• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

On 2/3/2024 at 6:40 PM, jsnpritchett said:

I don't hate the move. I'm just pretty much this guy on it: 

Bored Come On GIF

You are like Alfred E. Newman's brother but instead of, What, me worry? You are, What, me care?

MLB.com did an "All-Underrated" Team.  Two Angels showed up on it--though I will say that their requirements for who CAN'T be on the list are pretty broad.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-all-underrated-team-2024

"These are the requirements for the All-Underrated Team (for now, at least):

1. No All-Star appearances, ever in the player’s career.
  2. No BBWAA awards (MVP, Cy Young or Rookie of the Year), ever in the player’s career.
  3. No Silver Slugger or Gold Glove honors, ever in the player’s career.
  4. No All-MLB Team honors, ever in the player’s career.
  5. No inclusion on MLB Network’s current “Top 10 Right Now!” lists.
  6. No nine-figure contracts.
  7. At least two years of service time.

Second base: Luis Rengifo, Angels

An extremely difficult position to fill, given our ultra-strict parameters. So let’s just use it to give a nod of appreciation for a guy who has provided the Angels with better-than-average offense (a .751 OPS, 107 OPS+, 33 homers, 37 doubles) over the past two seasons while playing six different positions (with the bulk of his time coming at second).

Actually, if the season were somehow made entirely of the second half, Rengifo’s .829 OPS after the All-Star break over the past two years would earn him more acclaim.

Left field: Taylor Ward, Angels

In 2023, Ward set out to prove that his age-28 breakout (.281/.360/.473 slash) was not an aberration. He didn’t get to complete the task, because a fastball to the face on July 29 prematurely ended a season in which he slashed a decidedly less-exciting .253/.335/.421.

So why is he our left fielder here? Well, for one, Ward moved over to left field from the other corner and ranked third at his new position in Outs Above Average. And as far as the offense is concerned, he seemingly pressed when thrust into the Angels’ leadoff role at the start of the season. Ward actually had strong OPS marks above .870 while batting third, fourth, fifth and sixth. So maybe don’t pencil him into the leadoff spot, but also don’t write him off as a one-year fluke."