for the Angels minor leagues for a few years and unfortunately also had UCL issues, which derailed his career as TJ wasn't as common in the 1990's as it is today. They rehabbed it instead and he never made it to the majors. 

Shawn Purdy was the 16th round pick of the Angels in 1991 out of the University of Miami. That draft was quite bad as only 9 of the Angels picks even made the majors and the best pick was current Yankee manager Aaron Boone, who did not sign. The best Angels pick who did sign was Orlando Palmiero in the 33rd round. He and fellow 2002 Angel Jorge Fábregas were from this draft.  (Fabregas was traded midseason for Alex Ochoa, also a 91 draft pick by the Orioles). Our first round pick was Eduardo Perez. Benji Gil (Rangers) and Aaron Sele (Red Sox) were also in the first round of this draft. Shawn Green was drafted the pick before.

But back to Shawn Purdy, Brock's Dad. His Baseball-Reference page shows a typical almost made it story. https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=purdy-001sha

Shawn had pretty decent numbers as a starting pitcher in four years in the Angels minor league system, pitching with Troy Percival at a couple of spots and being on the same minor league team with Garrett Anderson and Palmiero and Fabregas in 1992.

He moved on to the Giants in 1995, after an elbow injury in 1994 with the Angels. Continuing the transition to relief with the Giants, he lasted three years with them before finishing his minor league career with the Braves in 1999 after a second injury to his elbow. He made it to AA with the Angels, then AAA with the Giants and Braves so in reality he wasn't that far from being a major league pitcher. He had a 1.83 ERA in the pen for Richmond in AAA his final year before his injury. 

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/9323625/shawn-purdy-baseball-brock-purdy-san-francisco-49ers/

Some of the quotes by his ex-teammates are funny. Anyway, a little better injury luck, maybe a bit better performance, and a bit of a better development staff for the Angels and this guy may have been in our pen for 2002. 

As a 49ers fan, what Brock Purdy is doing is incredible. And it's neat that his dad played in the minor leagues for my favorite Baseball team.

Other football players, including Brock's upcoming SB opponent, Patrick Mahomes, have had their parents play baseball. Patrick's father Pat had an 11 year major league career. 

I know we've mentioned it here in the past, but it's neat and I'm still over the moon after the comeback yesterday. 

Just now, mmc said:

As a fellow Rams fan I'm incredibly disappointed in you

I did say ONLY because I’m tired of the Chiefs.  🤪

Plus let them win and party all spring and summer.  They then become prey for the Rams pursuit of the division title in 2024 and home field for the first round.

@mmc Love the comment. Keep being you dude.

And for the record, the Rams left when I was 15, and I was already a 49ers fan, but to expect a city to support you after you left and then came back, is a joke. The Rams left an entire generation of LA fans to find another favorite team. 

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

I did say ONLY because I’m tired of the Chiefs.  🤪

Plus let them win and party all spring and summer.  They then become prey for the Rams pursuit of the division title in 2024 and home field for the first round.

The NFC West is gonna be fun for the next few seasons. I liked what the Rams did in this years draft and it seemed you all got a few really nice players, but yeah, fuck the Rams.

42 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I know you all have your favorite NFL teams and some of you ( @Chuck ) hate the 49ers, but I just wanted to shine a light on this to maybe persuade you all to supporting the 49ers in the Superbowl. Brock Purdy is pretty known for being Mr. Irrelevant of the 2022 Draft, and now leading the 49ers to the Super Bowl this year after a disastrous UCL injury in the NFC championship game against the Eagles in 2022. UCL injuries are very rare in the NFL, unlike in Baseball.

His Dad, Shawn, was an Angels draft pick, played for the Angels minor leagues for a few years and unfortunately also had UCL issues, which derailed his career as TJ wasn't as common in the 1990's as it is today. They rehabbed it instead and he never made it to the majors. 

Shawn Purdy was the 16th round pick of the Angels in 1991 out of the University of Miami. That draft was quite bad as only 9 of the Angels picks even made the majors and the best pick was current Yankee manager Aaron Boone, who did not sign. The best Angels pick who did sign was Orlando Palmiero in the 33rd round. He and fellow 2002 Angel Jorge Fábregas were from this draft.  (Fabregas was traded midseason for Alex Ochoa, also a 91 draft pick by the Orioles). Our first round pick was Eduardo Perez. Benji Gil (Rangers) and Aaron Sele (Red Sox) were also in the first round of this draft. Shawn Green was drafted the pick before.

But back to Shawn Purdy, Brock's Dad. His Baseball-Reference page shows a typical almost made it story. https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=purdy-001sha

Shawn had pretty decent numbers as a starting pitcher in four years in the Angels minor league system, pitching with Troy Percival at a couple of spots and being on the same minor league team with Garrett Anderson and Palmiero and Fabregas in 1992.

He moved on to the Giants in 1995, after an elbow injury in 1994 with the Angels. Continuing the transition to relief with the Giants, he lasted three years with them before finishing his minor league career with the Braves in 1999 after a second injury to his elbow. He made it to AA with the Angels, then AAA with the Giants and Braves so in reality he wasn't that far from being a major league pitcher. He had a 1.83 ERA in the pen for Richmond in AAA his final year before his injury. 

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/9323625/shawn-purdy-baseball-brock-purdy-san-francisco-49ers/

Some of the quotes by his ex-teammates are funny. Anyway, a little better injury luck, maybe a bit better performance, and a bit of a better development staff for the Angels and this guy may have been in our pen for 2002. 

As a 49ers fan, what Brock Purdy is doing is incredible. And it's neat that his dad played in the minor leagues for my favorite Baseball team.

Other football players, including Brock's upcoming SB opponent, Patrick Mahomes, have had their parents play baseball. Patrick's father Pat had an 11 year major league career. 

I know we've mentioned it here in the past, but it's neat and I'm still over the moon after the comeback yesterday. 

I appreciate this post, @Hubs. But mainly for our SF 49ers fans here. 

As a Seahawks fan you know I have that rival hatred in my blood toward anyone in the NFC West. 

39 minutes ago, Hubs said:

And for the record, the Rams left when I was 15, and I was already a 49ers fan, but to expect a city to support you after you left and then came back, is a joke. The Rams left an entire generation of LA fans to find another favorite team. 

Then it must be tough to be a Santa Clara Niners fan. 

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Then it must be tough to be a Santa Clara Niners fan. 

Santa Clara... lol just like Anaheim Angels hahahaha. 

39 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I appreciate this post, @Hubs. But mainly for our SF 49ers fans here. 

As a Seahawks fan you know I have that rival hatred in my blood toward anyone in the NFC West. 

You bleed Angels Red first. And if Purdy's dad had pitched for the Angels, especially in 2002, you'd have been rooting for him. Unless he was playing the Seahawks.

I'm gonna get a Angels Jersey T with Purdy and #13. LOL

Just now, CaliAngel said:

That's a low bar to set the standard for what qualifies as brave.

NO POLITICS!

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Different ownership now

The POS former owner is the one for Rams fans to rag about, and not the franchise.

Stan Kroenke is a hero for bringing them back.

Next bit of heroism, buying the Halos

Edited by Angel Oracle